Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

SSC LCG v TRCE LCG for Slash 4x4

Hey folks,

I have been reviewing the two latest and greatest low center of gravity chassis(LCG) kits for the SL4x4. I'm trying to figure out which kit will work better, last longer, easier to maintain, etc.

Product details:

Shinning Star Chassis (SSC) - http://www.ssclcg.com/index.php?main_page=index
    Pre-assembled made from Aluminum
    Price: $155 to $175
    > Isolated center diff mount
    > Has a heavy duty stand alone motor mount
    > Designed for as much dirt pass-thru as possible
    > Battery tray accepts 2-3 cell & larger lipo packs. Battery straps that allow replacement w/o body removal
    Video: http://youtu.be/0p4DvtDyAoc

Team RCE Chassis (TRCE) - http://t-rce.com/shop.html#ecwid:cat...roduct=5421521
    UN-assembled made from 3mm Carbon fiber top, bottom plate and battery tray the rest is Nickle plated magnesium
    Price: $170
    > Showroom appearance
    > Chassis gives the slash more steering and bump steer adjustment without driveshaft interference
    > Design enables fast, sharp turns
    > Battery tray accepts 2-3 cell lipo battery packs
    > Aluminum shock towers with adjustable body mounts for an extra $80 (FR/RR)
    Video: http://youtu.be/FBfGTchGK1g

Both kits look great and should be a HUGE improvement over the stock chassis. I really would love to test drive them both but since I can't I decided to reach out to you'll. If anyone owns or is also considering getting one of these LCG kits, then please feel free to chime in with your two cents =)

DriveItLikeYaStoleIT

SL4x4 / Pede4x4

RC Competitor
    I can say this after my lunch time run with my lastest toy ........ IF these chassis' handle nearly as well as the car I just put together last night well .... I'll be getting one soon ..... I got the Hyper 10SC NIB for $165 shipped so it'll be hard to handle a LCG chassis for the Slash BUT it's only $ I guess!

SS

RC Qualifier
    Nice write-up! Decided to go with the Team-RCE, and I LOVE IT

RC Qualifier
    Thanks..Nice lookin TRCE SL4x4!

I spoke with Mark from SSC today and I think I might be a lil biased now. But I have more research to do and possibly a test drive in the near future before I make my final decision.

Do you race on an indoor or outdoor track? How do you like your Hot body D8 shocks?

DriveItLikeYaStoleIT

SL4x4 / Pede4x4
    Superman don't need no seatbelt-Ali
    2x SSC SL4x4

RC Qualifier
    I race both. Before mostly indoor, but now starting to get more into outdoor racing. Indoor doesn't let your truck perform at it's highest potential. Had my D8s tuned for indoor with rod spacers, but now I don't really need them. The shocks with 35wt are super plush and absorb all the little and big stuff. Recently I switched over to the D8 grey springs, which seem alot smoother. Can't wait to try out the new setup the weekend, the truck drives, jumps and handles great!

My channel has alot of vids of this truck with the D8s! http://www.youtube.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/CyconXc?feature=mhee

RC Qualifier
    I'm loving this outdoor track in Logansville, GA. I gotta check it out the next time I'm in the area.

Your Castle ESC-Motor combo is a BEAST..WoW @ 1406 / 4P / 5700 kv motor with 54T Spur and 17 pinion on 3s Lipos..Can you only run that at 100% of 150? Would this set up work in a SL4x4?

RC Qualifier
    Yah, it's really nice. Love their layout.

The mmp has loads of power! With this 5700kv, I only run it on 2s at 115%. Until I get a motor fan, I don't want to go any higher % or use a 3s. After a 10min main, the motor only got 110 oF. Most said it was too high of a kv for a 4x4, but it seems good so far with my gearing. I was having secong thoughts when I was getting it almost brand new from a guy, but I just went with it. On the straights, the front wheels are ballooning hugely! Castle motors have a ton of torque!

RC Qualifier

I've had the SSC chassis for little over month now and i love this chassis ive noticed bigger air
    and i heck of alot more durabilty but what i like the most is how it spreads the heat from the
    motor through out the chassis keeping the temp way down. I run 3s back to back with the
    MMP 2400 22/52 temp are at 130 to 140 plus im running oversized wheels/tires. Im not sure
    where in florida your at but if your close to Tampa area i dont mind lettting you test driving it
    so you can get a feel for the chassis.
    BASH!! BASH!! BASH!! & BASH IT AGAIN!! <CAGE RAGE>

RC Qualifier
    CAGE..That is a S-I-C, sSc LCG SL4x4! Castle MM with a 1415 / 3800 kv motor?

I am in Jacksonville, FL or about 3 hrs away from you but I'll be in Tallahassee, FL this weekend for the FSU spring game. They also have an outdooor track with wicked new layout. Check it out:

http://youtu.be/hb40b7b6pPo

They races in Tallahassee on every 1st Saturday of the month. I'll probably go back May. Is there a track in Tampa? If there isn't, I would let ya BASH my PEDE 4x4 while i test drive =) How are your integy piggy back shocks workiong out for ya?
    2x SSC SL4x4

RC Qualifier
    I would have thought the samething about your KV & gearing..Let me know how it's working out for ya because I'm getting a new ESC/Motor combo later on this week. I'll definately consider this setup WITH a Fan & an external BEC =) I was debating between the Viper Copperhead R VX4R.51 Sensorless Brushless Motor (4600kv) /ESC System and 4600 Tekin Pro 4 with RX8 ESC

Are you plugging you ESC up to your PC to adjust your throttle?
    2x SSC SL4x4

RC Champion
    i'm thinking of trying to make a lcg chassis, nothing fancy. Just buy some 3mm graphite and get some drawings done up and go to work. i prefer the graphite look over alloy any day.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Qualifier
    THanks funny i was planning to go to the FSU Game but i have family from out of town
    coming in. LOL what are the odds of that happening being at the same game. The motor
    is a Castle Mamba Max Pro SCT 2400 freaken thing is awesome no heat issues at all
    especialy now with the new chassis. Yes im pluging in my esc into my pc to adjust the
    setting you just have to play with the setting to see what works better you. The only
    setting that is a must is the Low voltage which IMO should be set at 3.5 With the right
    gearing and a good 2s you will not have any issues at the track its still fast on the 2s
    but when you pop in the 3s or 4s WATCH OUT... crazy fast. the fan on the motor is only
    used when im going back to back with 4s lipos other then that it just sitts there i took
    it off two days ago since i mostly run 3s. As for the BEC the castle esc has a internal
    bec so you dont have to get a BEC. hopefully that makes sence what im trying to say is
    the esc has a bec buid in so there is no need to buy another bec with the castle sytem.
    oh there is a track in lake park its off dalemabry which is pretty awesome they also have
    two bmx tracks right next to the rc track. The piggys are working great every once in awhile
    im have one that leaks but thats beacuse it comes loose just tighten it back up. Ill have to
    make plans to go in june up to tallahassee for the races. Im trowing my son a PIG roast
    for his first birthday that saturday in may.. BUt ill keep in touch with ya and if you got any
    questions shoot my a msg.. hopefully i answered all ya questions. LOL i was alittle all over
    the place in my reply back...
    BASH!! BASH!! BASH!! & BASH IT AGAIN!! <CAGE RAGE>

RC Enthusiast
    They are both good kits. Had a blast racing with Mark (ssc) at the Nitro Psycho blast in GA. There are a few differences in the 2 kits. SSC is all aluminum. The TRCE kit is magnesium and carbon fiber. The TRCE kit has built in sway bar mount. It also spreads the bellcrank posts eliminating driveshaft interference and gives you a ton of steering. Both work well pulling heat from the motor. Both are competitive. You wont go wrong either way.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TRCE View Post
    They are both good kits. Had a blast racing with Mark (ssc) at the Nitro Psycho blast in GA. There are a few differences in the 2 kits. SSC is all aluminum. The TRCE kit is magnesium and carbon fiber. The TRCE kit has built in sway bar mount. It also spreads the bellcrank posts eliminating driveshaft interference and gives you a ton of steering. Both work well pulling heat from the motor. Both are competitive. You wont go wrong either way.
    now thats class
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar

