Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Frankenstein Backslash

Starting to piece together a chassis to start a backslash project. I have been buying spare parts and decided to put them to use instead of waiting for the truck to break. I have the VXL diffs and shock towers installed in the case I got off Jennys RC so far, and a HCG chassis/bulkheads/steering unit coming Thursday off eBay. I think I have most of the other components I need in my spare pile minus the SCT backslash set and an ESC for my extra velineon motor if anyone has the newer style one for cheap that they arenít using anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds fun... what body are you planning to put on it?
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    I had the bajr body in mind but now I may go more buggy looking. I havenít found one I like like yet. I already have a paint job planned though

RC Racer

I was thinking of calling it a "budget backslash" and using the stock axles and spur gear, but then I decided to stay with 3s since I already have the batteries. I'll buy the aluminum motor mount, robinson clutch, and tekno drive shafts/wheel nuts. I already have the aluminum traxxas center drive shaft i'll use for now too. My other two have the tekno big bone in them.

Keep us posted!

RC Racer
    That is a great pic. All those pieces laying around waiting for anew home. I can't wait for more pics of the build!!
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC Racer
    Bought a few more pieces and got my hopmeup order today. Still need a transmitter/receiver and velineon esc if anyone has one for a decent price. Chassis should be here today too.

RC Racer
    I put the stock drive shafts and clutch in to check everything out. It was a bit of a pain to get the tie rods sorted out as to what size goes where but I finally got it. My exploded diagram wasnít much help or I read it wrong

RC Racer
    I got the Robinson racing clutch in tonight, and put on the STRC Backslash conversion setup. I didnít like the idea of leaving the pinion/spur cover off so I did some surgery to get the cover to fit under the rear body mount. Iím buying the Tekno M6 driveshafts front/rear and the big bone center shaft this week. Then Iíll be down to an ESC, transmitter/receiver, 17 mm adapters, wheels/tires, a body, and a wing. Now that I type all that out it sure sounds like a lot more than it did in my head!

Quote Originally Posted by calebgilmore View Post
    Now that I type all that out it sure sounds like a lot more than it did in my head!
    It's always more than you think it will be. Several months ago, I started planning out, and purchasing parts, for a similar conversion...except using a Rustler 4x4, as opposed to the usual Slash 4x4. After reaching a point where things got overly-complicated (tho, I've since figured out the great majority of said "complications"), I decided to put that project on hold...to which I started a different conversion on my other Rustler 4x4.

Thankfully, other than the planned ESC & motor replacement, that conversion is almost complete (should be creating a new thread within the Rustler 4x4 section within the next week). Then there's the matter of building up the Slash 4x4 rolling chassis I purchased (which, when complete, will have a Toyota Tundra SCT body. The point is, as I said in the beginning, these projects always take longer than expected, require more parts than expected...but, from what I've discovered so far, it's WELL worth it.

Enjoy your "creation".

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Racer
    Got the Tekno drive shafts in and the rear spoiler, so I had to put them on! Found out I bought the wrong screw pins for the drive shaft cups (too big! ) so I had to order the right ones and got 3 of the 4 drive shafts attached. The motor mount, transmitter/receiver, and esc should be here tomorrow, so all thatís left will be the body, 17mm hex adapters, wheels, and a wheelie bar

RC Racer
    Last time to have the rear end out til I break something got the aluminum motor mount and esc today. Transmitter and receiver should be here tomorrow now and I ordered a body! Iíll leave an 11t pinion in to watch temps at first.

Nice...looking good. Are you planning to put the motor/great cover back on, or are you planning on running it without? If you decide to leave it off, just remember that increased the possibility of damaging your spur gear, as dirt, rocks, etc have a greater probability of getting in there.

Tho I have to wait, I "can't wait" to start mine...but, again, I have to, as I'm currently working on two other projects.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Nice...looking good. Are you planning to put the motor/great cover back on, or are you planning on running it without? If you decide to leave it off, just remember that increased the possibility of damaging your spur gear, as dirt, rocks, etc have a greater probability of getting in there.

Tho I have to wait, I "can't wait" to start mine...but, again, I have to, as I'm currently working on two other projects.

I put it back on, it was off more to show the motor mount and gears. I hadnít put the rear suspension screws back in at the point either. I had to trim the cover to clear the buggy body mount.

I put it back on, it was off more to show the motor mount and gears. I hadnít put the rear suspension screws back in at the point either. I had to trim the cover to clear the buggy body mount.

Good to know...just thought I'd ask. I've seen some, and read of others, leaving it off...tho, I can never understand why. I've also seen a few people replace theirs with a clear acrylic one (not sure who makes it)...but, having worked in the plastics industry, I would never suggest/recommend that, as acrylic shatters. Now, if a manufacturer would make them using Lexan, that I could, and would, recommend.

RC Racer
    Good to know...just thought I'd ask. I've seen some, and read of others, leaving it off...tho, I can never understand why. I've also seen a few people replace theirs with a clear acrylic one (not sure who makes it)...but, having worked in the plastics industry, I would never suggest/recommend that, as acrylic shatters. Now, if a manufacturer would make them using Lexan, that I could, and would, recommend.

Right on. I live on a gravel (slag) road so I have to be careful of debris getting in. I run a hot racing dirt guard over my chassis. I donít know what kind of clearance Iíll have with the buggy body but Iím going to still run the dirt guard as long as it fits. Small rocks have loosened up the locknut on the clutch and burned up one esc fan already

Right on. I live on a gravel (slag) road so I have to be careful of debris getting in. I run a hot racing dirt guard over my chassis. I donít know what kind of clearance Iíll have with the buggy body but Iím going to still run the dirt guard as long as it fits. Small rocks have loosened up the locknut on the clutch and burned up one esc fan already

Don't think it was the rocks that "burned up" your ESC. In all likelihood, that was caused by the dirt guard, as it probably caused the temp to be high enough that you "killed" your ESC (luckily, the more didn't die, as well...or, did it?). If you live in a cooler area, they're probably ok...but, if you live where it gets warm, as most people will suggest, don't use those...they trap excess heat, causing the ESC and/or motor to overheat.

RC Racer
    Don't think it was the rocks that "burned up" your ESC. In all likelihood, that was caused by the dirt guard, as it probably caused the temp to be high enough that you "killed" your ESC (luckily, the more didn't die, as well...or, did it?). If you live in a cooler area, they're probably ok...but, if you live where it gets warm, as most people will suggest, don't use those...they trap excess heat, causing the ESC and/or motor to overheat.

Esc lived, the fan died when a rock got wedged in it

RC Racer
    I got the transmitter/receiver today so I hooked it all up. Couldnít get the receiver to power up at all swapped the wires around and it powered up with the esc on the wrong spot. Tried a sore servo in it wired up correctly and it worked. I guess the $13 eBay 2075 was crap!

I've also seen a few people replace theirs with a clear acrylic one (not sure who makes it)...
    The clear gear cover is made by Traxxas:

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6877A

RC Enthusiast
    I wish they made a clear one for the LCG so I can show off my nice hr aluminum motor mount. I had it on my HCG before I did the LCG conversion.

RC Racer
    Major Amazon/Jennysrc/Amain buy tonight to push to get all the parts needed to finish the backslash. Found a body I like better than the one I already bought, so I snagged it too to see if it would fit. Itís off a Losi 8ight xe. Iím hoping with the cab forward look of the bodies I can move the receiver up front (HCG chassis) and maybe go 1/8 combo in it down the road.

I have an 8ight-XE...GREAT vehicle. Losi/TLR make outstanding kits. Although, if you want to see the coolest-looking Backslash, look no further than Squeegie's Burning Chrome, which uses an Aarma Typhon body. If you remember the movie "Predator", Squeegie's looks like something the Predator would have driven.

RC Racer
    I have an 8ight-XE...GREAT vehicle. Losi/TLR make outstanding kits. Although, if you want to see the coolest-looking Backslash, look no further than Squeegie's Burning Chrome, which uses an Aarma Typhon body. If you remember the movie "Predator", Squeegie's looks like something the Predator would have driven.

Squeegie post a pic! Going to look that body up.

Squeegie, one thing I've constantly forgotten to ask...what front "bumper" is that?

Squeegie, one thing I've constantly forgotten to ask...what front "bumper" is that?

I don't want to jack the OP's thread.

Please ask questions regarding my builds on my threads... that said, here's your answer:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6442320

Have fun!

RC Racer
    Thatís awesome! This Mugen body dips in the back right on top the esc so itís gonna sit a little high. Iíll see how the 8ight xe body fits and may be looking at the Typhon next. As a side note I picked up a Senton 3s for cheap with a beat up body and found a new body on jennysrc and tried it on my slash is that better or worse than a BLX power system in a slash?

RC Racer

I like that, too.

RC Racer
    My debit card is smoking after last night. Add in a Hobbywing max8/2650kv Motor for another slash on top of this!

RC Racer
    Discovered these a little too late.... I got the duratrax buggy wheels/tires at $60 and while looking at Typhon parts I found this set consider it a little bit of a help for anyone wanting to get decent buggy tires on the cheap!

RC Qualifier
    You can find duratrax tires under Louise brand, same wheels and tires but cheaper

Nice bodies!

I have also used a JConcepts Illusion RC8e Hi-Flow body for a BackSlash. JConcepts no longer makes this body, but I liked it:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6011863

RC Racer
    Nice bodies!

I have also used a JConcepts Illusion RC8e Hi-Flow body for a BackSlash. JConcepts no longer makes this body, but I liked it:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6011863
    Thatís the one I was looking for to begin with too! I hope the next one fits or Iíll be mad gonna mount the Mugen kinda high up to clear the esc better

RC Racer
    Light at the end of the tunnel! Or just a freight train coming my way.... Love this body a lot more! Iíll go back and loctite the 17mm hubs when the aluminum wheel nuts come in. Iíll prob swap to the Tekno ones that attach straight to the m6 shafts soon though!

Looking good. Can't wait to see what it looks like when finished, including painted body.

RC Racer
    The other set of tires for the road

RC Qualifier
    I love seeing this project progress.
    I do have one question about backslashes in general.
    Do a lot of people race them in 1/8 buggy classes, or do the majority of people build these for bashing ?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    I love seeing this project progress.
    I do have one question about backslashes in general.
    Do a lot of people race them in 1/8 buggy classes, or do the majority of people build these for bashing ?
    Good question, Iím not sure. I just wanted something different to bash around and maybe do some speed runs with. I may put a 1/8 setup in it eventually. Gotta figure out where to put a receiver box. If I move a stampede one up front itís gonna make the front of the body sit tall to straddle it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast