Thread: Water damage

RC Enthusiast

Water damage

My XMaxx drove into a lake. When it went into the water it flipped so the truck was upside down and the tires made it float. The truck was in the water for at most 10 to 15 seconds. When i pulled it out i could hear the fans running but I immediately disconnected the batteries. Got it home and used my leaf blower to get what water I could out. And now it’s in my garage upside down drying out. I’ll be out of town next week so I can let it dry how ever long it needs to. Does the XMaxx hold up good with water? Any advice on anything else to try. Please don’t ask me how it happened. I’m out how it went down. Do you think I’ll be ok?
    Last edited by Double G; 08-30-2019 at 08:37 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Wd 40 everything that could rust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Ran mine on the beach barely got wet and still ruined fans on motor and fan in esc

RC Qualifier
    Ya just soak the metal bits in wd-40

RC Qualifier
    Also make sure you dry everything with an air compressor and make sure that your tire arenít full of water or you might have balancing problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FLexus Lexus View Post
    My XMaxx drove into a lake. When it went into the water it flipped so the truck was upside down and the tires made it float. The truck was in the water for at most 10 to 15 seconds. When i pulled it out i could hear the fans running but I immediately disconnected the batteries. Got it home and used my leaf blower to get what water I could out. And now it’s in my garage upside down drying out. I’ll be out of town next week so I can let it dry how ever long it needs to. Does the XMaxx hold up good with water? Any advice on anything else to try. Please don’t ask me how it happened. I’m out how it went down. Do you think I’ll be ok?

So what was the out come????
    Last edited by Double G; 08-30-2019 at 08:37 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I still havnt powered it on. I know it’s over kill but I’ll be out of town next week so I’ll power it up once I get back. Last night I started changing the bearings and the looked in good shape. I can’t tell they got wet.

For what it's worth, although I haven't submerged the Xmaxx, I do hose it off without a worry in the world. The only thing that isn't waterproof is the reciever. If any water managed to seep in there it could kill it, but I would bet you are fine. I have driven other vehicles under water, although not advised, with zero harmful effects that I'm aware. I'm sure someone will dispute that, but a real world result trumps theory in my opinion, I think you'll be just fine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    The receiver was completely dry. I took the ESC out and was also dry. I’ve found a few drops of water but nothing to be concerned about. I think your right it should be fine.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FLexus Lexus View Post
    The receiver was completely dry. I took the ESC out and was also dry. I’ve found a few drops of water but nothing to be concerned about. I think your right it should be fine.
    Still would love to know how you fared once you power her up....

RC Enthusiast
    Everything power up good. I got lucky! The truck was in water a very short amount of time. Nothing shows signs of being in water. I took out the esc and no water came out and no water was under it. Cleaned the bearing and no signs of rusting or any water. I gave the truck plenty of time to air out and dry.

RC Qualifier
    That’s is lucky for sure!!!! The RC gods smiled on you...

I am confused as to why everybody is so shocked/concerned when your truck gets wet, or suprised something isn't ruined when it does. I run all my trucks in any conditions, no matter how muddy. How do you guys clean your trucks? I spray mine off with the garden hose and scrub brush where necessary, sometimes it takes up to a half hour. The only time I ever had an issue was when I modified a reciever box and forgot to seal the new screw holes.

RC Competitor
    It could be time consuming and costly to run your trucks in wet condition. And many of us is just a regular guy that don't have the time and money to do that. In my case, I don't have the time...coz i usually take 4 or 5 RCs with me nowadays.. And seized bearings is my number 1 concern.

The video I linked showed X-Maxxs dead in the water...Kevin Talbot and Roman Atwood regularly sink their X-Maxxs and haven't seemed to kill them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Townie View Post
    It could be time consuming and costly to run your trucks in wet condition. And many of us is just a regular guy that don't have the time and money to do that. In my case, I don't have the time...coz i usually take 4 or 5 RCs with me nowadays.. And seized bearings is my number 1 concern.
    That makes sense. I guess it's different for everybody. I luckily don't have to go anywhere, I have a nice little area in my backyard to play. I understand the thing about the time. I have a 10 month old and a 5 year old, so my play time is after bed 7:30ish to sundown. I don't worry about bearings. I just replace them as needed, or do them towards the end of the season when it's time for a full teardown. I do get it though.