Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Lights for the X-Maxx?

I can't find anything on Traxxas I know there is a ton of after market type stuff for bodies and such. Has anyone thought about setting up lights on it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC Qualifier
    Good catch that looks like you can wire a 9 volt in or just tie it into your main electrical. I actually did some hobby boxes form Radio shack with an on/off switch for the light bars on the Summits. I will probably do the same with something like that.

RC Qualifier
    Those lights look great. I had just been wondering about a doubled up summit light bar protected by the bumper somehow. But those look great for the price.
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol

I've thought about lights for my soon to be X-MAXX also, leaning more towards a light bar rather then installing into the body. Similar to summit bumper lights.

RC Qualifier
    I going to do 2 5B-5T buckets on front with blue leds in the hood scoops and of coarse a couple red in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    I've thought about lights for my soon to be X-MAXX also, leaning more towards a light bar rather then installing into the body. Similar to summit bumper lights.
    Heavy truck!! Going to get damaged pretty quick. Plus a light bar may not let the truck flip back by itself.
    Last edited by Double G; 11-29-2015 at 12:13 PM. Reason: merge

Quote Originally Posted by rippinex View Post
    Heavy truck!! Going to get damaged pretty quick. Plus a light bar may not let the truck flip back by itself.

Good point, but a light bar interested into he bumper would be the idea, if possible, similar to summit. Not on the roof.

RC Qualifier
    When you take a closer look at the front it looks like Traxxas already has a spot for lights to go. If they do not sell something I am sure something can be mounted here.

The big dark holes - one left and right you mean? Big enough for an LED in each?

They could be planning ahead for a kit?
    Fingers crossed.

RC Qualifier
    Would be nice if those were the mounting holes for a factory light bar.

RC Qualifier
    The holes have screws in them but you see the big open area I could see a light bar mounting in that area similar to how the Stampede light bar works. Behind that open area is some plastic lips they have no reason to be there so I assume they are to mount a light bar on. Probably as it stands now with a little fabrication you could mount the Stampede light bar in there or maybe even the Summit top light bar in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phanes View Post
    The holes have screws in them but you see the big open area I could see a light bar mounting in that area similar to how the Stampede light bar works. Behind that open area is some plastic lips they have no reason to be there so I assume they are to mount a light bar on. Probably as it stands now with a little fabrication you could mount the Stampede light bar in there or maybe even the Summit top light bar in it.

A kit for the X-MAXX would be awesome, or maybe two of the Stampede ones can be mounted on X-MAXX front bumper?

Stampede light kit below:

A kit for the X-MAXX would be awesome, or maybe two of the Stampede ones can be mounted on X-MAXX front bumper?

Stampede light kit below:
    I plan on trying exactly this, I haven't measured or checked anything out yet, but looking at it it looks like it could work... I let you guys know as I find out.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Competitor
    I think this would look good mounted in that void on the bumper.

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...w#.Vl3YaXarRaQ

Got a light bar mounted and working on my X-Maxx! I used a Vanquish LED light bar, which mounted PERFECTLY into the stock bumper opening! I even used the factory screw holes to mount it. This is the one I used... *LINK HERE*

I'm getting power from the lipo balance cable, using either the 2s or 3s end plug.

It's CRAZY bright!

RC Competitor
    That's awesome! Looks like it was meant to be there. Not sure if I want lights enough to spend $50 on it though, but definitely something to think about

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Got a light bar mounted and working on my X-Maxx! I used a Vanquish LED light bar, which mounted PERFECTLY into the stock bumper opening! I even used the factory screw holes to mount it. This is the one I used... *LINK HERE*

I'm getting power from the lipo balance cable, using either the 2s or 3s end plug.

It's CRAZY bright!

Wow, great fit, looks fantastic and bright. Only question, can it be powered by plugging into receiver, does this light come with a receiver end plug? I.e. Plug n play?

