RC Competitor

Gearing... Again.

Alright guys so gearing gives me headaches. I want high top end speed but still enough low end to bash fairly decent. I'm thinking about switching to 48p but, should I go 12/62? Is this the ballpark I want to be in? I know a lot of guys say well test it out and see trial and error type thing. Which I've tried a little moving the pinion up and down but I've stayed with the same spur gear.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Is your slash brushed or brushless?. If it is brushless I would go with a 54 metal spur gear from Robson racing, with a 14 tooth hardened steel pinion. I find that gearing to be the best for bashing cause lots of acceleration and top speed. (be careful about temps when you re gear your truck) if you are brushed, I highly recommend you go to brushless and with cooling fans better for bashing.

(saying brushed cause u said maybe switching to 48p the brushless modes use 32p)

604Slash4x4]
    GoneBashing

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 604Slash4x4 View Post
    Is your slash brushed or brushless?. If it is brushless I would go with a 54 metal spur gear from Robson racing, with a 14 tooth hardened steel pinion. I find that gearing to be the best for bashing cause lots of acceleration and top speed. (be careful about temps when you re gear your truck) if you are brushed, I highly recommend you go to brushless and with cooling fans better for bashing.

(saying brushed cause u said maybe switching to 48p the brushless modes use 32p)

604Slash4x4]
    GoneBashing
    Actually I have the hobbywing max 10 esc with the 4600kv motor

RC Qualifier
    If you are using 3s battery, with such high Kv motor, I would start with biggest spur and smallest pinion gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBasher01 View Post
    Actually I have the hobbywing max 10 esc with the 4600kv motor

It would help to know what “top speed” you’re looking to achieve. The 14/54 combo suggested is good for about 30mph on 2s and closer to 50mph on 3s (theoretical).

To keep temps down, you may need to consider a lower KV motor.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by gusd2 View Post
    It would help to know what “top speed” you’re looking to achieve. The 14/54 combo suggested is good for about 30mph on 2s and closer to 50mph on 3s (theoretical).

To keep temps down, you may need to consider a lower KV motor.
    Everyone's recommend that I get a lower kv motor but the truck doesn't need that much torque as it is the truck does wheelies I need to find a gearing ratio that can move the truck faster I was thinking going up in size on the spur gear.

I'm running 12/54 mo.8 right now. Yes the truck is fast but you can never be too fast. I'm thinking 12/62 would push me where I'd like.

Wouldn't 12/62 be lower top speed and higher torque?
    Speed needs a larger pinion and a smaller spur...
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Should I bring it to 19/62?

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    You are correct. Needs to go smaller on the spur or bigger on the pinion.

Should I bring it to 19/62?

Don't want to go to big of a change; assuming you have VXL diffs: 14.725 final gear ratio going down to 9.30. You'll kill down low power and heat up the ESC.

Play around with the ratio: (spur gear/pinion) x 2.85 = final gear ratio.
    Last edited by Double G; 09-09-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    You are correct. Needs to go smaller on the spur or bigger on the pinion.

Don't want to go to big of a change; assuming you have VXL diffs: 14.725 final gear ratio going down to 9.30. You'll kill down low power and heat up the ESC.

Play around with the ratio: (spur gear/pinion) x 2.85 = final gear ratio.
    Yes I have the vxl diffs and the stock driveshafts maybe I'm just lucky but I beat my truck and I've never broke a driveshaft yet. But in theory it's a vxl slash with a hobbywing heart

RC Qualifier
    Everyone's recommend that I get a lower kv motor but the truck doesn't need that much torque as it is the truck does wheelies I need to find a gearing ratio that can move the truck faster I was thinking going up in size on the spur gear.

I'm running 12/54 mo.8 right now. Yes the truck is fast but you can never be too fast. I'm thinking 12/62 would push me where I'd like.

Actually I recommended smaller pinion to avoid heat problems. What battery do you use in your Slash?
    I have same setup with 3200kv HW motor and it is really fast on 3s. Gearing is 16/54.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk