RC poster

Dual steering servo vs one?

I just had one of my steering servos go out, just looking for some feedback on two vs one. Pros-cons necessary parts for single, if beneficial to go that rout. Also I know very little about servos, I just know that the stock throttle servo is so slow even with full charge. I would like to upgrade steering and throttle/brake servos. Any and all input is helpful. Thanks.

Single but stronger. Duals can fight each other sapping power even at idle. Duals draw more power from the battery as well. Find a single servo (standard size) that will have at least 250 oz/in of power and consider buying a glitch buster to handle those times when the servo draws a lot of power. I have a Promodeler servo and Spektrum glitch buster on my Revo. You can remove the links for the second servo and use a stock plate to cover the hole or make your own. You could move the current steering servo to throttle.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Find a single servo (standard size) that will have at least 250 oz/in of power...You could move the current steering servo to throttle.
    That's good advice.

Each stock steering servo is 125oz.(2x125oz=250oz) Moving current steering servo to throttle brake would be a good move. IMO the stock brake,throttle servo is too weak and putting a better one in helps with the brakes and throttle response.

RC poster
    Thank you for the info! I was about to spend twice as much on a servo that was a little slower and less torque. So the promodeler standard 360 would be an adequate servo? What is a (cyclic) servo? I see this and descriptions sometimes.

RC Qualifier
    Straight from google.

The word 'cyclic' basically translates to pitch and roll control for the helicopter. Its just what the servo manufacturer may intend the servo for. You may also see some heli servos described as tail servos (still could be a standard size servo) but is a servo that has a priority on speed rather than torque.

That Promodeler is what I run in my Revo and love it. You won't be disappointed in the quality of the servo. The speed is slightly slower than the stock 2070/2075 but has plenty of power to turn the tires. I also got a $5 glitch buster just in case though these servos don't pull as much power (about half as much in all aspects) than a comparable but more expensive and oft-recommended Savox and I haven't had any issues with brown-outs.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    What would be a good oz/torque for the throttle break? I would think speed would be the important part, i was looking at the promodeler 180oz. what are some recommendations for throttle/break?

You have to keep in mind that Promodeler's specs shown on the thumbnails are at 8.4v. Unless you run a lipo battery with a receiver bypass or a different radio system you won't get those voltages through a stock receiver and have it live for long. Look at the 6.0v ratings as this is what a standard nimh 5-cell pack will put out. The DS180 has the same speed at 8.4v as the stock Traxxas 2070/2075 at 6.0v.

If you have a small budget and want to spend on something, a fast servo such as the DS140 may fit the bill. But again, if you had a 2070 or 2075 as a steering servo then you can save ~$50 and move it to the throttle. It is fast enough and even a little more after I modified the throttle linkage so that the servo doesn't have to push against the throttle return spring to open the carb.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Will the stock receiver not run on higher than 6v? I was looking at a 7.4 receiver battery pack, so would that damage my receiver?

RC Qualifier
    I wouldn’t advise using a 7.4v hump pack on the receiver. They don’t like much over 6v before they will fry. You could try making an RX bypass harness and using the 7.4v hump pack to just power the servo and bypass the receiver. This way you can still get 7.4v to the servo, but not damage the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Orionjb88 View Post
    Will the stock receiver not run on higher than 6v? I was looking at a 7.4 receiver battery pack, so would that damage my receiver?
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Unless you run a lipo battery with a receiver bypass or a different radio system you won't get those voltages through a stock receiver and have it live for long.
    Guess I wasn't clear enough.
    The Super Derecho

I've been running one of these in my ERBEv2 for a while:
    https://www.rcjuice.com/servos/servo...aterproof.html

It does great for a $20 servo, but running 3.8" trenchers, would likely be better if I ran one of these:
    https://www.rcjuice.com/servos/servo...tal-servo.html

I just put one of these in my outcast and it's doing really well too with trencher 3.8's:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RNFQYD2

On my 21TM revo, I run a savox SW0231MG. Had to use a cap on the receiver as it was causing brown outs. On my BB revo, I run an old hitec 985MG. Both trucks run smaller/lighter tires so they do ok.

I use the hitec 985Mg on both for throttle/brake. It's only 172oz, but it's pretty quick and has lasted many years. Also, the case is sealed and there's an o-ring on the output shaft, so it stays dry inside. I run one in my stampede 4x4 as well, which is totally overkill in it, but it has seen a lot of wet running.

I think for now, I'll stick with the cheaper servos because they perform well. Jury is out on their life though. The hitec 985MG is the longest lasting servos I own. The 2 in my big block revo are 10+ years old that still work fine.
    Expert rigging at it's best!