RC poster

Question Gears for 2wd slash 3660 can 2600kv brushless?

Finally decided to go brushless on my slash....

Just ordered a 3660 2600kv motor (5mm shaft) and hobbywing 120a esc. Plan to run 3s.
    Can anyone recommend me a gearing setup for bashing with the larger 4.7" duratrax hatchet tires?

Thanks

With the CC 1415 motor, 2400 kv, and Yeti SCORE tires, about 4.7", I ran 16-86 with 48p, hitting mid 40's on a 10 lb scratch build, RPM case. Your first casualty will be the lay shaft pin. Drill and use an axle pin, clearance the gear for the larger shaft. Program the esc to be a bit gentle when you hit it and you should be fine, on loose dirt. Grass or asphalt, don't know what you want there.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
    With the CC 1415 motor, 2400 kv, and Yeti SCORE tires, about 4.7", I ran 16-86 with 48p, hitting mid 40's on a 10 lb scratch build, RPM case. Your first casualty will be the lay shaft pin. Drill and use an axle pin, clearance the gear for the larger shaft. Program the esc to be a bit gentle when you hit it and you should be fine, on loose dirt. Grass or asphalt, don't know what you want there.
    Should i run 32pitch gears? I have not even been inside the transmission yet....will have to look into this layshaft pin upgrade unless you have any links?

Thanks!

I've haven't had problems with the 48p format. Axles, that is another story. I run 1/10 Summit axles now with good luck. MIP X Duty program will work for you. As for the lay shaft, I think the pin is 1/16" if I recall. Search me and look for the bulletproof tranny thread, it will answer many q's. I can't get it to paste into my response here for some reason.

RC poster
    I've haven't had problems with the 48p format. Axles, that is another story. I run 1/10 Summit axles now with good luck. MIP X Duty program will work for you. As for the lay shaft, I think the pin is 1/16" if I recall. Search me and look for the bulletproof tranny thread, it will answer many q's. I can't get it to paste into my response here for some reason.
    I cant post a pic (probably because i just registered)
    But i have some steel axles made for the slash on my brushless 2wd ruckus and they are pretty nice....same as stock but made of hardened steel. They are fairly new to the scene but what reviews they have are good.
    I wonder if i should order another set for the slash?
    If you search ebay "Hardened Steel Driveshafts CVD Kit For Traxxas Slash " you will find them.

I have the stock 48p 90-16 gearing. Would that be decent with the setup i ordered if I stick with 2s for now?
    I have a bunch of 2s lipos already but a bunch of guys at work are building up their slash 4wd with crazy setups and just wanted at least 3s but could deal with 2s if transmission and axles wont handle it.

Gonna be slow on 2s, there are gear calculators online where you can work up gearing numbers. Pinions are cheap. Drawing a blank with s count and kv right now. 2.72 is the gearing in the tranny, calculate the circumference of the tires.

RC poster
    Gonna be slow on 2s, there are gear calculators online where you can work up gearing numbers. Pinions are cheap. Drawing a blank with s count and kv right now. 2.72 is the gearing in the tranny, calculate the circumference of the tires.
    Im still researching....lol

Had only a few minutes left for guaranteed delivery tomorrow with amazon prime so rushed into ordering gears and a 3s without time to read more about what I need. I ordered a 32p 56t spur, and 32p 13T, 14T, 15T, 16T,and 17T pinion set. Hopefully I can get in the ballpark of usable bashability
    Last edited by Deezdrama; 09-01-2019 at 01:17 AM.

RC poster
    I planned on starting somewhere around 54-16 but since i will be running much larger tires 4.7" duratraxs (im basically building a monster slash or slashpede) I figured the larger tires would increase my top end so got the 56t spur which probably wasnt a good choice now that ive had time to ponder.
    So Ill have 4.7" tires, 56t spur and a 13,14,15,16,17t pinion set I guess Ill start with 56/17 and probably need to order some more higher tooth count pinion gears? Or a lower spur?

Ive had several RC's over the years but this is the first time im going 3s and messing with gearing so if anyone can just throw out a safe ballpark gear setup number Id appreciate it!
    Ive found the calculators but dont even know what Im aiming for. Im not racing or looking to hit crazy speeds. I just do alot of parking lot/grass/dirt jumping at my work parking lot and want something fast but wont overheat but I dont mind low end torque either.

thanks again guys!

RC Qualifier
    Do you have temp gun? Best thing to save your electronics is to keep temperatures in safe zone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Yep I do. I ordered an 18,19,20,21,and 22t set as well so will have to play around with it i guess

Well.........??????? The verdict is????

RC poster
    Parts come today and tomorrow.
    I got the slash on the workbench. Installed motor, proline body mount, shocks, new tires last night.
    My esc and low gear set comes today, and my 3s.

Ill have to play around with it after work next week - trying different pinions and checking temps.

You say your running summit axles? Those would work on 2wd? They are beefier?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Think Iím at 11/50 or 13/50. 17/50 was too fast. 11/50 with vxl diffs is great.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC poster
    finally got everything in and buttoned up.

running 32p 15/56 on 3s

WOW
    Had to tighten down the slipper some more it was just spinning like crazy. Had to set it about 1/8 turn from fully tight.
    I like some wheelie action and didnt want to burn slipper up. Its pretty crazy, made some laps in the grass for about 10min and temp gun says 130f. Felt a little warmer to the touch but ill stick some masking tape on the can to give the temp gun a better surface for more accurate reading.

Heres my gearing info according to gearwizard calculator.
    Does anything look concerning? Im pretty happy with it as is...will just have to keep eye on temps.

Outer Tire Diameter 4.7
    Spur Gear 56
    Pinion Gear 15
    Transmission Ratio 2.73: 1

Tire Circumference 14.765
    Pinion:Spur Ratio 3.733
    Gearing Quotient 10.192
    Rollout Ratio 1.449