How easy is the xmaxx to live with?

Good afternoon,

I'm strongly considering buying the new x maxx 8s. However initially I'm planning to run it on 6s. As I've mentioned due to illness I would find having to repair and do continuess maintenance very difficult. If I where to drive the truck on 6s using care where I drive it and only bashing it the odd time, should the xmaxx be low on repairs and maintenance?

I would appreciate any owners opinions on the above please.

If indeed repairs or maintenance was required is the truck easy worked on and parts replaced without being too fiddly?

My thoughts on this are that things break mostly when you Tim Taylor (Power up or over power.) Them. 6s will definitely cause more damage than 6s,

The other factor is that if you have limited hand ability, how do you think you will be able to handle a 20# vehicle going 50mph or more?

Personally I'd recommend the Rustler 4x4 VXL...other than repacing the shock caps (3s) I've never had any issues with it while running 2s.

That's a fair point however I have only problems with smaller things like body clips, repairs etc on my slash ��

RC Qualifier
    I’ve been running my Xmaxx on 8s and while I don’t bash hard, I’ve never had to do any repairs to date....
    https://www.youtube.com/iftibashir

I tend to be a "can do" kind of a guy. I also tend to be a "where there is a will, there is a way" kind of a guy. (IMO) buy an 8s Xmaxx, play with it on 6s (or 8s in training mode), play with it in a super big area (where finesse isn't necessary), have someone with you (in case you need a hand), and go have some well disserved fun.

If on occasion it breaks, let your local hobby shop (or friend) handle it for you. If you lived in my area, I'd have no problem fixing it for you. If you felt guilty (even though you're Not Guilty), I'd let you treat me to lunch every now and again...no big deal. I think most regular RC guys would be that way.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 08-25-2019 at 09:20 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Enthusiast
    Xmaxx is one of the most durable and easiest to work on. Get it and enjoy just make sure you dont run out of lipo power while out or you will have to carry a 25-30lbs truck back and that is no fun lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Guy's a couple of questions ;;
    Why are my threads limited to 1 per day?

I've made up my mind as YOLO!!! ON Purchasing the new x maxx 8s. Having recently got back into rc should I choose the 6s batteries until I get more practice or would you go straight to 8s? Is there a really big difference between the performance 6s vs 8s

RC Enthusiast
    8s. Just do it lol

Think you are right. Ride the lightening!!!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Blowin View Post
    8s. Just do it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Not Guilty View Post
    Guy's a couple of questions ;;
    Why are my threads limited to 1 per day?

I've made up my mind as YOLO!!! ON Purchasing the new x maxx 8s. Having recently got back into rc should I choose the 6s batteries until I get more practice or would you go straight to 8s? Is there a really big difference between the performance 6s vs 8s
    I cannot speak for the X-Maxx on 8s however the Rustler on 3s is a huge difference than 2s and same with the E-Revo...

The X-Maxx can do a lot of damage even on 6s (I dented my car door with a cartwheeling E-Revo!)...what kind of area do you have to drive? What is your RC experience and how limiting is your issue?

I would start slow if I were you.

Be responsible, learn and have something to look forward to once you are comfortable and ready for more! You'll have more fun, less trouble and like I said...something to look forward to.

RC Enthusiast
    You can always turn the xmaxx down to limit the power, why not give yourself the full experience? Start out slow and if you can handle the 8s xmaxx at full power than atleast you'll have it and not have to spend more money, time and effort to get the full power...

One last thing guys!
    As I'm based in the UK the Two main dealers are wheelspin models & modelsport. I was wondering could you take a quick look for me and advice on one of their combos.? They same a bit pricey!! On the other hand I don't have any batteries or charger at present.

Would appreciate a bit of guidance as this is a considerable investment for me and would like to get it right from the start.....

Look forward to hearing from you so I can finally pull the trigger ���� lol

RC Enthusiast
    Hey bro. I too have a disability. When working on my trucks I cant say change a shock as fast as others but I always get it done. Ive always been good at repairing almost anything. I’ve had repairs that I know would be more work than what it’s worth so I’ll take my truck to the hobby shop and the repairs are never much. Plus people on the forum are always helpful and YouTube is probably the most helpful tool I have. And when I drive my truck I drive more in open fields compared to tight turns that I can reck on.

To answer your question I’ve had my X Maxx for three months and can’t drive much right now bc the heat. I have a 8s but have always ran 6s bc that’s what I already have. My 1st run I bent a shock I easily replaced myself 2nd run my spur gear came loose and I just had to retighten. And no problems since then. A few weeks ago I upgraded the servo to a 2085x but that’s bc I wanted to and not bc I had to. And this week I’ll oil my bearings and replace any that’s needed. But the Xmaxx is easy to work on. I find it easier than my slash. But the xmaxx has a lot of power (even on 6s) and if you hit the wrong thing it could easily be a fix that’s $$$$.

So I wanted my xmaxx bad enough so I’ve learned how to repair it. If you can do some repairs than yes you should get one. If you need to take it to a hobby shop for every repair that’s not only expensive but ifs the hobby shop stays busy waiting on the repair could be weeks. But the xmaxx is a lot of fun so good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Guilty View Post
    One last thing guys!
    As I'm based in the UK the Two main dealers are wheelspin models & modelsport. I was wondering could you take a quick look for me and advice on one of their combos.? They same a bit pricey!! On the other hand I don't have any batteries or charger at present.

Would appreciate a bit of guidance as this is a considerable investment for me and would like to get it right from the start.....

Look forward to hearing from you so I can finally pull the trigger ���� lol
    I can't say what a good deal is over there, but I would suggest buying at a LHS if there is one. First, it's good to keep those little guys alive, second, they are the first line of action for warranty issues.

Did you ever watch any kevin Talbot videos? Or reach out to him? I don't know exactly where he is but he's closer to you thn us 'Mericans.

As for my set up, it's the X-Maxx RNR edition...I only run 6s batteries in it and have the dual 3s charger. I would need to get another charger to go 8s...I may someday, but for now I'm happy with 6s.

If you know you want 8s go for the 4s charger right off.

I bought my X-Maxx after owning other cars and having already purchased a 3s charger. I didn't feel like adding another $200 to the tab...as it was I was getting a Defender at the same time so the tab was already high enough.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I drive my 8s very hard. It's the toughest rc I've ever owned. On 6s you should not have any maintenance issues. Stay away from hitting solid objects at high speeds, and you shouldn't have any crash damage for a long time but either.

I rarely break anything pounding it on 8s...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    The 8s X-Maxx used on 6s should hold up to the use/abuse very well.
    From my experience the only weakness was the differentials when used hard on 8s. In your scenario of use on 6s I think the truck would be great!
    Plus there is that wow factor based on it's size.

I am aware of the other brand/model you are considering and have had both. The extra weight of this x-maxx is something that could lead to damage. The overall cost of ownership may be something to consider. A set of pro-line tires for the XMaxx runs about $170.00 ish.
    The Xmaxx is a bit more top heavy versus that other RC you are looking at (potential for rolls or cartwheels).
    Last edited by LibertyMKiii; 08-26-2019 at 08:06 AM.

Not looking to bash??? Hypothetical question ;;

If I just wanted a good quality rig for blasting around on sand, gravel and grass. And not interested in bashing on purpose what models would you consider?

PS..... I'm sorry for starting a sort of thread here, however the system won't allow me to create a new thread!!!!! I've contacted support, however in the meantime could anyone explain why this would be happening? Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Another thing to stay away from is water. Yes the electronics are waterproof. But the screws will rust. Tires will become waterlogged and rip apart at speed. And the bearings will deteriorate quickly.
    Water won’t hurt an x-maxx right away. It’s the days after when the bearings start to lockup.

RC Qualifier
    Not sure why you are thread limited but keep the questions going.