RC Qualifier
    It says that it operates on 11.1 volts so this looks like it needs to run right off the battery. you could plug it into the receiver but I think they would be dim I am not 100% sure about how lower voltages works with LEDs.

Basically if you look at how Wolf has them mounted it looks like Traxxas designed that bumper to mount lights there. The screw holes he has the lights in are there and nothing is screwed into them. My guess is Traxxas has lights and wheelie bars etc already in the works they are probably just waiting till after the release to list their accessories.
    Last edited by Double G; 12-02-2015 at 08:45 AM. Reason: merge

Looks good wolf! So I guess you can draw power for leds off of the balancer port off of a lipo?

Quote Originally Posted by Phanes View Post
    It says that it operates on 11.1 volts so this looks like it needs to run right off the battery. you could plug it into the receiver but I think they would be dim I am not 100% sure about how lower voltages works with LEDs.

Basically if you look at how Wolf has them mounted it looks like Traxxas designed that bumper to mount lights there. The screw holes he has the lights in are there and nothing is screwed into them. My guess is Traxxas has lights and wheelie bars etc already in the works they are probably just waiting till after the release to list their accessories.
    I hope that is the case. Traxxas can write me down for a plug-n-play light kit

Quote Originally Posted by mdschmidt90 View Post
    Looks good wolf! So I guess you can draw power for leds off of the balancer port off of a lipo?
    Thanks! Yep, you can safely draw power from a lipo balance plug to power lights. As long as they don't draw a ton of power, or you try power a lot of lights, you should be fine.

Thanks for the reply! I really wanted to make my own but that vanquish light bar looks so good I almost can't resist buying one! So what you're saying is if I wanted to run head lights and tail lights as well then I should still be ok?

RC Enthusiast
    Here is what I have been working on for my X-maxx using the axial light bucket kit and leds. Its not finished yet but just to show how it looks so far still have to put the tailights in and finish up all the wiring. I wanted to keep the holes in the bumper as open as possible as they let air flow through to cool all the electronics.

Nice job rwc2002
    -Blue X-maxx
    -E-Maxx 60.2mph
    -Spartan 48.2mph

RC Enthusiast

My LED Light Layout

I am going to install this LED light bar system suggested by Wolfslash16 on my blue XMaxx whenever it arrives. I was in contact with him the second he posted his photos of this light on his XMaxx a few days ago. Based on an earlier thread in this forum you can put two - 3s 5000 mAh batteries in one battery compartment for the XMaxx. Someone posted a photo of it. So this still leaves you two dedicated batteries for your system drive and one battery dedicated for this particular LED bar!

If you look long enough on the site suggested you can get a black anodized body version of the 3 inch LED bar. And if you look at the OEM of the light they offer colored shields for their LED lights (not for the one suggested). I bought one and have modified it Dremel tool and glued on front of the LED bar. It still has enough room to fit the square bumper slot in the front bumper. Since my truck is blue, I bought a blue shield cover shield.

I will install LED lights for the front & rear of the body with LED lights and an set of under body lights to reflect inside the body back down to the ground. I will be using blue lights for lo/hi beam, blue fog lights and amber for the turn signal lights on front and two red LED and one amber LED for the rear lights. On this truck I decided to forgo the blinking and flashing lights when turning and braking. It adds too many wires for my tastes but they do work because I put them on Slash 4x4. This particular group of lights will be wired to a JST plug for the body to frame connection and then to a JR plug to Channel 3 on the TQi for power needs.

I figured, since there are no parts available to modify and strengthen suspension pieces and shocks, I might as well work on lights! If I knew how to post photos, I have a layout plan in a jpeg for the front of the XMaxx.
    Last edited by MeLikeBash; 12-23-2015 at 05:42 AM.

