RC poster

Trx 3.3 engine upgrade/ replacement?

Hello. I am completely new to forums, I need help! I am trying to figure out what engine would be a good replacement/upgrade in my revo, that will fit with no mods and that is not outrageously priced. Please help. Thanks.

3.3 with Losi 3.4 carb and THS pipe will wake it up.

Dynamite .19 Mach 2 which is about the same price as a 3.3 but reported to be an okay engine at best with issues pertaining to tune and the exhaust fitment.

O.S. .21TM is a great engine but tough on the wallet.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    3.3 with Losi 3.4 carb and THS pipe will wake it up.

Dynamite .19 Mach 2 which is about the same price as a 3.3 but reported to be an okay engine at best with issues pertaining to tune and the exhaust fitment.

O.S. .21TM is a great engine but tough on the wallet.
    I just started breaking in a os 21tm ,can't comment yet but seems really stable and punchy. Received as a gift couldn't say no.
    Have had stock 3.3 with different carb and modded pipe,for the price its a killer combo,easier tuning and more power.
    Dynamite .19 never tried.
    My vote would be stock 3.3 with different carb,I am really impressed with the setup,and had very good luck with its performance!

I had a stock 3.3. Then the rage was different carbs and many settled on the Losi (myself as well, even though the Losi forums said the carb sucked and they had better luck on their 3.4's with a Traxxas carb). Repinched, installed a THS and that motor came alive. Easier to tune and fun to run around. After that figured I'd try the 21TM (still with the THS) and it starts right up, I barely have to turn the needles and it runs fantastic! With 16t/38t gearing it will stand it up on the rear wing or do standing backflips off a tree. Some have had transmission issues but for the past few winters during my tear-down I haven't noticed any additional wear to the gears.
    Many people bit on the Dynamite when they first came out but it sounded like it bit them back...only harder.
    The Super Derecho

I tried the 3.3 a couple times in my revo. I really wanted it to be enough. I got my 3.3 revo used and after running it a while, I thought perhaps the engine was worn out/abused. So I got a new engine, new clutch, broke it in and it was pretty much the same. Had a wandering tune and just didn't perform well for me. I got the THS pipe, it helped, but not a lot. I got the 3.4 carb and it helped quite a bit, then started binding regardless how I adjusted the linkage.

At the time, I also had a big block revo I converted using a new era leaner mount and the THS big block pipe. I think part of my issue was having that being so overpowered that I wanted more than the 3.3 could give me. But, I didn't want 2 big block revo's. I wanted one I could rip around, not go through fuel and not bend the engine bay every time I hit a decently high jump due to the extra weight of the big block engine.

So I got the 21TM. I had dynamite max life 2 shoe clutch and the THS pipe on it. It was a bit weak/finicky to tune until I got 3/4 of a gallon through it. Then it really started performing well and holding a good tune all day long. I did change the trans to RRP steel as after the 4th time having the transmission apart after installing the 21TM, I had enough. It would either shear the teeth off the input gear or shear the pin off the second to final output gear.

Going big block or 21TM is about the same expense, but the 21TM is a good option if you want a bit more power and a more solid tune.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    Thanks for the advice. Has anyone tried the nova .21or .28, I have also been researching pro teck, or the lrp any knowledge on these brands? like I said i am only familiar with the 3.3 and the hpi.

My big block revo has an LRP28S3 in it and my savage x has an LRP30S2. LRP makes decent long lasting engines. The 28 was plenty for either truck, I was just having issues with the LRP28S3 in my savage, which I think ended up being a fuel delivery problem that I sorted out later after installing the 30.

I don't know much about installing a big block though without a new era style leaner mount that lets you fit pretty much any big block. I never tried the traxxas big block kit.

I do know that regardless which you go with, upgrading the trans with RRP steel gears is pretty much a necessity.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    Mine 's running OS .21 and is perfect that way ! plenty of power , tune is simple . but I find it long to reach peak performance . What I mean is full break in + almost 1/2 gallon to see it rip the grass

RC Enthusiast
    I did some basic porting to a stock 3.3 engine that anyone with a cheap dremel tool could do. The end result was a revo that will wheelie and flip over in forwards and reverse if your not careful with the throttle, has an extra 3-5 mph top speed, and holds a tune longer. I have also heard that a losi 3.4 carb will help a lot but I haven't tried it. I have heard great things about the OS .21 engines but they are too expensive for many people.

RC poster
    I am sorry but the stock engine is garbage! I would go with the .28 Tecnopower engine. Yes you read that right. .28 displacement. I think they also make .26 version. These engines are Italian made and are on par with novarossi engines in terms of manufacturing standards. They make use of the long stroke principle so they are powerful like a beast and are also relatively efficient. You can find them on ebay for a good price. These engines standard come with the full cnc manufactored engine mount and Mabushi EZ starter motor.

RC poster
    I forgot to mention, the tecnopower engines are made for traxxas so you won't need to do any mods. The company that manufactures them is Tecnomeccanica.