RC Racer

Stock shocks are garbage

They are garbage. Im in the market. What are the best ones for a reasonable price. Im sick of filling with oil to drive around and they break in less than 5 minutes.

Currently running Traxxas GTR shocks on one Rusty, and Pro-Line ProSpec shocks on my other Rusty.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Currently running Traxxas GTR shocks on one Rusty, and Pro-Line ProSpec shocks on my other Rusty.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    Which ones do you like best?

Quote Originally Posted by Stl View Post
    Which ones do you like best?
    Honestly, they're both great. Functionality is approx equal. The primary difference is physical appearance.

RC Qualifier
    Frankly, I wouldn't go as far as calling the stock Ultra shocks garbage, but they definately need aluminium caps and 40-60wt oil. The stock plastic caps have been a well known weak point for a decade or so.
    However, my preferred shocks for the Rustler/Slash/Stampede's are the Traxxas GTR's. They are buttery smooth and have far better dampening capacity when jumping.

RC poster
    Running gtr's myself. much better than stock for sure.

RC poster
    Well at least I now know it wasn't just my rusty driving skills....

My caps started repeatedly popping off within minutes of use and after trying different oil weights and spring preload I gave up and ordered aluminum caps.... which hopefully arrive today.

Quote Originally Posted by VeryOldGuy View Post
    Well at least I now know it wasn't just my rusty driving skills....

My caps started repeatedly popping off within minutes of use and after trying different oil weights and spring preload I gave up and ordered aluminum caps.... which hopefully arrive today.
    That's what my step-dad did, after experiencing the same thing. The aluminum caps on the stock 'Ultra' shocks is a good "upgrade...but, the GTR, or Pro-Line ProSpec, shocks are even better. Plus, both (GTR & ProSpec) give you other color options besides 'black-only'.

RC poster
    That's what my step-dad did, after experiencing the same thing. The aluminum caps on the stock 'Ultra' shocks is a good "upgrade...but, the GTR, or Pro-Line ProSpec, shocks are even better. Plus, both (GTR & ProSpec) give you other color options besides 'black-only'.

I looked at the GTR shocks prior to ordering my aluminum caps.... in several videos it was mentioned that the GTR caps were still the same plastic as the ultra shocks so I decided against them.

On my stock ultra shocks the threads inside the caps deteriorated more with each pop, and after 5 or 6 times were virtually non existent.

Very disappointing as everything was brand new and I hadn't taken a single jump yet.

I will have to take a look at Pro-Line.

Thanks

I have GTRs on my son's Slash and in 3.5 years not one has popped or come close. Same goes with my Slash Platinum.
    The Super Derecho

I looked at the GTR shocks prior to ordering my aluminum caps.... in several videos it was mentioned that the GTR caps were still the same plastic as the ultra shocks so I decided against them.

On my stock ultra shocks the threads inside the caps deteriorated more with each pop, and after 5 or 6 times were virtually non existent.

Very disappointing as everything was brand new and I hadn't taken a single jump yet.

I will have to take a look at Pro-Line.

Thanks
    One of the "problems" with the Ultra shocks is the plastic-on-plastic. Both materials are 'flexible', this they have truly "grip" onto each other. That being said, let me ask you, what's the difference between a plastic body & aluminum cap, or an aluminum body & plastic cap? The answer is, there is no difference. You say you didn't want the GTRs because of the plastic cap...but, in terms of "gripping power", the GTRs hold together EXACTLY the same as the Ultras w/ aluminum caps...but, an aluminum body w/ plastic cap is far superior to a plastic body w/ aluminum cap.

Moving in to the other big problem with the Ultra shocks - they have NO pre-load. Yes, you have "pre-load" clips, but they are preset points, with no real adjustability. Plus, being plastic, just like the plastic Ultra caps, the clips can pop off. The GTRs, on the other hand, are threaded down the outside of the body, and have a pre-load ring, so you have true pre-load adjustability.

RC poster
    One of the "problems" with the Ultra shocks is the plastic-on-plastic. Both materials are 'flexible', this they have truly "grip" onto each other. That being said, let me ask you, what's the difference between a plastic body & aluminum cap, or an aluminum body & plastic cap? The answer is, there is no difference. You say you didn't want the GTRs because of the plastic cap...but, in terms of "gripping power", the GTRs hold together EXACTLY the same as the Ultras w/ aluminum caps...but, an aluminum body w/ plastic cap is far superior to a plastic body w/ aluminum cap.

Moving in to the other big problem with the Ultra shocks - they have NO pre-load. Yes, you have "pre-load" clips, but they are preset points, with no real adjustability. Plus, being plastic, just like the plastic Ultra caps, the clips can pop off. The GTRs, on the other hand, are threaded down the outside of the body, and have a pre-load ring, so you have true pre-load adjustability.

In my mind.... with zero testing to back it up... I would assume that the pressures applied would be greater on the cap than on the body. So if I was forced to choose only one or the other I would choose a metal cap.

That along with the fact that I was disgusted with the quality of my newest toys suspension component led me to a cheap "band-aid" fix so I could hopefully get some run time while I researched what is available and then purchased a more permanent solution.

Which Pro-Line shock did you go with ?
    Last edited by VeryOldGuy; 09-30-2019 at 06:23 PM.

In my mind.... with zero testing to back it up... I would assume that the pressures applied would be greater on the cap than on the body. So if I was forced to choose only one or the other I would choose a metal cap.

That along with the fact that I was disgusted with the quality of my newest toys suspension component led me to a cheap "band-aid" fix so I could hopefully get some run time while I researched what is available and then purchased a more permanent solution.

Which Pro-Line shock did you go with ?
    Plenty of "testing" had been done...read the various (2WD & 4WD) Slash, Rustler, Stampede, Rally, and-so-forth threads. You'll find countless people who have already "tested" what I said, which is how I came to pass it onto you. Read the post by Double G, a few posts above...he's been running the GTRs on his Slash for over 3.5 years, and the caps have never popped off. Check with Squeegie, and others who've been posting in here for years, and you'll find they haven't had any problems with the GTRs.

As for which Pro-Line shocks, I already stated - ProSpec. However, while they are great shocks, I've removed them from my Rusty...and replaced them with GTRs (I will be putting the ProSpecs on my Sl4sh, so it's not as if I'm tossing them).

RC poster
    Plenty of "testing" had been done...read the various (2WD & 4WD) Slash, Rustler, Stampede, Rally, and-so-forth threads. You'll find countless people who have already "tested" what I said, which is how I came to pass it onto you. Read the post by Double G, a few posts above...he's been running the GTRs on his Slash for over 3.5 years, and the caps have never popped off. Check with Squeegie, and others who've been posting in here for years, and you'll find they haven't had any problems with the GTRs.

As for which Pro-Line shocks, I already stated - ProSpec. However, while they are great shocks, I've removed them from my Rusty...and replaced them with GTRs (I will be putting the ProSpecs on my Sl4sh, so it's not as if I'm tossing them).

I never insinuated that the GTR caps pop off.

You asked what I thought about plastic body / metal cap vs metal body / plastic cap and I replied with my thoughts... I personally would take plastic body / metal cap if I had to choose only one of those two.

ProSpec, got it that time... my eyes aren't what they used to be...

Thanks

I never insinuated that the GTR caps pop off.

You asked what I thought about plastic body / metal cap vs metal body / plastic cap and I replied with my thoughts... I personally would take plastic body / metal cap if I had to choose only one of those two.

ProSpec, got it that time... my eyes aren't what they used to be...

Thanks
    You said, "In my mind.... with zero testing to back it up... I would assume that the pressures applied would be greater on the cap than on the body." I misread what you meant...I assumed you were insinuating that no testing had been done. Sorry.

However, in regards to the "pressures applied would be greater on the cap than on the body" part of your comment, that's not entirely correct. In a matter of speaking, the pressure will be greatest wherever the weakest point/link is.

If that point is the caps, then 'yes'...but, if the weakest point is somewhere else (say, the shock body bottom cap isn't screwed on properly, or the silicone pieces that are supposed to be inside the bottom of the shock body are missing), then that's the part, or area, that will "give". If the aforementioned silicone parts are missing, a pressure increase won't pop the caps off...instead, you'll find oil leaking from the bottom of the shock body, where the shaft enters the body. If you have a cap that uses a bleeder screw, as opposed to a diaphragm, and the screw isn't completely tightened, that same pressure increase will cause oil to leak from the bleeder hole.

Speaking of diaphragm caps vs bleeder caps, I MUCH prefer bleeder caps...those disappears a big PitA.

RC poster
    No need to be sorry...

I typed what I did because I just prefer all major components be metal when upgrading to metal shocks.

My caps arrived today and I just finished rebuilding these ultra shocks for the last time.

Tomorrow they will get a workout on the new ramps I built and even if they perform flawlessly I am still going to upgrade and then these will reside in my spare parts / emergency bin.

No need to be sorry, I typed what I did because I just prefer all major components be metal when upgrading to metal shocks.

My caps arrived today and I just finished rebuilding these ultra shocks for the last time. Tomorrow they will get a workout on the new ramps I built and even if they perform flawlessly I am still going to upgrade and then these will reside in my spare parts / emergency bin.
    Enjoy. While I prefer "higher end", I do know that, after upgrading to the aluminum caps, my step-dad many had any problems with the Ultra shocks on his 2WD Slash.

RC poster
    I know the feeling... I enjoy high, middle, and low end. Each has their uses and benifits.

Part of my addiction is repairing and building and mods.

My grand nephew just got into driving so I have been showing him the fine art of demolition derby with a few mildly modified older Slash units... more parts for his parts bin !

I really like this 4x4 vxl platform. I'm going to get another and use it to teach him to wrench.

I know the feeling... I enjoy high, middle, and low end. Each has their uses and benifits.

Part of my addiction is repairing and building and mods.

My grand nephew just got into driving so I have been showing him the fine art of demolition derby with a few mildly modified older Slash units... more parts for his parts bin !

I really like this 4x4 vxl platform. I'm going to get another and use it to teach him to wrench.
    Cool. I might suggest, instead of purchasing a complete vehicle, get a rolling chassis (vehicle, minus wheels/tires, body, ESC, motor, receiver, and sometimes steering servo. If you want to "ramp up" the wrenching, you could even consider a kit. Traxxas makes a Stampede 4x4 kit, as well as two different TRX-4 kits (Sport & Crawler). I do know that the TRX-4 kits are quite popular. Of course, Losi, Team Associated, Axial, and others, also make plenty of kits. For race-level off-road vehicles, I'm a big fan of TLR (Team Losi Racing)...but, I also just picked up my first crawler kit, from Axial

RC poster
    Cool. I might suggest, instead of purchasing a complete vehicle, get a rolling chassis (vehicle, minus wheels/tires, body, ESC, motor, receiver, and sometimes steering servo. If you want to "ramp up" the wrenching, you could even consider a kit. Traxxas makes a Stampede 4x4 kit, as well as two different TRX-4 kits (Sport & Crawler). I do know that the TRX-4 kits are quite popular. Of course, Losi, Team Associated, Axial, and others, also make plenty of kits. For race-level off-road vehicles, I'm a big fan of TLR (Team Losi Racing)...but, I also just picked up my first crawler kit, from Axial

Thanks for the suggestions. He doesn't have the patience (yet) for a full kit build but he is amazed by the fact that I can fix most anything so I am going to just start him out slow with repairing what he breaks on a rtr.

So I ordered him his own 4x4 VXL.... I will get him in the mindset of: if he wants to drive it he will have to fix it.

I've got an MT410 in route for myself at the moment. I enjoy kits and have been building them for quite some time.