RC poster

Traxxas replacement part doesn't match stock item...

Greetings...new member, new owner...newly addicted, and loving it.

I'm replacing a few parts on my Stampede 4x4 VXL, in this issue, the front steering blocks.

Part# 6837, and I got the Traxxas 6837R, aluminum red replacement.

The stock part has two wing-like pieces where the linkage connects...yet the aluminum only has a single piece to connect.

Am I missing something here? Where would the linkage connect, if not sandwiched in between? I did get some bearings, but the back side of the block looks to be bigger than what I thought I needed...

You received the correct part. With the plastic part, the bolt goes through one side, through the turnbuckle end-cap, and then attaches to the other side of the steering block. With the aluminum part, the bolt just goes through the turnbuckle end-cap, and then attaches to the steering block. However...and, you NEED to remember this...when using metal parts, where a bolt screws into said metal part, you NEED to use Loctite on the bolt. Plastic parts do an excellent job of "holding" the metal bolt in place...metal parts, on the other hand, don't hold at all. If you fail to use Loctite, the bolt will eventually loosen itself, and fall out. This van be a VERY bad thing, especially when said vehicle is on a clay track (thankfully, I wad just practicing).

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    You can always use a slightly longer screw and put a lock-nut on it, Traxxas #2745 and with my Stampede it shows a 15mm screw but you can change it out for the 18mm part #2583 and it should work or the part # 2580 which is 20mm and grind it down if need be.

RC poster
    Thanks for the replies.. I got it all back together and blasted around my yard for hours.

I feel it definitely handles better with the aluminum casters, blocks and axle carriers, and better ball bearings all around. And it's certainly tougher, took some bigger jumps and got bashed, no damage.

I also put in RPM arms and a bumper, which got tested a few times...

And will take note on the Loctite.. I did use some on my truck, and will check to make sure all metal to metal is good, and I have to go back and do the same on my wife's 2WD Pede, as we already found one screw working it's way out..

Thanks again...

The other side effect of not using locktite on aluminum parts is that as it does loosen, it will typically rip the last few threads out when the screw comes out. Then you only have 3-4 threads left holding it together.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    Got Loctite applied to all metal-to-metal contact...unless I missed something.. And I'll keep an eye on both trucks for a while, figure if they don't back out much within the first few days, they're probably good.

And so much better handling all around it seems...not to mention, as the truck is coming towards me, I can see some of the colored metal, and it looks pretty cool, especially on a little side to side action..

Thanks again to all...