RC Racer

Experiences for 24/46 gearing on 8S (VXL-8S)?

Hi guys,

Been running the X-Maxx 8S since it came out, on the stock VXL-8S ESC and 1200XL motor, on 8S.
    From the start I moved up to 22/46 gearing and like it that way - top speed wise.
    The stock VXL-8S and motor have been doing great. No issues, zero-to-none heat problems, and great performance in a 50/50 onroad/offroad mix (knock on wood).

Since you want more after a while, I am looking into increasing top speed a little by going up to 24/46 gearing.

I am looking for people running the stock VXL-8S + 1200XL (I know there are HW MAX5/6 users out there, but not relevant here) and that gearing.
    How does it work for you? Heat issues? Still good for offroad and grass, despite the fact it's tall gearing?

Thanks!
    B/R JEREMY.

RCblog.nl Summit●ERevo2●X-MAXX●MAXX

RC Racer
    Ive never had issues with the 8s esc. I never understood why other upgraded. Ive had and been around over 10 different 8s xmaxxs and never once heard a complaint. Plenty of power on 6s. Extreme on 8s. Huge jumps water runs ect. No complaints. I jump on here and everone wants a hobbywing esc. I would never trade traxxas for hobbywing. Traxxas for tekin sure. Traxxas for castle, losi, AE sure. To each thier own. I would swear by 8s and proper battery use

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    All agreed.
    But.. are you running 24/46 gearing?
    B/R JEREMY.

RC Competitor
    That is outside the sweet spot for almost every one. The motor and esc won’t like it at all!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubin View Post
    That is outside the sweet spot for almost every one. The motor and esc won’t like it at all!
    So, what is YOUR gearing sweet spot on 8S then?
    B/R JEREMY.

RC Enthusiast
    With my experience and about 5 other people I know...

The stock esc sucks and wont last. Hobbywing max6 for the win. Me and 2 of my buddies had to replace the esc on day 1 or 2 of first use!

As for gearing, anything over 20/46 and you run the risk of thermal shutdown. I was running speed runs on the road with 22/46 and truck went into thermal shutdown or at best was just too hot for motor longevity. Running temps higher than recommended will destroy the magnets in the motor and motor power.

I also had plenty of aluminum parts and badlands and extra cooling fans upgraded on my xmaxx. These upgrades added weight so maybe a stock truck will have no problem with 22/46 or higher but I would think on a stock truck 22/46 is pushing its limits.

Imo 20/46 is the sweet spot maybe 21/46

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk