An apology and genuinely looking help!!?

Firstly I would like to apologise for creating several threads and then not participating in them. I'm the sort of person who gets involved in a hobby and then it becomes an obsession.!!! For example I have purchased the new 8s xmaxx online and it is due to arrive tomorrow. I'm now starting to worry whether as usual I was completely impulsive in buying the xmaxx, thankfully I do have the opportunity to return it for a refund.

I hope you will all give me a second chance, and allow me to start again in asking for help.

I would really value your input and help. Here goes!!

I'm 42 and was born with a very rare neurological condition. Up until 5 years ago I lived a pretty normal life both physically and mentally. Unfortunately the Las few years have been difficult as my health has deterioted and I now use a powered wheelchair. I recently purchased a really good offroad mobility scooter which allows me to get out and about everyday with my dog. I recently took a big interest in rc cars and felt it would be a great addition to my daily life, giving me an interest and enjoying the buzz of driving something fast and learning everything about the hobby.

After watching and reading hours upon hours of material I finally decided to purchase the xmaxx as I think it looks incredible and something I could enjoy on a daily basis. I would like to outline in all honesty my budget, environment and what I really want out of this hobby.

Budget 1200
    Would like a model which has speed along control
    Don't want something which wheelies all the time

Would like to do a few jumps but more interested in blasting around on grass, gravel and sand.

I live 10 mins walk from a friends field which consists of about 15-20 acres

Finally have great friends and family who would help with repairs so not a big issue.

Can't work body clips this is mainly the reason I like the traxxas.

As I said the xmaxx arrives tomorrow so I would really appreciate some help in deciding if it's the right model for me???

I look forward to hearing what you would do in my position??
    ONE LIFE LIVE IT!!

First of all, welcome back and nice apology.

I am sorry about your condition, but I agree that RC cars seem like a GREAT hobby for you.

Congrats on the X-Maxx... now keep in mind you don't have to run it 8s...it's a VERY powerful truck that will absolutely do wheelies like MAD... so I suggest starting either on 4s or 6s and/or running in training mode (consult your manual) which will let you run it with 1/2 power.

Once you're comfortable, you can put it in sport mode (default, full forward and reverse power) and run it faster.

It's a pretty stable and durable truck out of the box, so I'd say don't bother with any upgrades with the exception of body savers... because you WILL pull the screws through the body the firs time it flips hard.

With careful operation, you can tear up the grass, dirt and gravel and probably not have to make many, if any repairs for some time.

Also, this place is a real treasure trove of information, so come back often, reply to your own threads, ask questions and learn as much as you can!

Good luck!
    If it's not breaking, you're not doing it right.

That helps a bunch...how off road is your scooter?
    How much hand control do you have?

You pretty much went straight for the BIG DOG with the X-Maxx...even on 6s it can get away from you really quickly.
    I personally find it challenging to keep it upright. I have some limitations as well so constantly having to chase it down to right it is a pain sometimes....I'm a relative newbie myself so the skills are still progressing.

FWIW, I would NOT recommend the self-righting feature unless you like stripping gears.

It seems you ordered it online...any reason not going with a LHS?

If the X-Maxx doesn't work out I highly suggest the Rustler 4x4 VXL...not as impressive as the X-Maxx but I can honestly say it's been my funnest car/truck. It stays upright most of the time, doesn't break, is just the right size and is pretty wallet friendly for repairs/upgrades. Plus, it only needs one battery to run.

Out of all my cars (I have most of them.) I run the Rustler the most.

Quote Originally Posted by atoms View Post
    It's a pretty stable and durable truck out of the box, so I'd say don't bother with any upgrades with the exception of body savers... because you WILL pull the screws through the body the firs time it flips hard. !
    Hmmm...that's one issue I haven't had yet...the body has stayed intact pretty well so far.

Good advice with 50% mode, I forgot about that!

On 8s (Haven't Tried yet) it seems to do backflips with stop to throttle...at least that's what Kevin Talbots videos show!
    That guy REALLY bashes his X-Maxx...then again, he's his own parts store!

Speaking of parts...I still haven't replaced my stripped servo yet.

Guy's the more I look through the forums, the more I'm thinking the xmaxx maybe a bit much for me. I really want to go for a traxxas with the latching system. Which models other than the xmaxx have it? I love the look of the e revo & new rustler, would they meet my needs? Also are they wheelie machines as I love the thrill of blasting it along the field with a bit of drifting....

I appreciate you all replying so promptly as the xmaxx arrives tomorrow and I'm strongly considering returning it!!
    ONE LIFE LIVE IT!!

RC Qualifier
    Don't keep guessing, you'll drive yourself crazy. All three will meet your needs. They can all be wheelie machines. Learn your driving skills! If in doubt turn on training mode and turn up the TSM to learn your skills at half the power. Learning how fast and sharp to take a corner without flipping, when to punch the throttle to power slide is more about Driving skill than a vehicle itself.

Revo 2.0 or rustler vxl -- would this rigs be worth considering?
    ONE LIFE LIVE IT!!

RC Qualifier
    Either one: both smaller and lighter to move around. E-revo holds 2 batteries, Rustler holds one.
    I own the revo not the rustler, so its hard for me to honestly compare the two. If you have access to YOUTUBE take some time and watch different videos of each. That way you can see what they can do in different situations and driving styles.

Thank you pal I'm leaning towards one of these. What power do you run on?

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Either one: both smaller and lighter to move around. E-revo holds 2 batteries, Rustler holds one.
    I own the revo not the rustler, so its hard for me to honestly compare the two. If you have access to YOUTUBE take some time and watch different videos of each. That way you can see what they can do in different situations and driving styles.
    ONE LIFE LIVE IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Not Guilty View Post
    Revo 2.0 or rustler vxl -- would this rigs be worth considering?
    Stick with the X-Maxx... trust me. If you don't, you'll be buying another one soon... just run it 4s, 1/2 power and go carefully... those smaller trucks will flip and crash just the same. As you get better at driving it, you'll flip and crash less and less often. These things aren't wild animals. If you have self control, you'll be fine.

And when you roll up to the park to run it, people's heads will turn.

I suppose you are right. However because of my stupid impulse I ordered the 8s pack! Also thinking more about the logistics of getting it to different places to run it could present great difficulty. I just want an electric rig that doesn't use body clips. And something I can thrash the full length of the field learning to drift a little on gravel with little interest in hard-core bashing. Surely there has to be a rig out there that can allow me to do all these things and tick the boxes.?
    ONE LIFE LIVE IT!!

RC Qualifier
    Thank you pal I'm leaning towards one of these. What power do you run on?
    6s stock gearing @ full power

AS I've said before the Rustler is IMHO the best all around car! It doesn't do wheelies on 2s and doesn't overturn too much.
    The E-Revo WILL do wheelies even once rolling and not just from a stop...it will also flip very easily when cornering.

I've got all three...out of all three, if I HAD to chose one for the rest of my life it would be the Rustler.
    Last edited by USMC1984; 08-28-2019 at 09:20 PM.

RC Qualifier
    We picked up the 8s Xmaxx for our then 6 now 7 yr old grandson at Christmas and the first 10 runs on 4s were a walk in the park and after that all the rest on 6s. Now 8 months later this truck is a beast and we have never (nock on wood) replaced a single part on this stock truck. Yes we shredded a couple of tires (from water inside) which I repaired and they are still running perfectly. There is no rule book on throttle control, set the esc to 50% power on 8s and have fun, when your comfortable turn it up and control it as your comfort level increases. I would sugest purchasing some 3s batteries and to stay with the Xmaxx it's just an all around beast of a truck that you could still upgrade in the future for even more power lol. Besides like everyone of us on these forums we all own multiple rc's that suit different needs and sooner then later you too will end up with mulyiple rc's for all your different applications.
    You made a wise choice on the Xmaxx and after you drive it you won't regret it, have fun and let us know how it went.

P.S. you have nothing to apologise for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    We picked up the 8s Xmaxx for our then 6 now 7 yr old grandson at Christmas and the first 10 runs on 4s were a walk in the park and after that all the rest on 6s. Now 8 months later this truck is a beast and we have never (nock on wood) replaced a single part on this stock truck. Yes we shredded a couple of tires (from water inside) which I repaired and they are still running perfectly. There is no rule book on throttle control, set the esc to 50% power on 8s and have fun, when your comfortable turn it up and control it as your comfort level increases. I would sugest purchasing some 3s batteries and to stay with the Xmaxx it's just an all around beast of a truck that you could still upgrade in the future for even more power lol. Besides like everyone of us on these forums we all own multiple rc's that suit different needs and sooner then later you too will end up with mulyiple rc's for all your different applications.
    You made a wise choice on the Xmaxx and after you drive it you won't regret it, have fun and let us know how it went.

P.S. you have nothing to apologise for.
    Thank you I just woke up to this post and it's helped make my mind up I'm going to keep it and give it a go!
    ONE LIFE LIVE IT!!

RC Qualifier
    I purchased a XMAXX - upgraded it somewhat, then ended up selling it due to the size and the hassle of getting it to the local park where I run.

I regret it a few months later and re-purchased another XMAXX!

I am also leaning towards an E-Revo 2.0, but will probably still keep the XMAXX. My brother takes his JLB and E-Revo 2.0 with me to the park - he always ends up coming home with something broken. I [touch wood] have yet to break anything, and even though Im not a heavy basher, I still jump more then he does!
    https://www.youtube.com/iftibashir

Thank you I just woke up to this post and it's helped make my mind up I'm going to keep it and give it a go!
    Good choice, just remember to use training mode for a while... you're gonna LOVE it man... it's NUTS.

RC Qualifier
    Happy days ahead, I'm pretty sure your mind was made up when you hit the confirm order button lol you just needed some reassurance from other Xmaxx owners. Looking forward to your first reveiw tonight.

Probably will be a few days. I've taken most people's advice and ordered 3s. Don't want to rush it and wreck all round me! Lol
    ONE LIFE LIVE IT!!

RC Qualifier
    The one thing I would defiantly look into are some body savers. The attachment screws for the body to quick latch system pull the screw heads through the body after even a minor roll over. I believe its a design flaw(Too small of a screw head). I bought my body saver set on Ebay and I see Traxxas has finally came out with their own Part# 7710. to address it. Don't worry it's nothing to get worked up about, just a quick heads up at something to look into. Any route you choose to address it, its a cheap fix.

Probably will be a few days. I've taken most people's advice and ordered 3s. Don't want to rush it and wreck all round me! Lol
    Do you not have a LHS nearby?

Have you unboxed it yet?

RC Enthusiast
    The training mode in the phone app when used with the blue-tooth module can limit the speed from 0% to 100%, at least the one time I tried it out. I'd say go straight for 8s and you can still set it to go only 5mph if you want to learn. Then it saves you from buying 6s now and later having to get 8s.

Comparing to the other trucks, the x-maxx has got to be the most durable of them all, which honestly makes it good for a first vehicle.

I do mate but it's not very well stocked. Haven't unboxed yet as has been hectic today getting kids ready for going back to school tomorrow
    ONE LIFE LIVE IT!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 100cotton View Post
    The training mode in the phone app when used with the blue-tooth module can limit the speed from 0% to 100%, at least the one time I tried it out. I'd say go straight for 8s and you can still set it to go only 5mph if you want to learn. Then it saves you from buying 6s now and later having to get 8s.

Comparing to the other trucks, the x-maxx has got to be the most durable of them all, which honestly makes it good for a first vehicle.
    I agree. I never understand why anyone would want to buy smaller batteries just to upgrade later. With this newer technology(Traing modes/Traxxas link app) You can take the Higher voltage batteries(more power ones) and make the vehicle behave as if it has training wheels. My logic is I don't have money to waste and to buy twice is wasteful.

Ps You would also need to make sure current chargers would work for the new batteries when you "upgrade". If not add in cost of charger.

I've ordered 2 3s & 2 4s plus a charger which will do all sizes. I'm happy enough with this setup for now, also I'll have a bit more runtime out on the field. I've also ordered the traxxas link / telemetry which will be great for monitoring things and changing on the fly. I'm in no rush as I want to learn everything I can and learn from the start how to drive this beast.. It's the most money I've ever spent on a rc car so want to get as much value as possible out of it. Are there any other tips or tricks I should be aware of before my first run.?
    ONE LIFE LIVE IT!!

Are there any other tips or tricks I should be aware of before my first run.?
    Don't have anything behind it that you don't want to shoot debri at or anything in front of it you don't want to run over!

I agree. I never understand why anyone would want to buy smaller batteries just to upgrade later. With this newer technology(Traing modes/Traxxas link app) You can take the Higher voltage batteries(more power ones) and make the vehicle behave as if it has training wheels. My logic is I don't have money to waste and to buy twice is wasteful.

Ps You would also need to make sure current chargers would work for the new batteries when you "upgrade". If not add in cost of charger.
    I buy batteries based on runtime and how many other cars they are compatible with. 13 in all so far.

I do mate but it's not very well stocked.
    That's too bad! Maybe if they had more business from locals they would?
    Last edited by USMC1984; 08-29-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Probably right but the guy that owns it is a prick which doesn't help!
    ONE LIFE LIVE IT!!

Probably right but the guy that owns it is a prick which doesn't help!
    That makes more sense then...

RC Qualifier
    USMC I see where your coming from by having multiply vehicles. But for someone new that is unsure on where they are headed in the hobby, I'd hate to recommend a set of batteries just for learning on and might not have use for them later.

RC Qualifier
    Are there any other tips or tricks I should be aware of before my first run.?
    Don't forget to unhook it from your scooter. You could be in for a wild ride

USMC I see where your coming from by having multiply vehicles. But for someone new that is unsure on where they are headed in the hobby, I'd hate to recommend a set of batteries just for learning on and might not have use for them later.
    Why would there be no need for them later? As long as they are in good condition they are usefull...you don't ALWAYS need to go as fast as you can.

Besides, I think starting at the top makes you miss having something to look forward to. After all, isn't that the thrill some get from modding?
    I have some of the best Traxxas has to offer but I still have fun with the 1/16 brushed E-Revo.
    Heck I run the 1/16th and the Rustler more than any of the others.

RC Qualifier

This in no way is a confrontation but an explanation for not buying bigger batteries for us..
    The reason behind us not going 8s is because it would be the only rc we own that takes 4s batteries which to us seems like a waste. We have 8=2s batteries and 6= 3s batteries, the BL Emaxx takes 6s but we run on 4s only (gps max speed 37mph) the Brushed Emaxx EVX2 is a max 4s, the Stampede is a max 3s but we only run 2s, our M41 we alternate between 4s & 6s, so the Xmaxx on 6s seems the most resonable choice for us and given most of the time these are being operated by a 7yr old who makes less carnage then me behind the wheel lol. To us less speed and power is less damage and less parts replacement which means more rc time lol. One day on here I will learn how to install a Happy Face.

RC Qualifier
    Its kind of upsetting when opinions are spoken by the views of someone looking in from their standpoint rather than through an OP's view. Each person has there own way of being able to enjoy this fun hobby.
    Here is an example to hopefully help anyone to see my logic. I haven't been in the RC game for 20 to 30 years. I am new to this Lipo and Electronic speed control technology. I decide to buy an 8s X-maxx, I purchase the 4S completer pack to be able to use the truck at its full stock potential. I learn how to turn down the power for "training" which would be the same as smaller performance batteries. After "training" I enjoy it so much on 8S that I would be disappointed at running anything less. I could buy another set of 4S batteries that would get more use than if I purchased 3S batteries. This was a huge purchase for me financially, so I couldn't purchase another vehicle for some time. So this would be a one vehicle hobby for me.
    I knew what it was like before I became disabled, having a never ending wishlist where I would work a little overtime to have "wishlist funds". Now living on fixed income my wishlist became enjoying what I have and not what I could have. I wish more people would look at a situation at different angles other than the normal looking in and passing judgement.

Its kind of upsetting when opinions are spoken by the views of someone looking in from their standpoint rather than through an OP's view. Each person has there own way of being able to enjoy this fun hobby.
    Here is an example to hopefully help anyone to see my logic. I haven't been in the RC game for 20 to 30 years. I am new to this Lipo and Electronic speed control technology. I decide to buy an 8s X-maxx, I purchase the 4S completer pack to be able to use the truck at its full stock potential. I learn how to turn down the power for "training" which would be the same as smaller performance batteries. After "training" I enjoy it so much on 8S that I would be disappointed at running anything less. I could buy another set of 4S batteries that would get more use than if I purchased 3S batteries. This was a huge purchase for me financially, so I couldn't purchase another vehicle for some time. So this would be a one vehicle hobby for me.
    I knew what it was like before I became disabled, having a never ending wishlist where I would work a little overtime to have "wishlist funds". Now living on fixed income my wishlist became enjoying what I have and not what I could have. I wish more people would look at a situation at different angles other than the normal looking in and passing judgement.
    At the same time, some of us WERE putting ourselves in the OPs position and imagined trying to lift that 20# beast into a wagon while seated in a scooter... or having to chase it down because it keeps flipping over.

RC Qualifier
    I don't get the relationship between helping someone enjoy on a vehicle they just purchased and a discussion about what batteries to buy. We discussed different vehicles in a different thread. In this thread the OP purchased a X-maxx, I thought the purpose of this thread was to help make them feel happy and give some tips to enjoy what they wanted/purchased and not personal opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    At the same time, some of us WERE putting ourselves in the OPs position and imagined trying to lift that 20# beast into a wagon while seated in a scooter... or having to chase it down because it keeps flipping over.
    The OP was aware about the weight before he purchased (had started different threads) and the X-maxx,Erevo VXL,Rustler 4x4 VXL,Stampede 4X4 VXL all have self-righting which would mitigate the "chase it down because it keeps flipping over".
    I gave my opinion on my reason for not having multiply batteries to the OP. I shouldn't have to defend myself "why my opinion is wrong" to other posters with a different view.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 08-30-2019 at 02:17 PM.

Advice is nothing more than personal opinions...

RC Qualifier
    Again this isn't a confrontation it's an explanation to your post in #24 where you stated ( I never understand why anyone would want to buy smaller batteries just to upgrade later.) (You said you don't understand so I was explaining our reason why) We have no plans on upgrading to 8s later but to the OP if he plans on buying other rc's later now he needs to buy smaller batteries, hence the reasoning to go 6s because he can run some rc's 3s and 6s. I have no clue as to how many rc's just use 4s compared to the availability of 3s and 6s.
    My post was to open the OP's eyes to future rc purchases not just to the present.

RC Qualifier
    I've ordered 2 3s & 2 4s plus a charger which will do all sizes. I'm happy enough with this setup for now, also I'll have a bit more runtime out on the field. I've also ordered the traxxas link / telemetry which will be great for monitoring things and changing on the fly. I'm in no rush as I want to learn everything I can and learn from the start how to drive this beast.. It's the most money I've ever spent on a rc car so want to get as much value as possible out of it. Are there any other tips or tricks I should be aware of before my first run.?
    Reinforce the body/have someone do it for you, put the body savers on it, and get the RPM front and rear bumper supports. You can find all of that info in my threads/videos on here. Those mods alone will save you a ton of headaches.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours