RC Racer

Speed run data and Ricky Bobby syndrome

Hooked up the rc gps speedo to my truck and did some runs with the 11 and 15 tooth pinions. I have the Velineon brushless 3s setup and managed 30 mph on my 11/54 and 40 on 15/54 setups (On 3s power). I am thinking that is about right but a little confused after reading a bunch of old posts in the forum. I did upgrade the drive shafts to metal and the hardened steel gears for the pinion and spur so I can handle more power, but short of paying $250 for a used Funny Car motor and searching some bottom of the google search places for a castle 2400kv setup what would my best choice be to get the thing at least to around 60 mph? I'd love to build a speedster and have my eye on several rollers on ebay to maybe go that route for fun later, but I'm having a need for a little more speed.
    I WANNA GO FAST! Hahahahaha

I feel the need...the need for speed.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    I honestly recommend leaving the Slash as is if you can find a Roller on eBay for a good price. Keep the SCT and have a speed rig also.

You will find the speed setup is not very usable for general everyday use.

Quote Originally Posted by calebgilmore View Post
    Hooked up the rc gps speedo to my truck and did some runs with the 11 and 15 tooth pinions. I have the Velineon brushless 3s setup and managed 30 mph on my 11/54 and 40 on 15/54 setups (On 3s power). I am thinking that is about right but a little confused after reading a bunch of old posts in the forum. I did upgrade the drive shafts to metal and the hardened steel gears for the pinion and spur so I can handle more power, but short of paying $250 for a used Funny Car motor and searching some bottom of the google search places for a castle 2400kv setup what would my best choice be to get the thing at least to around 60 mph? I'd love to build a speedster and have my eye on several rollers on ebay to maybe go that route for fun later, but I'm having a need for a little more speed.
    I WANNA GO FAST! Hahahahaha
    That seems slow to me. You may want to check to see if anything is binding or check your bearings. Mine with the stock two pole motor system, geared 13/54 with a 3s lipo hits the low 50 mpg range. What brand of lipo are you using?
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    That seems slow to me. You may want to check to see if anything is binding or check your bearings. Mine with the stock two pole motor system, geared 13/54 with a 3s lipo hits the low 50 mpg range. What brand of lipo are you using?

After digging on here I found the brushed truck's diffs are geared way down. I already had the xo-1 diffs and the right ring/pinions so I put them in and hit 50 with the 15 tooth pinion but didn't have enough room to properly stretch it out. Also on the second pull I got into the brake more than planned, flipped the truck end over end, and smashed the bearing in the back of the motor case. Now I can't get the outer race out of that motor! Tried the wedging the nut driver in trick, no dice, cut an easy out bit to fit and not stick through the end of the can, no dice, cut a flat bottom tap to where it started on the threads and drove/screwed that in, still didn't bite well enough to get it out! no clue what to try next. I bought a VXL chassis on ebay last week and put that Castle 2560 in it last night while upgrading the other parts. Looks like the VXL might be close to the same size as the 5379r/6879r but with a little less beef to them. I ordered another used velineon in case we end up breaking the cup for the bearing on the end of the motor we can't get the race out of but hope to get this thing out soon. I was thinking of sticking to 13/54 in it to just use as a mud basher and save the castle setup truck to use on the dry since it seems the mamba x has some issues with a lot of water getting in/on it (maybe just the fan?). I put the 18 tooth pinion on it but have a 17-21 tooth set I can tweak with. I think my speed run days are over for now since I broke the new gps speedo on the flipping disaster so i'll stick with something I can run a battery or two through and not burn the motor up.
    On a side note if you go to a high school track that is rubber and keep your badlands on your truck it will hook up extremely well hahahahahahaha. That's good and bad at the same time!

Yes you are right the fans on most setups are the weak link in the water proof efforts. Best to disconnect/remove fans before doing wet events.

RC Competitor
    Sorry bud have to do it "Oh Gosh Please Help Me Oprah!" man I love that movie

But in all seriousness i'd say a 4s system maybe a hobbywing ezrun sc8 esc with a 2650kv hobbystar motor

With the right gearing you might be able to hit 60 without breaking the bank

Onyx
    I'm Just A Guy With A Sl4sh

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfOnyx View Post
    Sorry bud have to do it "Oh Gosh Please Help Me Oprah!" man I love that movie

But in all seriousness i'd say a 4s system maybe a hobbywing ezrun sc8 esc with a 2650kv hobbystar motor

With the right gearing you might be able to hit 60 without breaking the bank

Onyx
    I broke the bank and then some hahahahaha. Bought a VXL roller chassis, put tekno drive shafts all the way around, aluminum wheel nuts, xo-1 diffs, and the mamba monster x/castle 2650. i'll stick to 3s and 18/54 pinions til my bank card cools down and maybe i'll buy a 4s battery to put in it and change the gearing. (robinson racing spur/pinion in it now)