RC Qualifier

Best driveshafts discussion?

Hi guys, ever since I got rid of my rustler vxl i've always missed it(it was my first electric hobby grade rc). I have a slash 2wd brushed and I started picking parts off it after the place I used to race it got shut down. But I decided to convert it into a rustler vxl.

I did grab some traxxas tra6852x shafts, but after doing some reading on these forums, I like these tekno shafts: https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr1951...stampede-rear/

I think I used to run the 6852x shafts back in the day, but they did start to oval out the plastic u joints.

But the bummer about the tekno shafts is that you are committed to that type of rear hub carrier due to the different beefier bigger bearings. I fear there isn't an aluminum compatible replacement for them. I don't know how strong the plastic tekno hubs are anyway...

I was looking at the traxxas 1951r shafts, but the price kinda turns me away, while I like they have the ability to pack them full of some nice premium moly grease, that drastically reduces wear.

Yes I have done a lot of research I just can't decide on the best, and kinda wanted to hear what you guys have found to be the best.

Thanks guys
    -Spence
    Last edited by Spencer911; 08-25-2019 at 08:50 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer911 View Post
    Hi guys, ever since I got rid of my rustler vxl i've always missed it(it was my first electric hobby grade rc). I have a slash 2wd brushed and I started picking parts off it after the place I used to race it got shut down. But I decided to convert it into a rustler vxl.

I did grab some traxxas tra6852x shafts, but after doing some reading on these forums, I like these tekno shafts: https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr1951...stampede-rear/

I think I used to run the 6852x shafts back in the day, but they did start to oval out the plastic u joints.

But the bummer about the tekno shafts is that you are committed to that type of rear hub carrier due to the different beefier bigger bearings. I fear there isn't an aluminum compatible replacement for them. I don't know how strong the plastic tekno hubs are anyway...

I was looking at the traxxas 1951r shafts, but the price kinda turns me away, while I like they have the ability to pack them full of some nice premium moly grease, that drastically reduces wear.

Yes I have done a lot of research I just can't decide on the best, and kinda wanted to hear what you guys have found to be the best.

Thanks guys
    -Spence
    I would strongly vote for the MIP X-Duty: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mip...-11104%3famp=1

Requires about as much care and maintenance as your wheel bearings I would say. I havenít used the grease in mine, rather this other stuff here: https://www.amazon.com/Sentry-Soluti.../dp/B000Q82HSY

Iíve read that using grease with open CVDís like the MIP can create kind of a abrasive paste when the dirt gets in. With the tuf-glide thereís enough lubrication and itís a great rust inhibitor. I clean and relube mine whenever the bearings are smoked and need replacing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
    I would strongly vote for the MIP X-Duty: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mip...-11104%3famp=1

Requires about as much care and maintenance as your wheel bearings I would say. I haven’t used the grease in mine, rather this other stuff here: https://www.amazon.com/Sentry-Soluti.../dp/B000Q82HSY

I’ve read that using grease with open CVD’s like the MIP can create kind of a abrasive paste when the dirt gets in. With the tuf-glide there’s enough lubrication and it’s a great rust inhibitor. I clean and relube mine whenever the bearings are smoked and need replacing.

Cool thanks man, likely when I blow through the stock shafts, and the 6852x shafts, I'll give MIP X duty shafts a shot. Wow they're pricey tho. Tuf glide sounds like an awesome product.

RC Racer
    Cool thanks man, likely when I blow through the stock shafts, and the 6852x shafts, I'll give MIP X duty shafts a shot. Wow they're pricey tho. Tuf glide sounds like an awesome product.
    Glad to help! I stumbled upon the tuf glide some late night, browsing forums. Iíve used it for all kinds of stuff around the house too. Works great on hinges!

RC Qualifier
    now the question is lol, MIP x duty or Traxxas 1951r's? Same price lol, the MIP is likely tougher

RC Racer
    now the question is lol, MIP x duty or Traxxas 1951r's? Same price lol, the MIP is likely tougher

And yeah, those MIPís are pricey, but they really do seem just about unbreakable. And theyíre serviceable too which is nice. You can also use stock hubs.

