RC poster

How do you guys store your lipos(am I the only one who worries)

How do you guys store your lipos? Am I the only one who worries about them exploding when not being home? I only have carpet and wood floors, so no garage or tile floors to place on. Anyone ever had problems with fires just storing? Iíve seen lots of articles on fires while charging.

Get a lipo bag...If you are worried you could always place them in a glass baking tray away from other combustibles.

RC poster
    I did pick up a lipo bag.glass baking tray sounds like a good idea. I was thinking about picking up a cheap fireproof safe

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Daytona392 View Post
    How do you guys store your lipos? Am I the only one who worries about them exploding when not being home? I only have carpet and wood floors, so no garage or tile floors to place on. Anyone ever had problems with fires just storing? Iíve seen lots of articles on fires while charging.
    Bat-Safe is awesome for charging and storage..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have an ammo can.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    I have an ammo can.
    Me too...make sure to remove the rubber seal at the top before closing the ammo box or you are making a bomb if they catch fire...

I made aluminum shelves to store them, and...

I use steel cash boxes to charge them.

The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

I leave mine in a lipo bag... on a metal stool in the middle of a room in the basement so if they go off, they can start anything on fire.

I charge them in the house, but I stay by the charger the whole time. I use Traxxas batteries and the Dual Live charger and no battery has even gotten warm. I guess if one blew up, it might burn the table, but I'd be right there to handle it. *shrug*

Man, I like that aluminum shelf idea!
    If it's not breaking, you're not doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullspectrum View Post
    Me too...make sure to remove the rubber seal at the top before closing the ammo box or you are making a bomb if they catch fire...
    To add to that:
    https://www.propwashed.com/lipo-batt...ainer-testing/

Conclusions

Our testing only covered a limited selection of containers and test circumstances. With that said, the results were pretty clear to us:

--Don’t use a cheap LiPo Safe bag for typical racing batteries. Our test bags offered almost no protection at all.
    --An ammunition box can be a viable containment option, but there are some important caveats. You need to make sure it is not sealed, place it on a non-combustible surface, keep it isolated on all sides away from any sensitive materials, and use it in a well-ventilated area where nearby items won’t be damaged by smoke. If you can do this, it can be safe and cost-effective.
    --Of the three containers we tested, the BAT-SAFE is obviously the safest. The BAT-SAFE did a fantastic job containing the flame and heat and is the only option that even tries to filter soot. In addition, its design encourages you to use it correctly and helps prevent unsafe charging by accident or forgetfulness. It is the most expensive option, but at $60 it should hardly break the bank. If you have no option but to charge inside your home, this is the only option we would consider.

What you should use to contain your batteries depends heavily on how large they are and where you store them, but one thing is absolutely certain: do something! These batteries do pose a risk that every user should be aware of. Take the necessary steps to protect yourself.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    That was excellent reading and video's. I have been using the first set of lipo bags inside a .50 cal Ammo can but now I think I'll be looking for the bat safe container, thanks.

Good video and read. I had a Lipo go bad on me once a long time ago, but mine put out black smoke rather than grey. I'm like atom, and charge mine while I'm in the basement working out. When mine started to smoke, I was there to hit my exhaust fan. It sucked everything outside while I stood there with a ABC rated fire extinguisher. You know what they say, "Hope for the best, but plan for the worse." You got to do it when you're playing around with stuff that can hurt you, that's for sure.

RC Qualifier
    Wouldn't venting the ammo can let air in to feed the fire?

I use the can to store my lipo and leave the seal on. Others use the can to charge so they drill a hole in the side and remove the seal so that it can vent. If you keep the seal on the fire will only consume the oxygen inside the can and then go out (fire needs: oxygen, fuel, heat and chemical reaction to burn, take one away and you don't have fire) - think of putting a glass over a lit candle. The candle will go out unless you lift the glass and reintroduce oxygen. But that is a simple example and you don't have the additional factors of stored electrical/chemical energy in a lipo. If the can is fully sealed the air pressure inside will rise (air expands when heated) until it cools. However, if there is an oxidizer then it will continue to burn. (Rockets, for example have to bring their own to burn fuel in space.) I'm not a chemist so I don't know if there is one in a lipo battery. If the can is opened after a fire you will introduce oxygen and potentially have a backdraft or at least a rekindle. With the can, vent it so the heat can escape and burn the fuel and let it sit away from combustible materials until it cools.

To the OP: lipo fires can happen but most of what you see is due to stupidity of someone intentionally damaging the lipo. Damage arises from over-charging, over-discharging, misuse or a vehicle accident where the battery sustains a traumatic injury. I was nervous at first but now I keep my mind on safety and don't try to become complacent.
    Last edited by Double G; 08-30-2019 at 01:11 PM.
    The Super Derecho

In your "Conclusions" of what the video said, and you did quote the video correctly (I heard it myself), was to take the rubber seal off of a Ammo Box to keep it from becoming a bomb. This makes sense to me with using Ammo Boxes (or Money Boxes as I use) with Lipo's, because Lipo's put out a lot of energy fast.

If a defective Lipo expands the pressure inside a seal container before the oxygen runs out, that would cause the container to explode (or at the very least to burst open). (IMO) just thinking out loud mind you; I would think you would either want a very thick walled container (way thicker than a Ammo Box or Money Box), or a container big enough to contain all the pressure of the expanding Lipo gasses until the oxygen in the sealed container runs out.

If not, from what I heard and read from the video, a person would want to vent an Ammo Box or Money Box (that's what I do). Yes, this will let out a bunch of smoke if a Lipo goes bad, but at lease it won't explode. Another option? According to the video, it was to get the 60 dollar sealed box that not only could hold back the pressure buildup of a malfunctioning Lipo, but could also absorbed the smoke.

I would think this would also be a good way to go for storing Lipo Batteries (unless you have some way of venting out your charging area, or the smoke is not a problem in your Lipo battery charging area). Something else for us to consider in our discussion (I'm thinking out load again), that even with Lipo batteries in storage, we could (from a safety stand point) run into a problem with the worse case scenario of a Lipo battery, so that may also need to be reconsidered too. Anyway, just some friendly food for thought. Like I said "Just thinking out loud."
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 08-30-2019 at 02:35 PM.

I got to thinking the other day about how a person could make a sealed ammo box safer. I'd consider drilling a 3/4" hole in the top corner of the box, and then installing a rubber plug. If a stored or charging battery ever did fail (to the point of to much pressure) the rubber plug would pop.

If a person was in the area (like what most people are) when they were charging their batteries, there would be a good chance that they could hear the failing battery making noise in their sealed ammo box. This rubber plugged hole would give them time to get their ammo box outside before the rubber plug popped and the smoke started to come out. Just a thought.

You could put a kazoo in the hole as an alarm!

RC Racer
    I don’t really put a lot of effort into what I do with them. Yes I know they can be dangerous but if they’re not damaged and at storage voltage, the chances of them just spontaneously combusting are minuscule. I just throw mine in one of those cheapo bags (actually the same exact one as the video) and throw em in my toolbox. If they decide to explode one day I’ll chalk it up to bad luck and call my insurance. But I don’t worry too much about it. I only have 5 lipo batteries and they don’t get run a lot.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    You could put a kazoo in the hole as an alarm!
    Or a duck call, lol!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by justin13703 View Post
    I don’t really put a lot of effort into what I do with them. Yes I know they can be dangerous but if they’re not damaged and at storage voltage, the chances of them just spontaneously combusting are minuscule. I just throw mine in one of those cheapo bags (actually the same exact one as the video) and throw em in my toolbox. If they decide to explode one day I’ll chalk it up to bad luck and call my insurance. But I don’t worry too much about it. I only have 5 lipo batteries and they don’t get run a lot.
    The big thing isn't keeping/not keeping them in a bag. The big thing is keeping them in something that doesn't burn, or burst open from pressure. You're doing that with your metal tool box. The worst thing that can happen to you would be a lot of smoke. If you're like me, and keep your batteries in the basement (or garage or outside shed) then that's not a big deal. (IMO) you're good to go with keeping your batteries in a metal toolbox.

RC Qualifier
    Lipo bags and rectangle pizza stones from Bed Bath & Beyond (use the coupon of course). Cheap and easy to store and transport batteries anywhere.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC Racer
    I leave mine sitting in bag with my cars. Have for years with no issues. Hot cold. Doesnt matter.

I have seen one lipo light a losi buggy on fire though and just ruin it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stl View Post
    I leave mine sitting in bag with my cars. Have for years with no issues. Hot cold. Doesnt matter.

I have seen one lipo light a losi buggy on fire though and just ruin it

Good way to burn your house down. Just because it hasnít, doesnít mean it canít.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Good way to burn your house down. Just because it hasnít, doesnít mean it canít.

Somehow builds are never done....
    Ive never heard of one doing it or seen it happen just sayin. Just because an airplane could fall our of the sky and land on my house doesnt mean im afraid to sit on my couch

Quote Originally Posted by Stl View Post
    Ive never heard of one doing it or seen it happen just sayin. Just because an airplane could fall our of the sky and land on my house doesnt mean im afraid to sit on my couch

That's something out of your control. Proper storage of hazardous items you own are.

You've seen the Losi burn up and what do you think the owner said? I've been to plenty of disasters - both small and large - many times with the owners saying "I should have done..." or "I shouldn't have done..." But if you want to be reckless then go ahead but don't take anyone else or their property out as well.

I'll get off your back now.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    That's something out of your control. Proper storage of hazardous items you own are.

You've seen the Losi burn up and what do you think the owner said? I've been to plenty of disasters - both small and large - many times with the owners saying "I should have done..." or "I shouldn't have done..." But if you want to be reckless then go ahead but don't take anyone else or their property out as well.

I'll get off your back now.
    He was mad but it was out of his control. Well i guess if he didnt crash it wouldnt have been a problem

I use these Hobbymate Lipo Bags. I like them because they use a dual zipper and Velcro to seal the bag. They have tested well when a failure happens. I then store my Lipos in this bag inside an Ammo boxe that have holes drilled in the lid and the seals removed. I have 5 or 6 ammo boxes that I disperse my packs in so there is not too many Lipos in one box. I also have extra long battery cables so I can charge or discharge the packs with a bit of distance. There are a few other things I do to make for a safe storage but to be short, this is how I store my Lipos. I always look for better ideas too.

Xmaxx, Rally, Slash 4X4, Summit 1/16

To me it sounds and looks like you got a good grip on safety.

Thanks, I just look at it at any given time it can go poof. I take extra steps in caring for my packs. I always maintain a storage charge when not in use. I don’t let them sit more then a few days fully charged. I bought a few automatic dischargers which make storage a breeze, ISDT. BTW these are great Christmas Gifts… I always balance charge at 1c. I always check my packs for damage or how well they balance. Poor balancing is a sign of trouble. I avoid running my pack to low voltage cutoff. I dispose of packs that show problems like frequent poor balancing, puffing or high IR readings. I check the internal resistance of my lipos to make sure they are not unequal or have crazy results. I have a camera in my garage with a smoke detector close by. So yea,, I hope I have it covered.
    Xmaxx, Rally, Slash 4X4, Summit 1/16

That's pretty much what I do too. It's also good to deep cycle them every now and again. Most spec sheets want you to do it every month. I generally do that, or at least every other month. I generally don't toss mine out unless my spec's change by 20%. Twenty present seems to be the magic number for Lipo's. What really helps me out is being able to do 8 batteries at a time. Being able to do this really makes proper battery maintenance easy for me to do.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 10-17-2019 at 03:42 AM.

I store mine in this:

(lol) That's pretty funny.