my TeamRCE truck handles the heat transfer process beautifully! Around the house bashing, I run 3s on a CC 3800 geared 16/52.. screaming fast and tops out at 160F if I don't take brakes. Street/speed only, with brakes for cooling, I run 19/52 and 3s. Motor is always cool enough to make me happy, never over 170 but the mmp gets up to cut off at 200 so I need cooling time. At the track, I've found 18/52 and to be fast on 2s. Not to much for the track and plenty of torque/top end missing to keep me smiling, still, temps are low, 150 esc and 130 on the motor. I couldn't keep it that cool in a lighter p4de so I'm sure it would be really heating up in a stock sl4sh chassis. As far as the 2400 is concerned, you just don't have heat issues till your running at autobahn speeds lol. I can't imagine seeing anything above 150 cause I never even got above 125 running we/52 I think it was.

I've driven a ssc chassis, it was comfortable and very capable but I chose the RCE chassis because of its over all quality. I was more than wowed by the components and looks. This was the first chassis I had a tough time bashing..but I have the past couple weeks. Its an amazing street set up. I've been drifting and doing speed runs but still hit the dirt and grass for well rounded bashing lol. I'm happy with the choice, and will do another RCE soon.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TRCE View Post
    Thanks for the update! I am still torn because you are offering to completly different products. This has really started to remind of buying a new car..They both look great on paper but its really gonna come down to which fits my driving style better. Maybe I should convert my PEDE 4x4 into a TRCE and my SL4x4 into a SSC =)
    2x SSC SL4x4

RC Racer
    Ive had my trce chassis for a while now so here is my summary. It handles very well on carpet and dirt. And as far as on track durability, its excellent. But I have had a few issues. I stripped one of the holes in the motor mount. It actually tore the threads out when I was removing the screw. ( i used blue loctite). Also, the hardware that comes with the kit isnt the greatest. So after only a few races I have to replace the motor mount, and I want to replace all the hardware. It is no doubt a big improvement over stock, but I dont know that its the BEST solution out there. If I were building another slash racer, I might consider the ssc for these reasons. I dont regret the purchase, its still a good kit. Just my .02.

RC Enthusiast
    Screws strip because people continue to run them with loose screws. You can also helicoil them and that puts durable steel threads in it. I have been running the same chassis for a year. Its been around the world and back. Still running strong. I maintain it between heats and if a screw backs out i remove it, clean it and reloctite it. When people continue to run with loose screws the pounding and screw movement can do a job on the threads.

RC Enthusiast
    What issues did you have with the actual hardware?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG23 View Post
    Ive had my trce chassis for a while now so here is my summary. It handles very well on carpet and dirt. And as far as on track durability, its excellent. But I have had a few issues. I stripped one of the holes in the motor mount. It actually tore the threads out when I was removing the screw. ( i used blue loctite). Also, the hardware that comes with the kit isnt the greatest. So after only a few races I have to replace the motor mount, and I want to replace all the hardware. It is no doubt a big improvement over stock, but I dont know that its the BEST solution out there. If I were building another slash racer, I might consider the ssc for these reasons. I dont regret the purchase, its still a good kit. Just my .02.
    Can you post some pictures of the harware that needs to be replaced?

RC Racer
    Hmm. Well i also do maintinence on my truck between heats. The screw was tight and loctited in place as I previously stated. It stripped when being removed to swap the center diff. A lot of threads came out with the loctite. After reinstalling the center diff, the screw would not tighten.

The hardware is weak. I stripped the head of a turnbuckle screw during initial assembly, and snapped the head off of another recently. I have never had this happen with a stock slash screw.

