RC poster

Best RC truck for fun and mods......

I have a pretty much stock E-Maxx and just traded some old stuff for a used TRX4 pretty stock and also have a older rustler with a Castle creation 4700KV sidewinder kit in it i had lying around. Looking to get to One vehicle. I have been out of RC for a while but not sure where i land on what to keep or sell and buy? Looking for suggestions on if i should upgrade or mod what i have or buy something new like Xmaxx?
    I want something with cool truck body options, will be relevant for awhile decent spent and can handle offroad well. any suggestions.......

I have no experience with the E-Maxx, but I do have the X-Maxx, Rustler 4x4 VXL and The TRX-4 Defender.

The X-Maxx is very limited in available bodies compared to the other two.

The Rustler is a good size to fit many more 3rd party bodies. The vehicle that can fit the most hard and soft bodies is the TRX, but it's a crawler and not very fast...it could be made fast, but with it's higher CG it won't perform like the Rustler or Maxx.

BTW, is the Rustler a 2wd or 4X4?

RC poster
    Its a 2wd way before the 4wd came out.

Quote Originally Posted by harley75 View Post
    Its a 2wd way before the 4wd came out.
    Ah...well, do you want to have lots of bodies and climb slow or go fast?

RC poster
    Thats my problem, Not sure what i want. Not really interested in climbing slow but like the looks of the realistic bodies and scale look tho.

Thats my problem, Not sure what i want. Not really interested in climbing slow but like the looks of the realistic bodies and scale look tho.
    Keep them all and buy one of the following:

1. Rustler 4x4 vxl
    2. Erevo VXL
    3. X-Maxx

I listed them in my favorite order but also considering your want of body variety.

I'd say that the TRX will fit the most bodies with the Rustler coming in second, but with modifications needed, especially with the new latching system. You'll most likely have to change to posts, velcro or some other fastening system.

FWIW, the X-Maxx bodies are $100 unpainted and there aren't many out there as far as variety goes.

I've never run my TRX mostly because I am pretty much interested in detailing it out versus climbing. I have a Summit for climb/bashing.

RC poster
    Wow, Is there a RC you dont have? ever owned a 1/16 scale. actually i have thought about a Rustler 4X4, or Slash 4x4 maybe even a Summit.

Wow, Is there a RC you dont have? ever owned a 1/16 scale. actually i have thought about a Rustler 4X4, or Slash 4x4 maybe even a Summit.
    No...yes! I have the 1/16th E-Revo and Summit as well as their 1/10th scale counterparts.

My favorite runner is the Rustler 4X4 VXL.

RC poster
    Well did what you said meeting a guy later today or tommorow to get a rustler 4x4 VXL

Well did what you said meeting a guy later today or tommorow to get a rustler 4x4 VXL
    New or used?

I've seen new/used Rustlers on CL for more than Hobbytown sells them for!

I got my first one for $379, the second for $359 and the third for $379...all new at Hobbytowns.

I've been collecting up clear bodies too...now I just have to figure out which one fits which car/truck.

I've been finding out of production stuff like the Road Warrior car and what not.

Last edited by USMC1984; 09-16-2019 at 05:18 PM.

RC poster
    I picked it up yesterday for $300 with a 5300 Lip0 3s, with box its like new and wow is it fast.....

RC poster
    Off Facebook marketplace, He also had a Slash he said he has been trying to sell he has like $600 into but cannot get rid of for $300. castle creation motor and all kinds of aluminum parts and batteries.

I don't think I'd pay that close to new for used, but if you're happy about it that's all that matters.

Same goes for customs...the chances that a particular buyer will value the exact mods the seller has done is slim. If they do then that's a lucky matchup for both.

Same goes for real cars...especially performance cars. Dealers will offer less the more a car is modified compared to stock. There's also the stigma that mods equalled hard life so far as well...which has plenty of logic behind that bias.

I'm glad you are happy with your Rusty...they are great cars. I think they are the best all around cars in terms of overall value.

RC poster
    yeah, Prob right about price on it, but with a battery and i'm way to impulsive to wait on Amazon for 2 days and an extra $100 or so for kit and battery. But so far i love the car fast and fun. Now to find a better body tho cause hate the latch thing and never liked the stadium looking bodies....

yeah, Prob right about price on it, but with a battery and i'm way to impulsive to wait on Amazon for 2 days and an extra $100 or so for kit and battery. But so far i love the car fast and fun. Now to find a better body tho cause hate the latch thing and never liked the stadium looking bodies....
    Are there no LHSs where you are?

I'm a big fan of buying local, especially when it comes to Traxxas as the prices are about the same. Locally you get direct support though and once they get to know you, possibly discounts on related products or services.

Trying to find bodies that fit can be a challenge...but fun.

My thought on attaching is with velco strips on the sides. that's what I used to do way back, but haven't tried it on the more powerful Traxxas vehicles, so i don't know first hand how well it holds up.

RC Qualifier
    My favorite is either stampede 4x4 or HCG slash 4x4. Really just one of them with the chassis and center drive shaft for the other

The HCG slash is great because its chassis is wide open so putting in a UDR motor and esc is a cakewalk. Add an emaxx body and itís a real hoot on 4s. Or you can add the VG racing cage and some plastic paneling turns the thing into a desert buggy. Or you can swap in the stampede chassis and it does backflips all day long on even just 2s

RC poster
    The Rustler is a good size to fit many more 3rd party bodies. The vehicle that can fit the most hard and soft bodies is the TRX, but it's a crawler and not very fast...it could be made fast, but with it's higher CG it won't perform like the Rustler or Maxx.

Quote Originally Posted by jooisk View Post
    If you're going to copy and paste my exact words, at least give me credit for them!

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    I have no experience with the E-Maxx, but I do have the X-Maxx, Rustler 4x4 VXL and The TRX-4 Defender.

The X-Maxx is very limited in available bodies compared to the other two.

BTW, is the Rustler a 2wd or 4X4?