RC Qualifier

2.8 trenchers or other pro line wheels on the rustler?

Hi!

Just browsed 10 pages of threads about the rustler 4x4 and itīs not much info about how it would handle the 2.8 tires from proline.

A couple users here said they stripped a spur gear and destroyed rear driveshafts, also one got recommended by the lhs to gear down to 9t pinion.

This truck is just like the stampede 4x4 when it comes to motor, so it should be just fine with stock gearing on 3s i believe.

If I get them i want to try the stock gearing and go up with one or two tooth if itīs possible, want a 50mph setup with 2.8 tires. Traxxas say that stampede 4x4 doing 45mph with 11/54 t on 3s, thart should be enough speed and the trenchers are littlebit bigger..

I wonder how it handles, do it get too much traction and make it flip over too often?

Consider them so the truck can get more traction, imo the stock tires slips too much, and with bigger wheels the truck should be easier to control in the air, doing backflips during jumps and adjust it easier for safer landings..

I had this trenchers for many years ago on my stampede 4x4 but I only had 2s that time, the stampede have shorter wheelbase and I found it little unstable, curious how the lcg chassis and longer wheelbase would handle with this tires, about the temp i wonder what your experience is with 3s and bigger heavier tires

Guessing you will need to upgrade to steel cvd's at least to run those. Even just on 2S with my 4pede, I wouldn't make it through a few packs before blowing a rear axle and that was before 2.8" trenchers. Have had MIP X-Duty's on it for 2 years and running 3S the past 6 months.

The stock motor/esc ran hot even on 2S with those tires though. I've since changed the motor/esc a couple times and am currently running the max10 sct/hobbystar 3665 3100kv with 14/54 gearing on 3S and the 2.8 trenchers.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Qualifier
    Yes im going to upgrade to traxxas or mip cvd next time the stock break.
    Since you talking about heat i would stick to 11 pinion and see maby i could gear down to 10 or 9.

Did you taped the tires or running factory mounted pro line?
    Im trying to find out if they would baloon too mutch, or if it would be ok to get factory mounted wheels.
    Im not going to do speed runs with them, but im hard on trottle and if they baloon too mutch it would be a bad idea..
    2s would be just fine, but how mutch do they baloon on 3s with 11 pinion you think?
    Last edited by Ray87; 09-06-2019 at 02:25 PM.

I run a center diff as it was tough for me to drive the higher CG stampede with 3S. So I'm running an alloy diff cup/250k in the center which helps calm wheelies down a bit and also removes messing with the slipper a lot.

That said, they don't balloon too bad unless I'm up on 2 side wheels and the wheels in the air diff out. They balloon enough to give quite a bit of air control, but not so much that I'm blowing tires off wheels or blowing the tires apart.

You can check out my footage here from the last time I ran it to see how they react:

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the video!
    It seems like a solid basher setup you got there, Nice stampede.

This trenchers that is factory glued dosnt seems bad at all on 3s. I expected it to be more balooning since many tape them.
    Making it good to control in the air!
    So i think we have make up our mind here about the trenchers. It would make the truck mutch more fun to drive.
    I hope it going to be just as easy in the air with a 11 pinion also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray87 View Post
    Thanks for the video!
    It seems like a solid basher setup you got there, Nice stampede.

This trenchers that is factory glued dosnt seems bad at all on 3s. I expected it to be more balooning since many tape them.
    Making it good to control in the air!
    So i think we have make up our mind here about the trenchers. It would make the truck mutch more fun to drive.
    I hope it going to be just as easy in the air with a 11 pinion also.
    I ran trenchers with 2S 13/54 as well, 3800kv motor. Topped out around 40mph which was a bit slower. Still had decent control in the air. The 2.8" traxxas chevrons didn't give me much though.
    This is 2S with trenchers:

RC Qualifier
    Love your paint job on the body!

Kinda miss my stampede now after watching your great video. But i would guess the rustler is going to be just as fun with bigger tires.
    2s is enough but the extra crazyness the 3s brings you make it worth it :-)