RC Enthusiast

battery protection

Hey everybody. I am really new to the world of RC. I bought a 2WD Slash earlier this summer, have had a lot of fun just trying to figure out how to drive it and how it all works. I have only taken it out 4 or 5 times. Most of the time I take it to a local park where I can run in short grass and mulch, sometimes I take it out in the back lot at work where I can run in gravel. I noticed that the battery wouldn't charge recently and now my charger shows a slow blinking red light indicating that there is a problem with the fuse. I checked the fuse in the charger and it is fine according to my multimeter. My battery looks a little beat up so I wonder if that is the issue. A couple of questions though:

1. is there some kind of cover that is recommended to protect the battery under the body?

2. should I bother cutting the plastic casing off of the battery pack and attempt to repair myself?

I should also clarify this is the stock NiMH battery pack that comes with a RTR Slash.

RC Qualifier
    I would get a 2s Lipo it will be
    Pros
    About the same power
    Longer runtime

Cons
    Needs different charger
    Needs more care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I haven't seen anybody run a cover over the battery, but I'm sure there is one out there.
    Since you have a multimeter check the voltage on the battery before opening it. Could be one of the solder joints came apart.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
    I haven't seen anybody run a cover over the battery, but I'm sure there is one out there.
    Since you have a multimeter check the voltage on the battery before opening it. Could be one of the solder joints came apart.
    I did check the voltage and if I remember correctly it seemed very low like .9 VDC. I will check it again after I get off work to confirm

First, do not recommend covering the battery, just like the rest of your electronics, it needs air circulation.

Second, do you run your NiMH until the truck can no longer move? And, by "beat up", do you mean that the heat shrink is melted? If so, you have likely killed your pack.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    I metered the battery this morning and it came out to 1.0 VDC.

When I run the truck, I typically go until the truck gets slow, not until it won't move anymore.

The clear plastic casing on the battery does not look melted, but rather scuffed.

I am leaning toward getting a new battery pack but just want to make sure there is noting I can do to repair this one.

RC Qualifier
    If you get a new one I would get a hard case Lipo so it will be much more protected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What charger do you have?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    What charger do you have?
    4 Amp NiMH charger, PN 2975

RC Competitor
    The cheapest, easiest solution would be to take your battery to the hobby shop and see if they can assist in diagnosing the problem. Given you have only a nimh charger, the next cheapest is to buy another nimh battery.

Stepping up from there, buying a lipo capable charger and a lipo battery pile be next, but you will definitely need to do a little learning. Lipos are the spoiled toddlers of the battery world - huge amounts of energy, but temperamental.

RC Enthusiast
    I heard back from Traxxas. They think that the battery may have been drained to a point that my charger won't recognize it. I spoke with the local hobby shop and they think they can recharge it on their charger. I'll go that route first. Not against buying a new NiMH battery, I knew the LiPos are great but sound like there is a bit more to maintain them. Maybe someday I will do the LiPo swap.

There are only a couple of key differences in the care and feeding between lipo and NIMH. Two key differences is needing to put your ESC into lipo mode, which is easily done, and once completely switched, something you shouldn't have to worry about again. The second is charging. A 2S pack (7.4VDC) has two lipo cells wired in series, and each cell needs to be maintained, and the charge needs to be balanced between the two; this is done by the charger.

RC Enthusiast
    Got my battery back from the hobby store. They said they cycled it charging and discharging all night and said it took a charge the next day. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but hope to this weekend.