RC Qualifier

Best affordable batteries for rustler vxl?

Hi guys, I know this is a controversial topic, cause well, I really dig my rustler vxl, but I have had traxxas batteries in the past.

Its just tricky to find top exit 2s or 3s lipos that aren't stupidly overpriced. I read SPC closed, but SMC really doesn't have the selection I wanted... I wanted to get some more 30-40c SMC 4300mah 3s hard case packs but they are no longer on SMC's site...

I know this topic is kicking a dead horse I just can't seem to find what I want battery wise for the old rusty...

Thanks
    -Spence

RC Racer
    I like Lectron Pro. Their customer service is great. I had a bad cell in a NIMH. They said take a picture of it and send it to them. They then called me right back and said go to the shop where I bought it, a new one is waiting for you.
    I also have and HRB battery that hasn't given me any issues. It was cheap issues. It was cheap (34$) for a 3S 3300 mAh 35c.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by OtisWhitestone View Post
    I like Lectron Pro. Their customer service is great. I had a bad cell in a NIMH. They said take a picture of it and send it to them. They then called me right back and said go to the shop where I bought it, a new one is waiting for you.
    I also have and HRB battery that hasn't given me any issues. It was cheap issues. It was cheap (34$) for a 3S 3300 mAh 35c.
    Thanks man

RC Qualifier
    g force are great and cheap

Do you have the stock ESC and motor system..?
    Good driver. Bad setup. Bad things will happen...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MECHANIC77 View Post
    Do you have the stock ESC and motor system..?
    No, I have a hobbywing SC8 and a gool rc 3800kv motor. So the esc is 4s capable This rustler vxl project is going well

RC Racer
    Check out some of the comparison tests from big squid rcís website. I like the GensAce packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer911 View Post
    No, I have a hobbywing SC8 and a gool rc 3800kv motor. So the esc is 4s capable This rustler vxl project is going well

Ok if we look at what ESC and motor you have, we can simply think that with a 5000 mah (25C) 7.4 volts battery, it would be more than enough for your needs, the math talk by itself..! The Gool RC 3800 KV motor can only draw 92 amps from a battery and the hobbywing SC8 ESC is able to pull out 120 amps, what does all that means..? Ok if we convert the battery C rating and the mah in amps, (5000 milliamps = 5 amps and 5 amps x 25C = 125 amps of continuous battery discharge rate capacity) therefore the problem is not that the ESC or motor will be damage by a high C rate battery capacity, in reality the fact is that the motor and ESC convert only what is the minimum amp rate value of one of those two components are able to take but I don't see the advantages of buying a higher C rate battery than the maximum capacity of those components, if we look at the reality in face, we have to admit that the higher C rate battery cost much more and their lifespans are about half as much than the appropriate battery pack, also they are more heavier for nothing, those kind of batteries are intended to be used for speed run or high level racing application and with a conventional motor and ESC it will not give more performance at all, otherwise the weight supplement will be traduce by less handling capacity and acceleration, all that with a little higher motor temp and with less battery autonomy time.

If you plan to get more power and want to squeeze more energy from a battery, my only advice should be to get a higher amp rated motor but if you want the better possible battery quality, then get SMC batteries, which could provide about 250 of life cycles or go for the best and buy some T'urnigy Graphene, which should provide a minimum of 600 cycles life time.
    Last edited by MECHANIC77; 09-09-2019 at 09:45 PM.
    Good driver. Bad setup. Bad things will happen...