Thereís a video on YouTube of a guy twisting and snapping a series of driveshafts. Then the MIP one breaks his jig. Good stuff!

RC Qualifier
    And yeah, those MIP’s are pricey, but they really do seem just about unbreakable. And they’re serviceable too which is nice. You can also use stock hubs.

There’s a video on YouTube of a guy twisting and snapping a series of driveshafts. Then the MIP one breaks his jig. Good stuff!

Was it groutaone? lol

RC Racer
    Was it groutaone? lol

Thatís the one! I donít think thatís even the X-duty model. I know the one I got for my Rustler has a much thicker shaft.
    That was the video that sold me!

RC Racer
    Hi again, I just had my rear end apart and snapped a pic for you to look at, so you can see how stout these CVDs are. Also, I read in multiple forums that a lot of people were not in favor of using grease at the CVD joint. Some folks went dry, others used light oil with mixed results.

I have used this tuf-glide only and it works very well, seeing their condition for the first time after a summer of hard driving in all sorts of conditions. Once the stuff dries, it doesnít really attract dirt, and it definitely protects from rust about as good as anything Iíve ever seen. Did you buy anything as of yet?

RC Qualifier
    Hi again, I just had my rear end apart and snapped a pic for you to look at, so you can see how stout these CVDs are. Also, I read in multiple forums that a lot of people were not in favor of using grease at the CVD joint. Some folks went dry, others used light oil with mixed results.

I have used this tuf-glide only and it works very well, seeing their condition for the first time after a summer of hard driving in all sorts of conditions. Once the stuff dries, it doesnít really attract dirt, and it definitely protects from rust about as good as anything Iíve ever seen. Did you buy anything as of yet?

Wow! Those are clean no rust! Do you apply the tuf glide to all the driveshaft parts? As of now I have the 6852x (stock traxxas 4x4 shafts) and the stockers, waiting on currently hinge pins, and some other fasteners to bring it back to life. I guess I'll go MIP x duty when I break both lol

RC Racer
    Wow! Those are clean no rust! Do you apply the tuf glide to all the driveshaft parts? As of now I have the 6852x (stock traxxas 4x4 shafts) and the stockers, waiting on currently hinge pins, and some other fasteners to bring it back to life. I guess I'll go MIP x duty when I break both lol
    Yeah, this stuff works great against rust! It lubricates well too. I use it on my pocket knife, door hinges, whatever...

I use this thing here, called the tuff-cloth. Itís basically just pre-moistened with the same stuff as whatís in the bottle. Pretty sure you can re-wet it if you need to, but Iíve found it to last a long time.

RC Racer
    In areas where you canít reach with the cloth, just use the pin oiler. It uses mineral spirits as a carrier, so it gets everywhere. I think they call it creep or something. Itís creepy for sure. Hereís a pic after the install...

RC Racer
    Hereís a pic after driving (before cleaning) on loose clay and some dirt. It picks up a little dirt, but itís not sticky, so it brushes right off.

RC Qualifier
    the rustler 4x4 shafts hold up well, and are very light weight, i put a screw thru the male end to strenghthen them a bit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Role View Post
    the rustler 4x4 shafts hold up well, and are very light weight, i put a screw thru the male end to strenghthen them a bit
    Cool thanks

RC Qualifier
    In areas where you can’t reach with the cloth, just use the pin oiler. It uses mineral spirits as a carrier, so it gets everywhere. I think they call it creep or something. It’s creepy for sure. Here’s a pic after the install...

Sweet truck man, looks like a beast! Thanks for your advice

RC Competitor
    Nice truck! I just have rustler 4x4 shafts in mine they have been holding up good so far but I haven’t really beat on it yet. In my other rustler I have hot racing driveshafts.seem to be holding up well.

RC Racer
    Thanks! Iíve heard those 4x4 shafts are pretty tough. I think Role said he puts a screw through one end to toughen them up.