RC Competitor

Motor/esc, servos, rx/tx, and batteries?

Hello everyone so all of this won't be for a while (hopefully) But I was wondering about electronics for the 2.0. I was wondering if the hobbywing motor/ESC setup is good and if not what is a good setup? What single servo setup is best/ And if SMC batteries will affect performance good or bad and if they will work with Traxxas chargers? Finally, are Spektrum receivers and transmitters worth the money or should I just stick with stock?
    His Glory Alone all the way to the grave.

RC Qualifier
    I think only Traxxas batteries will work with the Traxxas charger. As it uses the id plug and doesn't have a Ballance board. Smc batteries have been my fav so far. But they don't offer the new traxxas Id plug on them just the old style one.

Savox for servo. I don't remember what I got but think it's the 250mg get the metal gear servo saver part.

Personally I'd only replace motor and electronics as they fail...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Traxxas chargers (at least the ones I have, dont know if they changed since I purchased mine) will charge non traxxas batteries. There is a cover plate over the balance connections. Just pop the plate off and plug your balance leads in. You have to manually set up the charger though, cell count and charge rate.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    I think only Traxxas batteries will work with the Traxxas charger. As it uses the id plug and doesn't have a Ballance board. Smc batteries have been my fav so far. But they don't offer the new traxxas Id plug on them just the old style one.

Savox for servo. I don't remember what I got but think it's the 250mg get the metal gear servo saver part.

Personally I'd only replace motor and electronics as they fail...

I agree about the electronics this is all down the road (pun intended) as things fail.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    Traxxas chargers (at least the ones I have, dont know if they changed since I purchased mine) will charge non traxxas batteries. There is a cover plate over the balance connections. Just pop the plate off and plug your balance leads in. You have to manually set up the charger though, cell count and charge rate.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Good to know I was just guessing as I never owned a trx charger. Never saw a balance board on the pics I've seen

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bashing fo fun View Post
    Hello everyone so all of this won't be for a while (hopefully) But I was wondering about electronics for the 2.0. I was wondering if the hobbywing motor/ESC setup is good and if not what is a good setup? What single servo setup is best/ And if SMC batteries will affect performance good or bad and if they will work with Traxxas chargers? Finally, are Spektrum receivers and transmitters worth the money or should I just stick with stock?
    I agree with replacing the electronics after failure. I'm running the hobbywing max8 combo (esc and 4274 motor), no problems so far, fully programmable, running great. Just hooked up a double fan setup since my gearing is kinda aggressive.

When my servo's failed, I took the advice of the forum veterans here and went with a single sav÷x sa-1231sg. Plenty of torque, fast enough, really happy with it.

Regarding the traxxas chargers: FnFancy is right, you can charge non-traxxas batteries, if they have the traxxas connector / plug. I've only heard good things about SMC batteries here on the forum, they are not available in my area of the world, so no personal experience.

Last, I'm still running the original transmitter on my e-revo since I'm able to configure my max8 esc. I do own a spektrum dx5rugged (affordable, not high end) and use it for other vehicles, performing quite well with the luxury of being able to configure certain settings directly and on the go without much hassle.
    E-Revo 2.0
    E-Revo VXL Brushless 1/16

RC Competitor
    Thanks mastaa I will probably go with that almost exact setup unless my receiver fails then I might upgrade.

I prefer a radio that has a screen so it's easier to setup and use for multiple models. I've used spektrum for years, but it wasn't until the last 5 or so that I was able to get receivers that had a coaxial antenna, so the range was abysmal. With then coaxial antenna receivers, the range is typically about as far as I can safely see. If I didn't have 10 trucks to buy receivers for, I'd get a nice futaba. They make really nice stuff, but $600 worth of receivers isn't fun.

I got my 2.0 as a roller and transplanted my electrics from my v1 (mxl-6s/2200kv). Shortly after, my MXL-6S died. I ran it for 3 years on 4S in my v1 and for 3 or 4 bash sessions on 6S in my v2. Now I'm using an old hpi blur F360C I had (rebranded MMv1) that I conformal coated with the same motor. So far, it's doing ok, after I adjusted the throttle/brake curve. I also added a 6x1800uf cap pack to take some of the surge load off the internal caps of the esc.

I've been running 3S HRB 5000mah 50C and 3S Hobbystar 6200mah 50C in it. I recently changed over to XT90S connectors on all my 6S trucks/packs as I was getting some nasty arcing after installing the cap pack.

If I upgraded the esc/motor, I'd likely go with the HW max6 and a <2000kv motor then gear it up a bit. The 2200kv motor really howls on 6S and runs on the hot side (>160F with fans). I have 3.8" trenchers on it that are wrapped with kevlar string and I really like those on it, but they are a bit on the heavy side. Although, lighter than the talon ext's on the 2.0 revo (13.4oz vs 14.2oz).

I've been running a single one of these for steering:
    https://www.rcjuice.com/servos/servo...aterproof.html

If it dies, I'll replace it with one of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RNFQYD2

I have one of those in my outcast currently and it's faster/stronger. Seems to do a better job with the 3.8 trenchers.
    Expert rigging at it's best!