RC Enthusiast

17mm wheel upgrade advise!!

Hey there! I'm looking to upgrade from the stock wheel hex's/hub (I've seen them called both) to 17mm's. I have a 2200 castle system that is just a little too much snort for 3.3" wheels. I'm using MIP X Duty axels. I'm not super brand loyal for the parts I'm looking for, I am just hoping to find the right parts the first time, instead of my usual trial and error method haha. Do the 17mm hex's attach right over the stock 12's? Or do the stock hex's come off when attaching larger ones? Please help!!!!

Thank you so so much!

RC Qualifier
    The new hub attaches to the axle and uses the pin I have traxxas brand set that I used once if you’re interested on me I give um to ya for 20 bucks shipped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For mip axels your best bet is the hot racing 17mm adapters. They have been the most reliable when it comes to mip axels.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    For mip axels your best bet is the hot racing 17mm adapters. They have been the most reliable when it comes to mip axels.

Just make sure you locktite the inner nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post

This is also my current setup - MIP axles with keyed stubs with Hot Racing 17mm adaptors they go over the metal hex from the MIP kit. I prefer this type of 17mm adaptor because I still have access to the 12mm hex if I ever want to again. They do add some width but it can be corrected with the right offset in the rim if that is even a concern. With the E-Maxx long body I use makes a great fit.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ati View Post
    Just make sure you locktite the inner nuts.

heck no! I didn't Loctite mine, and still couldn't get them off. you don't need Loctite if you just tighten them properly. I haven't lost one yet. I have had to drill and use an easy out that I had to hammer in to get one of the barrel nuts out.... make sure to use quality tools. I use a stock Traxxas T wrench for the nuts, but any 17mm socket will work

I have MIP x duty and both the 6mm and 10mm widths of the HR adapters.

I currently run shockwaves on proline wheels, they were premounted and glued at the factory

RC Qualifier
    I had MIP X-Duty axles with MIP 17mm conversion. It worked fine but kinda pricy like all MIP products...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    heck no! I didn't Loctite mine, and still couldn't get them off. you don't need Loctite if you just tighten them properly. I haven't lost one yet. I have had to drill and use an easy out that I had to hammer in to get one of the barrel nuts out.... make sure to use quality tools. I use a stock Traxxas T wrench for the nuts, but any 17mm socket will work

I have MIP x duty and both the 6mm and 10mm widths of the HR adapters.

I currently run shockwaves on proline wheels, they were premounted and glued at the factory
    He's talking about the inner nuts that go on the 12mm stub axles, which do need lots of locktite to stay in place.

The 17mm nuts have a rubber gasket that stays in place pretty well.

There is an easy explanation to why so many people regularly claim not to need threadlocker on fasters with cut threads. The tolerances in the manufacturing cut thread stock is so loose and rough that likely 50% of them can grip metal fairly well. And in a hobby setting will do the job needed. But most would consider a 50% throw of the dice a bad gamble where loctite done properly equals a near 99% reliable service life.

If we used rolled threaded fasteners in our hobby which have very smooth threads but are prohibitively expensive. We would never hear of anyone ever claiming they don't use threadlocker.

OP: What wheel/tire combo are you planning to run with the 17mm hexes?
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    He's talking about the inner nuts that go on the 12mm stub axles, which do need lots of locktite to stay in place.

The 17mm nuts have a rubber gasket that stays in place pretty well.
    I know. I actually stripped out a barrel nut and had a heck of a time removing it. I have never used loctite on them. I have never had a problem. But again, some people may not be as strong as some, or use inferior tools.

I run a more aggressive setup than most here. Not the most by any means. But a lot more aggressive than stock. My driving style is aggressive as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Upside down, and vertical "side hills" seem aggressive to me. Good job.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroBugg View Post
    Not my fault. Tapatalk does that sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by NitroBugg View Post
    Those are some really sticky tires!

RC Enthusiast
    I went with the HR adapters with the MIP axles.

Oooo, what I feeling. We're dancing in the ceiling.....

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better