RC Competitor

Replacing Front & Rear Diffs on Mini E-Revo

Hi All,

As the title suggests I'm planning to replace the front and rear diffs on my sons 1/16th Mini E-Revo this weekend. This is quite a daunting task for me as I'm quite a noob to this hobby and I think this will be by far and away the biggest task I've undertaken to date. I'll be aiming to strip the truck right down so I can get into the diffs and replace using part number 7079.

Any tips or hints from the more experienced members here that I should be looking out for? Also any recommendations on the weight of the diff oil I should use. I've got the Traxxas 30k weight (5136) and 50k weight (5137) diff oil. Not knowing really what the difference will make between the two any suggestions? I'm inclined to go the heavier weight oil.

Whilst I'm at it I'm going to replace the front and rear axle carriers with the RPM ones as the stock ones are shot and there is so much play in the wheels right now. This looks like a more straight forward job and is less daunting but any tips or hints appreciated here too.

So all in all quite a big overhaul this weekend. Here's hoping it goes smooth and I can stop my son lusting over my E-Revo 2.0.

Cheers,
    Delirious.

RC Qualifier
    Mark the a arms with back / front, top bottom left right ect. Makes it easier to remember what goes where.

Once I take a screw out. I remove part then put screw a few threads back in. This way I can keep the screws where they belong

Makes it very helpful on full tear downs where you may get multiple length of screws and sizes and not have to remember what went where.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Rear diff done. Took me 4 hours and went with 30k weight Traxxas diff oil in the end. This truck is mighty fiddly. Most of the time spent fiddling trying to get little screws or pieces in place. Bed time now. Will do the front diff later.

Cheers,
    Delirious.

RC Competitor
    So I completed the front diff on Saturday. That went a bit quicker and easier and only took 2 hours. The truck runs lovely and smooth now. As above I used the 30k weight Traxxas diff oil and under initial testing I would say I would probably prefer a lighter weight oil. However, I’m sure with some time and use it will break down a bit and be a bit more freer.

I also fitted the RPM axle carriers on Sunday. Oh why oh why are those hex screws 1.25mm? I couldn’t find a 1.25mm hex wrench anywhere and have about 4 or 5 different sets of hex wrench’s around the house. Smallest I had was 1.5mm, same as supplied in the toolkit with the truck. What a pain for RPM to use a non-standard hex size for the screws. Anyway I ended up using pinch grips to tighten them down and fit them. Was a bit fiddly and time consuming but got the job done if not elegant.

Cheers,
    Delirious.

RC Competitor
    I should just clarify with the diff oil weight. As this is my sons truck and he is only 6 I’m only running NiMH batteries in the truck. The weight of the oil takes some of the initial punch out of the acceleration but it still gets up to speed pretty quickly just not lifting front wheels anymore. I’m sure with a LiPo battery the impact of that weight oil would probably be less notable.

Cheers,
    Delirious.