RC Competitor
    Can't you just buy a light kit like the ones you can buy for the Tamiya Highlift series? They use power from the receiver
    Coffee is king!
    YouTube - RC Tanks & Trucks 24/7

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
    Can't you just buy a light kit like the ones you can buy for the Tamiya Highlift series? They use power from the receiver
    Yes that's how mine is the light kit pulls off the receiver, leds pull so little power compared to what the truck does it is not really going to effect battery life. Unless you have like 100 lights or something ridiculous.

I used the stock front and rear Summit LED's on my X-Maxx yesterday. I had to drill holes in the bumpers, but other than that it was a direct fit. Now I have rear red LED's and more front LED's. I'll get more details and pictures up hopefully soon.

RC Enthusiast
    I ended up changing out my front lights to the bigger round lights that came in the axial kit, They were harder to mount like I wanted buy I like them better than the first set I had mounted up. I still have to do the back leds and I am going to use a waterproof receiver box off a rustler or stampede to put the led controller in to keep things waterproof. The wiring is all wire tied up now but I took the pics first so you can see the wires in the pics. Took for a bash around the yard and the lights held up well to a few flips in the mud lol.

This is my setup I created out the stock Summit LED lights. I had to drill hole into the front and rear bumper to make the LED's work. Turns out a 3/16 drill bit is the exact size of the LED's. I used parts TRA5687, TRA5688, TRA5689 and TRA5696. Everything dropped right in, minus needing to drill the holes. I have them plugged into the receiver through the receiver box, so it's 100% waterproof, and the LED's don't care if I'm running 4s or 6s, it doesn't affect their brightness.

The rear ones on the left side look off, because well they are off. When I was drilling the inner one it slipped and messed up the hole, so I filled it in with hot glue to fill the space. Yes, it looks off, so I have new rear bumper coming next week to I do do it right.

I used hot glue to hold down the wires. The LED's are pressed into the bumper, so they won't come out even with the no hot glue there.

You can see how I ran the wires in this picture.

Wolf - definitely the coolest X-MAXX Light Setup ever! Now, if that was plug-n-play i'd have a kit ordered already! Haha.

Nice work!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yea that's a nice job you did there wolf. I'm thinking about ordering that light bar in on the front bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    Yea that's a nice job you did there wolf. I'm thinking about ordering that light bar in on the front bumper.
    That light bar is nice. Idont like the idea of having to plug it in every run, would rather plugged into reciever all the time.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That light bar is nice. Idont like the idea of having to plug it in every run, would rather plugged into reciever all the time.
    True but the no-hassle installation and perfect fitment in the bumper is what I'm sold on.

@wolfslash I sent you a pm

RC poster
    Looks great.

Can't wait to see what it looks like in a dark room.
    I thought those rear lights had 6 LED's, looks like there are only 4 lighting up or is it just me?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by twigz View Post
    Looks great.

I thought those rear lights had 6 LED's, looks like there are only 4 lighting up or is it just me?
    There are 6 he has 2 glued up inside the rear bumper, there is not much usable room in that big back bumper lol, or at least thats what im running into with mounting my light buckets in mine.

RC Racer
    I've ordered the same light bar but in the anodized black. I will look into your other lights as you have a killer setup!
    XMaxx/EMaxx/ERevo/Summit/Slash 4x4/Revo 3.3/Bandit

Thanks guys!

I can take pictures of them in dark tonight, and I'll post them tomorrow. Yes, there is 3 on each side, but there was no room to mount them. I stuck them inside the bumper, so when the shell is on it lights up the inside of the bumper and the rear of the body, it gives it a cool look IMO.

I've ordered the same light bar but in the anodized black. I will look into your other lights as you have a killer setup!
    Lucky! I wish mine was the black one, but when I did mine we only had the silver one, the black one was out of stock and back ordered!

BTW, I can't believe no one noticed the TiNi shock shafts! I thought you guys would jump on that!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-24-2015 at 11:54 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tphjill View Post
    where can I find this same light bar in black? link?

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    where can I find this same light bar in black? link?
    http://www.vanquishproducts.com/rigi...lack-anodized/

Here you go! Merry Christmas!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast