RC Competitor

Traxxas Slash 4x4 fell in to pool, rusted. Is it dead, or can I still fix it?

So before this summer, I drove my 4x4 slash right in to my pool, if fell in the deep part and was in there for a good 60 seconds before I got a pole and fished it out. After a few days of drying, I turned it on with a new battery. The light on the ESC went green, and then started flashing. It would not receive any signal from my remote. I also have changed the remote batteries. Then I went out for the summer and left it in my garage for the whole summer. When i came back, some parts were slightly rusted, but there was no damage to the driveshaft. I opened up the box with wires to the right of the ESC, and dried it out. It still would not work. (turns on but green light on ESC keeps flashing). Is my Slash dead, or can I still fix it?

Its a little late now, but the first thing you should have done was to open up the RX box and make sure everything was dry.

But, all is not lost, and aside from performance, being able to fix these rigs is why we buy hobby-grade...

First things first, when you power it on, are there any LEDs that light up on the receiver (the thing in the box of wires)? If so, what color is it, is it blinking or steady, and if it blinking, is it slow or fast (this is with the transmitter on)?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I have sank one of my Ultimate edition trucks in my pond a few times. You probably need to recalibrate everything to the esc. If the lights still come on, I think there's a good chance of your truck being fine. As a side note; the last time I sank my Ultimate edition I replaced all of the bearings on the truck.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Its a little late now, but the first thing you should have done was to open up the RX box and make sure everything was dry.

But, all is not lost, and aside from performance, being able to fix these rigs is why we buy hobby-grade...

First things first, when you power it on, are there any LEDs that light up on the receiver (the thing in the box of wires)? If so, what color is it, is it blinking or steady, and if it blinking, is it slow or fast (this is with the transmitter on)?
    I tried to PM you but your message box is full...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post

When I power it on, the box with the heat sink and the power button turns on. The light blinks in green and quickly. I think there is water inside but I am not sure, as there is a clear resin inside.

Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    When I power it on, the box with the heat sink and the power button turns on. The light blinks in green and quickly. I think there is water inside but I am not sure, as there is a clear resin inside.
    Fast green blinking indicates that the ESC thinks the transmitter's throttle, or throttle trim is not at zero.

Page 19:
    https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R03.pdf

Make sure your radio throttle trim is set at zero before powering on the truck.

The thing with the heat sink is the ESC, and likely is not flooded. The black box where all of the wires go is the receiver box, and the receiver is inside, this could be flooded.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I have experience with submerged vehicles. I would bet a little water seeped into your reciever box and faulted your reciever. I've had more than one traxxas reciever go bad from water and sometimes they still light up as they should, but either won't bind or function properly. The resin you are seeing on the ESC is the conformal coating they use to waterproof it. As long as it is done properly the ESC will function even under water for extended periods of time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk