Tire Woes Solved!

Recently I had bought a really nice set of 1/2 inch offset bead-lock rims for my E-Maxx Brushless truck. The problem was that the tire bead kept slipping from underneath the locking ring. I had tried many things to stop the bead from slipping such as, tightening the ring down tighter, using silicone and even putting the hex screws through the actual bead.

The latter method of putting the hex screws through the actual bead resulted in the sidewalls shredding themselves into oblivion.

Then I sat down and started to think along a more authentic approach to solving this common problem of tire beads slipping the ring lock.

Here is what I did to solve this annoying problem:

Firstly, I got myself some screen spline:

Secondly, I cut it to the diameter of the ring lock gap seat:

Then lastly and thirdly, I made sure that the screen spline was behind all the clamping hex hardware before clamping it all the way down:

Essentially, what this did, was make a very excellent clamping wedge between the ring, tire bead and rim bead lock groove making it virtually impossible for the tire to slip out from underneath the ring.

So, if the next time you buy some bead-lock rims and they suggest putting the hex hardware directly through the actual tire bead, and you really don't want to do it that way; maybe this solution can be your alternative to saving your sidewalls from annihilation.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-18-2019 at 02:06 PM. Reason: per OP request
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

Nice idea. Have you tried everything out yet?
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

Flux Capacitor,

Posting this information will be beneficial to others - I'm sure! Look forward to reading the results of this info....

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Nice idea. Have you tried everything out yet?
    I have been testing this out for over a week. I have not been able to shake the bead loose yet!

What was happening, was the tire bead would break free on certain spots on all of the tires. Imagine how fed up you would be if you just dropped a large sum of money on bead-lock rims only to have them not be able to hold your tires on.

Another point to note, is the fact that most tire compounds are the soft compound for the 3.8 size tire/rim combos and so far I only saw the Monster Size 40 Series Mud Slingers tire being the only option for a medium compound tire.

Yet, on a further note, if you try to use Traxxas tires on a bead-lock style rim, you are asking for a whole slew of problems because Traxxas tire beads are meant exclusively for Traxxas rims. Don't ask me how I know, because it cost a lot of money in mistakes to figure out that they actually were right for a change about compatibility issues.

The problem I was running into most often using the 6.3 Traxxas tires, is that the sidewalls would not withstand the stress imposed upon them by bead-locks. They would start to split open on the sidewalls like someone took a razor knife to them.

Overall, this little fix along with taping the tires and sealing the rim holes has led to a solution that allows me to run the Traxxas 6.3 tires on a bead-lock style rim successfully.

From a testing point of view, this technique could be applied to various bead-lock style rims that accept tires of the soft compound that have no preset holes in the tire bead.

As I understand it, there are actually tires (Badlands) that have the tire bead holes to accept the ring lock hex hardware of bead-lock rims.

My solution simply allows for versatility in the soft compound tire selection that is available for the E-Maxx series trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by maximum View Post
    Flux Capacitor,

Posting this information will be beneficial to others - I'm sure! Look forward to reading the results of this info....
    The results so far, after a week of strenuous extensive testing, have yielded exceptional results. I have not been able to shake the tire bead loose no matter what I have thrown at the truck. I even climbed hills off camber so that the entire weight of the truck was virtually relying on only two sidewalls at a time to put the most possible stress on the tire beads.

I have nothing but only good news regarding this modification for the tires and I'm thinking that since my tires are as sealed up as I can get them, that this only helps further to keep out foreign materials and is easier on the actual tire bead itself because my metal ring locks are in contact with the screen spline and not the actual tire bead. It's a win/win situation!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 09-18-2019 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Punctuation.

Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Imagine how fed up you would be if you just dropped a large sum of money on bead-lock rims only to have them not be able to hold your tires on.

I felt your pain a good while ago when I got my first set of Proline bead-locks rims. It was a pain in the asset having to unscrew all those little screws every time I turned around. The first thing I tried was going to the next bigger screw size. That worked for a little while, but I eventually had to glue mine to correct that problem. Still have those tires...they're my favorite tire for my Emaxx.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 09-19-2019 at 03:36 AM.

I was able to break a bead free this morning.

I took the wheel apart and found that the screen spline had smashed instead of wedging into the rim bead slot. The screen spline appears to break down over time and my next attempt is to use Titanium trimmer line (round) to wedge in the rim bead slot.

I changed all my screen spline to Titanium trimmer line and will see how this holds up for this second attempt to stop tire beads from slipping the lock ring.

The way I do my bead-locks is I glue the tire onto the rim, and the bead-lock ring onto the tire. Doing this keeps everything from moving, rubbing and (for me) trouble free. I also, tape my tires and cover the vent holes with silicon. Balancing is a must too.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    The way I do my bead-locks is I glue the tire onto the rim, and the bead-lock ring onto the tire. Doing this keeps everything from moving, rubbing and (for me) trouble free. I also, tape my tires and cover the vent holes with silicon. Balancing is a must too.
    Isn't not gluing part of the purpose of using beadlocks?
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Yep, but for some reason (I don't know why) some bead-locks hold and some don't. When do I leave them alone. When they don't I glue them.