Please tell me how well tuned my Nitro Slash is? - VIDEO

Hi

I am having overheating issues with my Nitro Slash
    HSN is half a turn closed from factory break in settings (so 3 and a half turns out).
    LSN is half a turn out from factory break in settings as well.
    However driving the car like this, the temp went up to 280 and the engine just stopped and there was white smoke coming out from the cylinder head.
    Car still works great and runs well on idle, I would just like to avoid overheating it again.
    I am new to nitro RC's.
    I have attached a video of the car running.
    How does it sound to you guys?

Thanks for your support.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuKPb81w0u47lFfz...9XMBw?e=zk9e1F

RC Qualifier
    I’m a relative noob when it comes to nitro, but it sounds alright to me. The temperature and cutting out is concerning though. I would maybe riches it a bit, just to be swept cool it down. And keep an eye on the temps. I don’t think you did any damage though. Hopefully someone with more tuning experience will give us both some advice

There is no pinging at all that I could hear? Maybe the video makes it so.
    Plenty of blue smoke.
    Transitions from low to high really well but overheats.
    Idles great too, heres a video of it idling when started from cold.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuKPb81w0u47lFLZ...IcuEU?e=KyKAkP

Maybe I should richen both needles a bit?

RC Qualifier
    In the first video, sounds good in the short time of the video. If the engine cuts out from overheating, richen the HSN and tune again. If you get back to the same settings, try with the body off and see if temps go down. It also could not be getting enough airflow. You might need to run a little richer for your driving style and area. I would try opening HSN 1/4 turn and try running and see how it acted. It's better to run on the rich side than lean settings.
    Looks like your having fun.

Thanks for your support.

Is it normal when you first start the engine to be so sluggish until it warms up. Pulling on the throttle barely moves the car and it sounds like its running super rich?
    Then when it warms up, goes like crazy!

The engine will be a little sluggish when cold. A good thing to do is make sure there is no air leaks and that air is only entering in through the filter and out through the exhaust stinger. Replace the fuel and pressure lines and if you have any oily residue around the exhaust parts then you have a leak.

Many times the HSN may be fine but a lean LSN will allow the temps to creep up as the engine will not be able to cool when off-throttle. If you have a temp gun run it for a bit, bring it in and watch the temps at idle - they should be dropping a degree or two every few seconds. If they don't then richen it up a little. To make it a little more "complicated" an idle gap too big could have a lean LSN and seem okay; as well as a small air gap and rich LSN. Set the idle gap to 0.7-1.0mm open and leave it.
    The Super Derecho

Hey

Many thanks.
    No oil residue anywhere on or around the exhaust.
    That is a great idea, so warm it up to around 100 celsius ( think thats around 200 Farenheit) then leave it to idle while watching if the temp drops with a laser gun?

I have a Milwaukee temp gun, so will try this tomorrow.

First thing I did was set the idle gap to around 1mm or slightly less. I donít touch the idle anymore but rather adjust it with richening the LSN.

Pls click on the second link I posted to see the car idling when cold, I am thinking I still need to richen the LSN just a bit more.

Thanks
    Last edited by gandalfnz; 09-22-2019 at 11:41 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Second video link doesn't work for me. You shouldn't be using LSN to adjust idle. All adjustments for tuning should be done at operating temps. Adjust, run vehicle, check and repeat as necessary. Once the tune is good you would only need minor adjustments each different time you ran the truck.
    I don't think Double G meant to say set idle at 0.7mm to 1.0mm and never touch again. The idle air gap should be in that range or very close to it when adjusted.
    As an example of what I think you are doing now is setting the idle gap at 1mm and using the LSN to lower the idle, if you are you are probably running rich at idle. Use the idle pinch test as a guide. How does it accelerate after idling for 5 seconds?
    If you need to run your LSN really rich to idle, there is probably something else going on.
    Here's a quick guide that might help http://www.rcdriver.com/basic-engine...-your-needles/

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Second video link doesn't work for me. You shouldn't be using LSN to adjust idle. All adjustments for tuning should be done at operating temps. Adjust, run vehicle, check and repeat as necessary. Once the tune is good you would only need minor adjustments each different time you ran the truck.
    I don't think Double G meant to say set idle at 0.7mm to 1.0mm and never touch again. The idle air gap should be in that range or very close to it when adjusted.
    As an example of what I think you are doing now is setting the idle gap at 1mm and using the LSN to lower the idle, if you are you are probably running rich at idle. Use the idle pinch test as a guide. How does it accelerate after idling for 5 seconds?
    If you need to run your LSN really rich to idle, there is probably something else going on.
    Here's a quick guide that might help http://www.rcdriver.com/basic-engine...-your-needles/
    Thanks for your help.

Please check this link to see the car idle

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuKPb81w0u47lFLZ...IcuEU?e=dDLlgj

It takes off really well, even after idling for 5 seconds. There is no change in sound of the engine running (loading on fuel) after 5 secs. Its a nice and constant idle.

I am very confused when it comes to pinch test, and have done tons of reaseach on this subject.

Do I need to do a lap, then bring the car back and pinch the fuel line asap after stopping it?
    Or, do I have to leave the car to idle after doing a lap, and then pinch the fuel line?

Reason I ask, I did this test as soon as the car stopped and the engine shut off in about 1 sec.

Thanks
    Last edited by gandalfnz; 09-24-2019 at 06:47 AM.

I haven't touched the idle gap since I set it. I tune the HSN for smoke, performance and sound and the LSN by the pinch test and monitoring temps while idling.

A rich LSN will allow the engine to slowly build with fuel and take off will be a bit slow and smokey until it clears out. An engine with a lean LSN will have an idle the creeps up as well as the temps. The HSN is more forgiving to tune, the LSN is pretty sensitive so small twists are necessary.

Tuning is an art and will take a little bit to understand. If at any point you get lost or frustrated, go back to factory settings and start over. Good practice is to warm the engine up, tune when at temp and around a half tank. You'll have a slightly rich setting when full and slightly lean when empty.

Sometimes it is better to be seen than read: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP85V_QKcFo
    2 minute mark: https://youtu.be/pEGjExP9GkM?t=119

If you can find videos by Squirrelod on Youtube then don't miss. He made some great videos back in the day but they all seem to have disappeared.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    I haven't touched the idle gap since I set it. I tune the HSN for smoke, performance and sound and the LSN by the pinch test and monitoring temps while idling.

A rich LSN will allow the engine to slowly build with fuel and take off will be a bit slow and smokey until it clears out. An engine with a lean LSN will have an idle the creeps up as well as the temps. The HSN is more forgiving to tune, the LSN is pretty sensitive so small twists are necessary.

Tuning is an art and will take a little bit to understand. If at any point you get lost or frustrated, go back to factory settings and start over. Good practice is to warm the engine up, tune when at temp and around a half tank. You'll have a slightly rich setting when full and slightly lean when empty.

Sometimes it is better to be seen than read: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP85V_QKcFo
    2 minute mark: https://youtu.be/pEGjExP9GkM?t=119

If you can find videos by Squirrelod on Youtube then don't miss. He made some great videos back in the day but they all seem to have disappeared.
    Thanks for the vids.

They still don't specify whether to pinch immediately after stopping or wait a little while and then pinch?
    I the second vid I see he leaves it running idle then pinch it, but I am not sure for how long he leaves it running idle?
    Does that even matter?

Thanks

You're worried about something that shouldn't be much of an issue. Run it, bring it to a stop and pinch the line. In the seconds it takes you to bend over and pinch the engine will not load up that much.

Obsessing over the minuscule points regarding the tune will take the joy out of running nitro.
    The Super Derecho

You're worried about something that shouldn't be much of an issue. Run it, bring it to a stop and pinch the line. In the seconds it takes you to bend over and pinch the engine will not load up that much.

Obsessing over the minuscule points regarding the tune will take the joy out of running nitro.
    Fair enough.

I already did this when I had the run from the video, and when pinching the line as I stopped the car, engine turned off after 2 seconds.

Thanks
    Last edited by gandalfnz; 09-24-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Another question.

The idle gap should be 0-7 - 1mm when looking from the top of the air restrictor or looking from the side?

If I insert a 0.8 paper clip, should I hold it straight, or hold diagonal/from the side, when measuring the gap?

Might be a stupid question, but gap width does change depending on the angle you look at it.

Thanks

Straight in.
    The Super Derecho

Just a small update.

I have tuned the car really well, it runs great!

Starts super easy, press ezy start button for a sec or two, and idles really good from cold.
    Blue Smoke coming out
    Takes off really well when idling even for 10 seconds (LSN good). Pinch tested and shuts off at around 3 seconds.
    Engine temperature is around 230

I must say I am loving the nitro slash, found I enjoy it more than our 4x4 electric version.
    Now looking at buying a spare engine.

Only thing is, that 150 ml fuel tank does not last very long at all!

Oh and I purchased the VENOM smart temp, just to play around with it, and try to get temp fail safe working. Found it cheap.

Thanks all for your support.
    Last edited by gandalfnz; 10-02-2019 at 03:24 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I'm glad you got it sorted out. Sounds like your having a blast with it. .
    In case you didn't know you can refill the fuel without shutting off the engine.

A full gallon (3.8L) will fill the tank 25 times. Multiple the time it takes to drain a tank by 25 and you could have hours of running till the engine glows fun!
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I'm glad you got it sorted out. Sounds like your having a blast with it. .
    In case you didn't know you can refill the fuel without shutting off the engine.
    But the body has to come off in order to refuel.

Revo 3.3 has a nice feature where you can refuel without taking it off.

A full gallon (3.8L) will fill the tank 25 times. Multiple the time it takes to drain a tank by 25 and you could have hours of running till the engine glows fun!
    True.

A tank usually lasts me around 15 mins.

Does anyone know if new Rustlers come equipped with a 3.3, or are they still 2.5 standard?

Thanks

Why isn't image posting working on the forum?

I have mounted the venom smart temp on the car.
    Using it just as a temp gauge, and to be honest its working out better than the temp gun.
    I had to move it around, and try different locations on the cooling fins, but once I matched it with what my temp gun is showing, it now works great.
    Even more useful is the air vent cut out on the body, no need to remove the body to see the temp.

Great!

Pics

https://ibb.co/NFqYVQN

https://ibb.co/7jbVdkq

https://ibb.co/DDrBxwT
    Last edited by gandalfnz; 10-03-2019 at 11:43 PM.