RC poster

NEU 1110/1y vs Castle motors?

Hey everyone, I am new to this hobby and looking for the highest quality and longest lasting motors to upgrade my stock brushless vxl 380 vileneon motor.

How does the (black) handmade NEU 1110/1y compare against the Castle Creations 4600kv or 5700kv motor?

This will be paired with a Mamba X ESC. Unless you can recommend something better.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by iKO View Post
    Hey everyone, I am new to this hobby and looking for the highest quality and longest lasting motors to upgrade my stock brushless vxl 380 vileneon motor.

How does the (black) handmade NEU 1110/1y compare against the Castle Creations 4600kv or 5700kv motor?

This will be paired with a Mamba X ESC. Unless you can recommend something better.
    I don’t have much experience with upgrading the drive train in the 1/16th. I have the stock velineon motor with a Losi ESC in my mini revo and I love it. The stock 380 in the vxl system is pretty decent, quick and reliable.
    That said I have hear a lot of good about Castle systems

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    I don’t have much experience with upgrading the drive train in the 1/16th. I have the stock velineon motor with a Losi ESC in my mini revo and I love it. The stock 380 in the vxl system is pretty decent, quick and reliable.
    That said I have hear a lot of good about Castle systems
    The only problem with the stock 380 is that it gets very hot, especially while using Lipo batteries. And I wanted to run a single 3s battery for good speed and torque. I have been reading a lot on the forums but these are posts from years ago regarding motor comparisons.

I was hoping somebody could chime in and inform me of what is the current "best of the best" setup scenario in terms of a motor/ESC combo to date. Technology always gets better over time and from reading old posts it seems like the Castle motors or NEU motors were king.

I have the "big block" version of the MERV so it has the brushed 550 motor same as the Slash/Stampede line. With all the extra 12T Titan motors I have that only cost about $12 each I will likely never spend as much as one brushless setup in it's entire lifespan. It can do all the wheelies/stoppies and insane jumps but without blowing out rear diffs or the need of shims ever. I can't understand the want for brushless in the MERV. The only upgrade to the electronics I have done was swapping the stock XL-2.5 for the XL-5 from the heavier 1/10th scale line. Again which I have a surplus from all the brushless systems I have in my larger Traxxas vehicles.

Oh yeah forget I did buy a new servo when the stock one broke a gear.

I think each time I started planning upgrades for my MERV. I ended up seeing the cost and just bought a larger 1/10th RC since what I was trying to do was upgrade to 1/10th performance anyway.
    Last edited by zedorda; 09-15-2019 at 03:12 PM.

With that said if you are still dead set on going brushless. I highly suggest doing the "big block" upgrade so you can run a Castle 1406 motor.

What I would suggest.
    http://www.castlecreations.com/en/si...or-010-0164-01

The Mamba X is way more than you should need but here is that version.

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ma...bo-010-0155-01

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    With that said if you are still dead set on going brushless. I highly suggest doing the "big block" upgrade so you can run a Castle 1406 motor.

What I would suggest.
    http://www.castlecreations.com/en/si...or-010-0164-01

The Mamba X is way more than you should need but here is that version.

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ma...bo-010-0155-01
    Could I not use a NEU 1110/1.5d and Mamba x with a 4s battery? Obviously I would need to upgrade all of the suspension.

Otherwise I just save up and instead of upgrading my 1/16 E Revo I get the 2.0 Revo

RC poster
    With that much power you may need to shim your differentials and go with steel driveshafts or be really easy on the trigger. I run a Velineon 3500 with Mamba X and ended up doing it all.

Could I not use a NEU 1110/1.5d and Mamba x with a 4s battery? Obviously I would need to upgrade all of the suspension.

Otherwise I just save up and instead of upgrading my 1/16 E Revo I get the 2.0 Revo
    All I could find about the NEU 1110/1.5 is it is for aircraft which are very light weight so I can't see it being usable in a surface RC without burning up. This is an assumption but based on what I have learned about RC motors says there is a reason there is a distinction between the 2 but I have never tried it.

All I could find about the NEU 1110/1.5 is it is for aircraft which are very light weight so I can't see it being usable in a surface RC without burning up. This is an assumption but based on what I have learned about RC motors says there is a reason there is a distinction between the 2 but I have never tried it.

I did find this thread about that motor in a MERV.
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...110-1y-problem
    I believe this is an example of the motor burning up over a short lifespan of not even heavier duty use.

EDIT: Not sure why it double posted when i added the link, sorry.
    Last edited by zedorda; 09-18-2019 at 01:14 PM.