RC Racer

FLM Super Tranny and diff issue

So I had an unusual experience last night. Iím running the FLM super tranny with the traxxas 6882x internal spider gears, without the I-bar (FLM tech desk said that was the way to go).

I was just taking a test run after making some little tweaks to the front hubs and after driving pretty hard on a clay softball diamond, a little bit in the grass, and then just some loops around the asphalt, I parked the car- everything seemed and sounded fine.

Then I went to start up again and the car jerked to the left. When I picked it up, I found the left rear wheel wouldnít spin freely, it felt like the gears were out of sync. The right side spun by hand normally, but the left remained frozen. I set the car down and gave a quick half throttle blip, and it clicked a little and went back to normal. Has anybody else had this issue with the spider gears?

I was planning on rebuilding this tranny at some point so that I can use the STRC layshaft and VTS slipper, but Iím wondering if I should replace the internal gears and install the I-bar. Any input is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    i had an issue with the ibar hitting the gears a bit, no issues without the bar for me

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Role View Post
    i had an issue with the ibar hitting the gears a bit, no issues without the bar for me
    Cool. Yeah, hopefully opening up the diff and looking at the gears will tell me something. Did you use the included shims with your diff? I did not, at the direction of the FLM tech. Also, what fluid are you running with? Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I used and trimmed my Ibar. Super smooth. Iím running 500k oil. Iím surprised to here youíre having an issue. Since I donít know you, Iíd say something was installed not quite right. Please donít take offense. Feel free to correct me if Iím wrong. Did you use new bearings?

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I used and trimmed my Ibar. Super smooth. Iím running 500k oil. Iím surprised to here youíre having an issue. Since I donít know you, Iíd say something was installed not quite right. Please donít take offense. Feel free to correct me if Iím wrong. Did you use new bearings?

Thanks for the input! I was very careful when putting things together. I dry checked it a few times before adding the diff fluid (I used 50k- too light Iíd say), green slime on the o rings, dab of loctite on the screws, slowly brought them all to full tight using a cross pattern.

I used the avid ceramic revolution bearings (metal/rubber seals). For the places where the bearings are exposed to the elements, rubber outward facing. For the bearings that are completely within the housing, I used the ceramic bearings with full metal shields (heard they are a tad more free spinning).

I used the same sequence of Teflon washers as the stock build calls for, and found that the layshaft has a little play (in/out, or left to right if youíre behind the vehicle, looking forward). Unfortunately I didnít catch that till it was all sealed up, so I just ran with it, knowing that Iíd be rebuilding it soon enough, as the hot racing slipper clutch (HD it is not) needed to be upgraded.

Iíve heard a lot of positive feedback for the associated VTS slipper, so I picked up the STRC layshaft that allows for that setup, and found all the parts I needed on eBay.

My guess is that the spider gears bound up on the left side, and when I blipped the throttle everything went back into sync. When I spin the tires by hand now, the diff action is just like new, silky smooth. But Iíll bet I find a tooth in there with a rolled edge. Iíll definitely update the post when I rebuild in the next week or so.

RC Qualifier
    mine is with 100k, i didnt use the shims, i think the angled part of the bar may scrub on the gears a bit, thats what mine did, i had to take it out , i think the bar isnt really needed , good luck

RC Racer
    mine is with 100k, i didnt use the shims, i think the angled part of the bar may scrub on the gears a bit, thats what mine did, i had to take it out , i think the bar isnt really needed , good luck

So I took the gear box apart and found no major damage to any of the spider gears, thankfully. I checked it dry a couple times and it felt better with the shims, so I decided to try them out. I also used 100k like you did, but I put the bar in- mostly out of curiosity.

The tech at FLM called the bar a ďbandaidĒ for the stock plastic gear case, said it wasnít necessary for theirís.

RC Racer
    One thing I noticed originally when I first got this was the sort of almond shaped ďmaleĒ section that mates up to the female section on the other side. It looks off to me, but FLM told me that was correct machine work. Can anybody here confirm that? Just curious...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Gotta say, Iím not tearing the car apart to find out. But I will say my original diff had to go back twice for poor tolerances. The guys tried to do everything they could to make it seem like me. It was not.

RC Racer
    Interesting... Iíve been patiently trying to get a hold of anybody over there to get a o-ring kit, but theyíve been awol all week, not even responding to the line they text from.

You can see some of the tools and equipment Iím using to rebuild this here...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Good looking setup. Sorry about your trouble. If you can get some measurements and text it to him, I bet heíll respond. At least I hope.

RC Racer
    For the layshaft, I had to shim by 0.8mm on either side of the top drive gear, just to get the play out. Now in the RPM hybrid case, itís shimmed per factory specs with 0.5mm on either side, and it has virtually no play (maybe 0.05 of in/out movement, if that).

Iím surprised to have to use so much additional shimming. I figured a CNC machined part would have much closer tolerances, but then, Iím a tree climber, not a machinist.

Hereís a pic where you can see the shims...

RC Racer
    Good looking setup. Sorry about your trouble. If you can get some measurements and text it to him, I bet heíll respond. At least I hope.

Thanks Gripdog! I still think itís a nice case, and I like that itís made by a small shop (Iím only guessing itís small) in the USA. Iíll keep trying to reach them, send the pics and the measurements that I got, see what they say.

Can I get your opinion on the amount of grease Iíve used on the gears? I like the associated black grease, and I feel like I put it on pretty sparingly. Iíve seen a lot of videos online where folks are globbing it on pretty thick. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    try this with the diff., put it back together and then place it in a drill chuck, spin it for a while until it get smooth, i think the gears need breaking in a bit, i always did this with my stock diffs , it makes them a bit smoother , good luck, I love my gearbox , tenshock 3,400 kv motor on the way

RC Qualifier
    why did you need new orings already ?

RC Qualifier
    I also would not shim anything, if you look close you ll see the output gears are very close to the bar ,in the bottom, i bet the output gear is just hitting the bar at times , there are no bearings in the diff case to keep the gears perfectly in place , im sure they move around from left to right and just hit the bar

RC Racer
    Thanks for the advice on diff break-in! I didnít actually need the o-rings this time- theyíre in fine shape, and I cleaned and re-used them. I just wanted to have them for future reference. I can probably get a good enough measurement with my caliper.

The first time that I built this diff, I went with no bar, no shims, and I had that mystery temporary binding issue. In hindsight, itís possible some grit got jammed in the wheel bearing because the internal gears looked pretty normal.

I just wanted to see how differently it performed with the change. So I used the 100k, bar, shims on the output shafts. Weíll see...

Do you recall if the machining on your case resembles what I see on mine?

Thanks!

RC Racer

So he did respond today, said he was tied up the last couple of days, moving or something...

He says it looks like the chamfered tool hit that one spot, causing that slightly odd shape. He says it wonít affect performance though. Iím a little dubious, but ok.

He also said that he designed it to be built with the Teflon stock washers, but for sure, those left a bit of play in the top shaft- about 0.6mm to be exact. It definitely felt sloppy.

So I tried it my way, and weíll see what happens. I also used the STRC top shaft with the VTS slipper. It definitely seems built to hold up better than that Hot Racing one.

RC Qualifier
    Looks good !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
    So he did respond today, said he was tied up the last couple of days, moving or something...

He says it looks like the chamfered tool hit that one spot, causing that slightly odd shape. He says it wonít affect performance though. Iím a little dubious, but ok.

He also said that he designed it to be built with the Teflon stock washers, but for sure, those left a bit of play in the top shaft- about 0.6mm to be exact. It definitely felt sloppy.

So I tried it my way, and weíll see what happens. I also used the STRC top shaft with the VTS slipper. It definitely seems built to hold up better than that Hot Racing one.

I used very little grease. Definitely not globs. I think youíre gonna be good to go

RC Racer
    Looks good !
    Feels great too! I got just about all of the slop out of the top shaft, and that VTS slipper looks beefy! Canít wait to run it this weekend.

I think because the spider gears already some time on them, they were already good and broken in. I can definitely feel a difference (by hand) with the 100k vs 50k. Curious to see how it handles in the dirt.

RC Racer
    All back together! Hopefully for a while this time. I love that this ďtruckĒ can go like a bat out of ****, or with a couple of quick little changes to the ESC, tires and pinion gear, go crawling around the trails with our TRX. This thingís awesome!!

MIP X-Duty driveshafts are unbeatable (I think?), and in definitely in the ďno greaseĒ camp. I just use that tuf-glide, no rust, no binding, no problems.

RC Racer
    Oh wow! I got censored!!! I didnít realize that speaking of the netherworld would trigger gatekeeper. Sorry! Guess I should have said it can go as fast as a bat out of hades???

RC Qualifier
    what motor and esc do you run?

RC Racer

FLM Super Tranny and diff issue

what motor and esc do you run?
    I have the castle mamba x 1/10, and a hobbywing 2250kv motor. The motor is a bit heavier than I would like, but it has great low end power, seems pretty versatile. It stays nice and cool too, much better than the castle 3800 that was in there before.

RC Racer

The VTS slipper works amazingly compared to the hot racing. I set it before taking it out and it never needed re-adjustment. Good call Role! Thanks for the tip.

You can see here how that tuf-glide stuff attracts a little dust, but not much. I drive it on a loose clay ball field, some dirt, etc.

RC Qualifier
    no gear cover ?

RC Qualifier

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Little pool noodle foam trick I use on my sons ruster, it keeps the motor safe on roll overs , and the t bone bumper flexes a little less . my son can do some damage on all my rc’s . he has broken a motor or two and snapped the motor screws with rear end crashes

RC Racer
    Little pool noodle foam trick I use on my sons ruster, it keeps the motor safe on roll overs , and the t bone bumper flexes a little less . my son can do some damage on all my rcís . he has broken a motor or two and snapped the motor screws with rear end crashes
    Ha! I can relate to your new driver issues. My oldest is only four, pretty good most of the time, but heís definitely helped me find the weak links in this truck.

I like the foam tube! I was thinking the t-bone flexed a little more than I like. Iíll try your mod there at some point.

Iíve had mixed results running a gear cover. When I did use one, it seemed to hold debris around the gears, even with the bottom cut out (RPM cover comes that way I believe). So Iíve been running no cover all summer and itís been fine really. I think I started mainly because I was constantly adjusting the hot racing slipper I had previously. That thing was not suited to high power systems, in my opinion.

RC Qualifier
    I just cover mine with painters tape , keeps out 90% of dirt

RC Racer
    I just cover mine with painters tape , keeps out 90% of dirt

I didnít realize the RPM cover would mount up to the FLM case! Very clever use of masking tape

RC Racer
    Finally got to the bottom of the binding issue!!! The little pin on the CVD was contacting the inside of the a-arms. I noticed it was all burred up when I was moving the shocks around to put this thing in trail/crawler mode.

Dremel to the rescue. All good. Kind of feel dumb now for tearing the whole transmission apart, only to find this. Also, 100k with the bar installed definitely behaves differently on the track. Not great. But itíll probably be a good thing in the trails.

RC Qualifier
    Dude that stinks, put some stock arms back on there , if you crash your going the bend that new transmission, you need some give somewhere , the rpm ones bend too much for me in the back

RC Racer
    Dude that stinks, put some stock arms back on there , if you crash your going the bend that new transmission, you need some give somewhere , the rpm ones bend too much for me in the back
    Yeah, I was thinking about that... thatís why I kept the RPM arms in the front. The main reason I went with so much aluminum in the back was to keep all that power going in the right direction.

My theory (probably wrong) is that if used flexible arms in the rear, all that power would cause flex, and that would eventually lead to smoked bearings, broken gears, etc. And so far, the back arms donít tend to take as much of the brunt of the damage when crashes happen. I donít know... You got me thinking now. I do have a set of RPM rear arms.

Do you use the VXL rear arms?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nah. You jut bend the mounting stock plate, in my case break it. They sell them individually.

RC Racer
    Nah. You jut bend the mounting stock plate, in my case break it. They sell them individually.

I can definitely see those MIP X-duty shafts ripping the output shafts through the case or something. Granted, our Rustler isnít going 100mph(!!) like yours