Funny how the manufacturer is making assumptions about how the damage occurred. Its also interesting that I feel the need to defend myself ( a paying customer) after merely writing an honest review of my experiences so far.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveItLikeYaStoleIT View Post
    Can you post some pictures of the harware that needs to be replaced?
    The screws I have had probles with are the steering bulkhead screws, #'s 13, and 19 in the instructions. The motor mount hole that stripped is the hole that screw #'s 12 thread into.

I want to say first of all I am NOT bashing this kit! As I have stated previously, I do NOT regret the purchase. It is NOT a carpet only chassis. That is rediculous. Who here has ever heard of anyone actually breaking this chassis? As the guy's at TRCE have stated, helicoils can be used, and are by nature stronger.

After a few weeks of practice at my local track I TQ'ed my first race... Thats all I need to say about the performance the chassis provides.

RC Enthusiast
    No need to defend yourself! I think you took my comments the wrong way. Or i came off the wrong way. I spoke to my engineer and we are already working on a solution based on your comments. I want honest reviews so we can continually improve our product. Just a note: we have shipped hundreds and hundreds of kits. 2 replacement motor mounts have been ordered. Yours must be one of them.

I took a look at the cad model last night. We are currently using m3 x 10 for the motor mount screws. The cad says we cad use m3 x 12. Also the m4 screws that go into the bulheads (short ones) will be replaced with m4 x 12 screws with lock nuts to put on the top. In doing this it should eliminate movement from loose screws and prevent the damage that you stated occured. Contact me through our contact page please.

RC Racer
    I am not the only one running this chassis at my lhs. The others are also quite happy with their kits. It would take a lot of work from your engineers, but the suggestion I made to you in the pm would be tremendous. Either way, its nice to see a company so proactive in the continual improvement of their products.

Any pics of the new control arms?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar

Plenty more pix of new and older design here
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...w-a-arm-design
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Racer
    TRCE why do you guys use magnesium instead of aluminum, if your aloud to say

RC Enthusiast
    Because it is lighter. Just like a MAGnesium wheel on a car.

RC poster
    TO TRCE. about your RCE LCG Carbon Fiber Conversion Kit. I am thinking about buying your kit but i would like to find a few things out first. the rear bearing for the drive shaft, is it a 10x15x4 or a 10x19x5? now here are things i would like to see. if it comes as a 10x15x4 i would like to see a choice to pick the kit with a 10x19x5 and that seems to be the hot thing right now so you may have some others wanting to upgrade from the 10x15x4 motor mount. some kind of dust cover to try to keep as much dirt out of that bearing as possible. maybe some kind of cone that seals on the drive shaft? also a few bundle choices would be nice for a little less then $289.96 if you buy each one, one at a time. is any of this possible?

RC Enthusiast
    Comes with the large bearing. Were already selling our parts for much less then they are worth. There are MANY machined parts in the kit.

RC Qualifier
    After doing some extensive research on both chassises, I purchased a SSC Lcg a couple weeks ago. I'm waiting on a few parts to complete the build. Current parts used:

Traxxas Stamepde Shock guards 6733 & 6732 Fr & Rr body mount, sway bars, Arms & Center Diff
    TXO-1 parts: Driveshafts Rear bearing carrier, C-hub, Steering
    STRC parts: Bell crank set #6845 Center drive shaft, front drive hub ST6888gm
    Lunsford Hinge pin and camber set Part #4727 (currently out of stock)
    RPM: Fr & Rr bumper and shock towers, steering, camber & servo turnbuckles
    Savox SC-0251MG High Torque Metal Gear Digital Servo
    Tekin rx 8
    Tenshock sc411 4000kv or 4600kv

I'll post some pix when it's completed.

RC soup just finished a shoot-out comparing the 3 most popular Lcg chassises. Here's some video footage, FF to 4 min mark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ7He...layer_embedded
    2x SSC SL4x4

RC Qualifier
    The SSC LCG kit has blown me away cause my slash 4x4 handles like a completely different truck. I have been running my SSC slash 4x4 on outdoor clay tracks. I'm also working on a SSC Slash 4x4 with an indoor setup.

My outdoor clay setup is: RX8 ESC, Tenshock sc411 4000kv motor, savox 1258tg servo, teckno rear driveshafts and I'm gonna order the SSC rear extended arms..

My indoor set up has XO-1 driveshafts, savox 0251mg servo, lunsford hinge pins and turnbuckles, strc shock towers, zeros off-set wheels, and either PL Pro-trac or TRCE arms (not pictured)

Last edited by DriveItLikeYaStoleIT; 09-06-2012 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Missing details
    2x SSC SL4x4

I started with a trce chassis on my truck and ssc on my wife's but like chrisg23 I have experienced some stripped out holes and I liked the feel of the wife's ssc better than the trce. We are both running ssc now.
    mine

wife's

old pic of the trce with ssc battery straps.
    X-Maxx Max6 | EB48.3 | ET48.3 | Axial Grave Digger

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    I started with a trce chassis on my truck and ssc on my wife's but like chrisg23 I have experienced some stripped out holes and I liked the feel of the wife's ssc better than the trce. We are both running ssc now.
    mine
    What motor are you using in this pic? It look like an XO-1 can...
    2x SSC SL4x4

it's a 2200 pulled from a revo but it's going towards an emaxx now. I need to pick a new motor and speed controller.
    X-Maxx Max6 | EB48.3 | ET48.3 | Axial Grave Digger

RC Competitor
    Does the ssc eliminate any of the drive shaft interference?

RC Qualifier
    Lookin' good!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CyconXc View Post
    Lookin' good!

It would look much better with a PAIR of T-RCE arms
    2x SSC SL4x4

RC Competitor
    Ordered the Black SSC 4X4 chassis, got an emai from Mark yesterday saying he was dropping it off at the Post Office on the way to a meet. All the pictures here are making it hard waiting for it to arrive!
    Slash 4X4 SSC , T-MAXX, Revo and Bandit
    TQi, iPod

RC Qualifier
    Congrats Chief and welcome to the SSC Slash 4x4 family !!! You won't be disappointed with this chassis and the owner is a great guy who not only stands by his product but he'll also bend over backwards to help ya out. Please feel free to contact me as well if you have in set-up questions, etc. Make sure ya post some pix ASAP when you get it installed
    2x SSC SL4x4

RC Enthusiast
    This thread votes as the closest thing online to trackside pit-talk. Pretty neat and I can even recognize the former RCIS track (still in operation under new name)! I can only bow down in humility at reading such nice things on a topic involving my own name. It's always a good time searching for a new Post Office en-route to a track. I dropped the prices thru Christmas since it's no secret that times are tough, so what better time than to do what you can to make others' Christmas a tad more enjoyable? Finally making a switch from long/narrow setup to a stock wheelbase/protrac arm setup (have some stock axles and a bin of 12mm hex rims/tires w/SC10 offset from scratched 2wd LCG development that I can run thru). I was going to do a tear down (last 2 were in July) but the brushed truck (the former backslash, late model & onroad platform w/plates freshened in Spring) was barely used so I'll do a quick build/swap of misc. parts before finally tearing down the long/narrow black truck. It's amazing how long/hard I've ran my black truck with as little oils/bearing maintenance, even Tekno axle maintenance as possible. I bet my driveshaft ends/splines are all cracked when I take it apart (I was hard enough on brakes/throttle to tear up 2-4000kv rotors back-to-back in same week). Feel like I'm switching over to a different truck and not sure if i'll like it in that short/wide a-arm form.....I'm expecting more carve speed but a slightly less planted rear on power. Bit twitchier too. Feel like I'm joining some of the SSC supporters already running that way. Using AE SC10 4x4 shocks a center diff, aluminum bellcrank and towers so if anyone has any setup/experience tips I'd love to hear it (loose outdoor & high-bite indoor clay tracks). It'll probably feel like a ballerina v. my 'touring-car' style truck setup (long and narrow).

PS-Have a Blessed Thanksgiving Weekend Everyone & Happy Racing!
    Last edited by SSC; 11-21-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast