RC Qualifier

Yet another Merv diff thread

Well, I heard the first signs of clicking on my new(ish) to me Merv tonight. I still finished the 2s pack I was driving on ( driving conservatively, but if I Gave it anything harder than an easy roll on from a stop or low speed I heard a ratcheting click noise.the sad thing is I just had the cases split to replace the diff case bulkheads since one of the screw holes that holds the rear tie rods was stripped out. While I was in there I cleaned and applied a light coat of grease and inspect everything. All the mesh looked done at the time and I would
    Have considered shimming it while I had it apart if I had the shims in hand at the time .
    So right now the truck is driving, but I know the diff is “going” but not dead yet.
    I already have a serviceable outer ring gear in the spare parts from the prod opus owner.
    Now, when I dive in and fix up the diff, do I just rebuild it with a new gear and old internals, or upgrade to the Hot Racing diff? ( I have heard good things about this setup.
    Also, while I’m ordering the shims, does anyone know offhand what size or part number shims to use on the Axels to “corner shim”the car? My rear wheels have some wobble that shimming the Axels will take care of

RC Qualifier
    Def shim the diffs. I don't remember the part # off hand. Comes in a pack of like 10. Only use as many as needed I think I used 2 or 3 for each diff YouTube vids out there on what to do.

I would just replace what's is needed. Also check the bearings, replace or clean n repack as needed.

The play may be front the axel carriers. Rpm ones are the way to go. Since you can't adjust the pillow ball play on the stocks, to get the sloop out.

I put 30k oil in. As what I had on hand. I definitely recommend servicing both diffs. I serviced front only once and I could definitely tell that the front grabbed more than the rear. Kinda screwed with the handling some.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Def shim the diffs. I don't remember the part # off hand. Comes in a pack of like 10. Only use as many as needed I think I used 2 or 3 for each diff YouTube vids out there on what to do.

I would just replace what's is needed. Also check the bearings, replace or clean n repack as needed.

The play may be front the axel carriers. Rpm ones are the way to go. Since you can't adjust the pillow ball play on the stocks, to get the sloop out.

I put 30k oil in. As what I had on hand. I definitely recommend servicing both diffs. I serviced front only once and I could definitely tell that the front grabbed more than the rear. Kinda screwed with the handling some.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    There was another thread elsewhere that had the part numbers for the Shims. I will get some ordered for sure. Bearings all looked good when I had the rear vases apart, so I’m pretty sure I can eliminate that from the equation. Other than this one weak spot, the Merv has been a great and fun little truck.

These are the shims you want.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    These are the shims you want.

I had JUST gotten an order from A Main of some parts for my T maxx and didn’t feel like placing yet another order for $1.99 shims when they are the only thing I needed. The great news is. I am traveling and visiting family in a much bigger Wisconsin city than my little North Dakota prairie hovel. I stopped in a hobby town location and they had them in stock in store , so when I get home I some diffs to shim. ( I may or may not have also found a J Concepts illusion body for the Merv, too. Now to come up with a paint scheme for the new body.
    Last edited by Dakratfink; 09-11-2019 at 02:34 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Little update,
    When I got back home, I opened up did cases and shimmed the rear. 2 shims in the back. Didn’t crack open or rebuild the diff because the ring and pinion were in good agape upon inspection, and I like the way it operated, plus I didn’t have any fluid on hand to refill it.
    Either way, it performs great now and no more clicking.