RC poster

Trx4 wont turn on

I just got a trx4 today had it out for 10 minutes crawling it flipped over once and the steering stopped working, brought it inside to take a look at everything and try to fix the servo issue and now it wont turn on it flashed on for a second now wont do anything. Is there anything I can do to fix or will I have to order a new esc?

RC poster
    What do you mean by „tried to fix it“? Probably not the esc but the steering servo.
    Do the other servos work? Does the led on the receiver work?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

RC poster
    The steering servo stopped working completely, found alot of things online about the fuse being the issue in the servo so i did the same "fix" as everyone else. When I plugged it back in and tried to turn it on the system blinked on then shutoff and wont turn back on. There's no led

RC poster
    You probably grilled the ESC. Shortcutting the fuse can cause that if the servo is dead. To you have another ESC to test that? You should disconnect the broken servo from the receiver first.
    And you probably need a new Servo too. I would suggest a Hobbywing Quickrun 1080 ESC and a new and more powerful servo anyway.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Sounds like the same thing that happened to my daughter's Bronco a month ago. The steering servo went first and the ESC flashed a sequence that was not listed in the manual. After restarting the ESC a few more times without changing the servo the ESC just stopped doing anything. Just like Matooch suggested we replaced it with the Hobbywing 1080 and a cheap but more powerful servo from Amazon and she is happy again. I had changed my steering servo in the Defender already about a year ago with the Power HD WP-23KG and switched to the Hobbywing 1080 ESC about 6 months later. The combination satisfies my requirements since I don't do any competitions, just trail crawling.
    Reinhard

Quote Originally Posted by Tay View Post
    The steering servo stopped working completely, found alot of things online about the fuse being the issue in the servo so i did the same "fix" as everyone else. When I plugged it back in and tried to turn it on the system blinked on then shutoff and wont turn back on. There's no led
    Sounds like you shorted the fuse on the steering servo, if that is the case, you removed the protection keeping the ESC's BEC from frying. In short, the fuse is not the issue, the servo drawing too much current is.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Send Traxxas an e-mail. If you just got the truck they may send you a new one as a warranty or as a courtesy. They've taken care of me on a couple of things. They're customer satisfaction is right on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Ranger View Post
    Send Traxxas an e-mail. If you just got the truck they may send you a new one as a warranty or as a courtesy. They've taken care of me on a couple of things. They're customer satisfaction is right on.
    Normally top-notch customer support.

I don't recommend to you tell them that you shorted out a safety feature because of something you read on the internet, they will likely not be terribly helpful after that.

...and, because they do read the forums, recommend not giving them your screen name either...

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Normally top-notch customer support.

I don't recommend to you tell them that you shorted out a safety feature because of something you read on the internet, they will likely not be terribly helpful after that.

...and, because they do read the forums, recommend not giving them your screen name either...
    I'll never understand why people don't just buy from the LHS and let them deal with the initial warranty issues instead of making matters worse by going straight to the internet...even here is no replacement for customer service. There's a lot of good and bad advice right here on the forums...the internet in general is much worse.

The internet prices are not much different than the LHS...Traxxas does a pretty good job in keeping that playing field as level as possible.

Even the kit parters like Jenny's isn't really much cheaper once you factor in shipping.

Traxxas tries to encourage us supporting the LHS too. Their own warranty info suggests the LHS as a first resort.
    Last edited by USMC1984; 09-01-2019 at 07:30 PM.

RC poster
    True. You should try to get the parts replaced by your dealer, then sell them on eBay and buy the Hobbywing /Power HD combo.

RC poster
    i had the same problem just recently and my esc bit the dust. now i am trying to find a replacement esc as i bought a power HD 20g and i think it is the calpurit for my dead esc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickhunter1984 View Post
    i had the same problem just recently and my esc bit the dust. now i am trying to find a replacement esc as i bought a power HD 20g and i think it is the calpurit for my dead esc.
    Just curious...what is a calpurit? I've never heard of that before.

RC poster
    I think he meant „culprit“: someone who has committed a crime or done something wrong

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...nglish/culprit

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    Just curious...what is a calpurit? I've never heard of that before.
    Don't know if Traxxas has corrected the problem, but there was/is a problem with the TRX4's servo and ESC. Basically, the ESC's BEC is only rated at 1A, if you draw any more and the ESC is toast. The servo can draw more than 1A, but is fused to prevent it from drawing too much current from the ESC's BEC and causing it to fry. This is normally why people end up with dead stock servos. The "fix" is to solder a piece of wire where the servo's fuse was. The problem is the servo will draw too much current, and without the servo fuse protection, the ESC's BEC will fry.

***Bypassing circuit protection like fuses is always a bad idea, likely to cause damage to other electronics, likely to start a fire, and could injure someone. Also, in just about all cases, will void the warranty***

Even in TRX4's without the "fix", sometime the servo will draw too much current and the fuse will not blow causing ESC's BEC to fry.

The real fix is two-fold...
    First, the stock servo is not bad for what it is, but it is way under powered for a scaler/crawler at 120oz. Getting it bound up will make it pull current and fry itself of the ESC. For trailing you really want at least 200oz, and crawling, at least 300oz. So, the real fix to this side of the problem is to get another servo.

The second part of this has two fixes...
    The XL5HV is actually a pretty good ESC for an RTR, its one main downfall is that 1A BEC. So, if you are happy with its performance, the fix is to get an external BEC. Traxxas sells a drop-in kit, and it works well. The down sides are that it is spendy and it is only 3A. The other option is to buy a Castle Creations 10A BEC, these work very well and provide all of the power you need. There are a number of ways it can be wired up, depending on what you want. The down sides are that you need some soldering skills for installation, you have to put it in a waterproof case or waterproof it yourself (I use conformal coating), and you have to be careful when programming the voltage, the stock RX can only go to 6VDC.

If you want an easier route, there is the HW 1080 ESC that comes with a 3A BEC. For the most part, it will power your upgraded servo, lights, winch and RX. This ESC is easy to program and very reasonably priced. The main down side is that 3A BEC, and not as many tuning options as more expensive options. Even at 3A, you can still experience some glitching or brown-outs. If you have about $180 burning a hole in your pocket, you can step up to a Castle Mamba-X system with low KV motor (I like the 1900), this has an 8 amp BEC and all the tuning options you could want.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 09-13-2019 at 06:21 PM.

RC poster
    pretty informative, thanks for that. Just installed exactly that, the BEC and the esc you mentioned and the truck just wome up,so much power snd control now from A to Z. One questiin tho, how would you go as to connect the traxxas lightkit?

If it is a standard Traxxas LED kit, you should be able to connect the red connector that comes off of the ESC to the LED kit input wire.