Thread: Chassis Color

RC Racer

Chassis Color

I'm just curious what colors have you guys colored(dyed) your chassis? I know black is fairly simple to do but was wanting to try some thing different. Looking at dyeing chassis green to match my RPM A Arms. Any experiences and best way to get best results?

You have to remember that, whatever color dye you use, it's going to be "darkened" by the stock color of the chassis pan. If you're expecting to end up with a bright(ish) medium green, think again...it's probably going to be a dark green, and anything but "bright". On a whim...call it a "test", of sorts...I took some yellow TLR buggy wheels, and used a bright "medium blue" (lighter than "Royal", darker than "sky"). They ended up a medium-to-dark green.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Traxxas Marshal
    I've had to delete several posts in this thread. Let's try to keep things civil and not resort to name calling and/or commenting on peoples' intelligence. I will not be so nice next time if the discussion continues down the path it was on--warning points will be issued.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    Mine was black rit dye, but it turned out dark blue. Also did shock bodies

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Once you go black you never go back

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Stl View Post
    Mine was black rit dye, but it turned out dark blue. Also did shock bodies

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    How long did you have to soak the parts? I wonder if I leave it over night, if that will make the chassis darker and if that will do anything to chassis's stiffness for being soaked that long?

Quote Originally Posted by TLXtreme View Post
    How long did you have to soak the parts? I wonder if I leave it over night, if that will make the chassis darker and if that will do anything to chassis's stiffness for being soaked that long?
    Overnight is WAY, WAY, WAY overkill. I had my chassis in the dye for approx 20min, and the chassis came out perfect.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Second warning to USMC1984 and zedorda: Play nice or play elsewhere.
    I also suggest we keep recommendations to more more attainable solutions, really answer the question, and not use threads to try to prove how smart, funny, experienced, or handsome we ourselves are.
    Thanks for your consideration.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Use ONLY LIQUID rit dye
    the powder leaves it dark navy blue i my experience
    boil enough water to submerge the chassis and then add the 8oz bottle and let cool
    if you are eager you can take it out in about 30 min i like to leave it longer so the dye soaks in more

First, I she in using the liquid, and NOT the powder. Second, shouldn't have to use the entire bottle. I used half the bottle, at most. Plus, als long as you have the water temp in the right range, and can fully submerge the chassis, 30 minutes should be plenty.

Never tried the liquid. I've done 2 chassis's using the black powder, and they came out fine. I let mine sit in hot water with enough heat to see the surface of the water move just slightly. I left them in about 30 minutes. Looked at it after 15, and was a purplish/blue color, so I left it in for another 15 minutes.

Next time I will try the liquid as was suggested and see if it will cut down on the dwell time.

And one day, I would also like to try other colors as well. As stated above, I suspect some colors work better than others due to the base color as Panther pointed out. Hope yours turns out like you want it. Post some pics after you finish it.
    Last edited by NitroBugg; 09-28-2019 at 12:54 AM.

RC Racer
    Thanks for all the tips! Will post pics of completed project.

RC Enthusiast
    What's the process for this?

Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein