Thread: Clipless body?

Clipless body?

Good evening,

Out of interest which traxxas models have the clipless body system? Apart from the xmaxx & rustler?

Thanks Anto
    ONE LIFE LIVE IT!!

The E-Revo VXL 2.0

Have you run the X-Maxx yet?
    Even on 2s the E-Revo will wheelie and overturn at full throttle from a stop. At half throttle, a full throttle will still wheelie it and possibly flip backward. I put a wheelie bar on mine ($20)...it helps but does not eliminate the wheelie/flipping. Even at 2/3 throttle a turn will send it tumbling on grass or pavement...loose dirt is more forgiving though.
    Last edited by USMC1984; 08-30-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Personally, I thought I'd like the clipless design, which is partially why I decided on the Rustler 4x4, over the Slash 4x4. However, it too me less than a couple months to realize the design flaws. As great as the 4WD Rusty is, and as much fun as I have with it, I'm now in the process of getting rid of this poorly-designed body mount system.

To save people the time in having to ask how I'm doing this, and me having to reply back with the answer, I'll just provide it, as it's fairly simple. First, replace the Rusty's shock towers & body mounts with those for the Slash 4x4. Next, get yourself a body designed for the Jato (in my case, that would be the JConcepts Crowd Pleazer 2.0). While I'm talking mine up a few more notches (15mm hub extensions, 2.2" stadium truck wheels, etc), the steps described above are all that's required to switch from the clipless body mount system. That being said, I would HIGHLY recommend replacing the stock Ultra shocks with the Traxxas GTR shocks, ESPECIALLY if you're jumping your vehicle a lot (either bashing, or on a track l.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    Last edited by Panther6834; 08-30-2019 at 08:39 PM.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC poster
    The one on the rusty is horrible. The one on the maxx works great

Quote Originally Posted by ctony View Post
    The one on the rusty is horrible. The one on the maxx works great
    I haven't had any problems with it yet...there's a certain feel to getting it on but other than that it works pretty good.
    You just have to press down on the front to slide it in and then make sure the sides are on the outside of the chassis. It's pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    I haven't had any problems with it yet...there's a certain feel to getting it on but other than that it works pretty good.
    You just have to press down on the front to slide it in and then make sure the sides are on the outside of the chassis. It's pretty easy.
    I'm fairly certain ctony wasn't referring to the install/removal prices of the body, but how realistically-usable the clipless system is. Sure, I can very easily install, and remove, the body...but, when it came to running the Rusty, the front of the body was CONSTANTLY popping off. Any time you have a frontal impact of more than a nominal amount, it causes the body to bend, and the front "clip" pops out.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Sure, I can very easily install, and remove, the body...but, when it came to running the Rusty, the front of the body was CONSTANTLY popping off. Any time you have a frontal impact of more than a nominal amount, it causes the body to bend, and the front "clip" pops out.
    For sure, I have seen videos that show folks having the body pop-off of their Rustler 4x4, I think that it's only happened to me once. I may not bash as hard as many, but I drive poorly enough that there are plenty of front-end hits (LOL). Maybe it's down to manufacturing tolerances, or some other combination of factors, but clip-less body-popping-off has not been and issue for me.
    Got 99 problems, but the ~ahem~ body ain't one. :-)

--BillJ

RC Qualifier
    It have happen only twice on our rustler so far, and that was from a very High jump and bad landing both times.

When we had regular body with clips they felt off and made the body loose more often vs what it do on this new rustler
    I would guess someone mounts are tighter then others.
    You could modify it a bit to get it tighter.
    Saw a guy on YouTube that used a screw in front there..

I prefere this clipless body, so good to finaly not need to order and have spare clips with you.
    They always fell off during bashing or get pretty bent so im very happy with the new system.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    I'm fairly certain ctony wasn't referring to the install/removal prices of the body, but how realistically-usable the clipless system is.
    All I said was that was the only issue I ever noticed with it...