Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New E maxx!! ?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    I wouldnít get so hung up on 4s for this thing. I built an HCG Sl4sh desert buggy using the udr motor and esc, vg racing cage, mip axles, aluminum carriers + motor mount, proline 2.8 badlands mx28 tires, 17mm hot racing 10mm offset hubs, the works. The thing weighs a ton. On 4s there is so much power to spare itís ridiculous. This is a 2400kv versus the 2200kv from the udr motor, so with proper gearing gearing it should be more than fine on 3s
    That's not a fair comparison. You are talking about a 4275 motor compared to a 3670. That is a big difference in motors. After thoroughly looking over the Maxx and trying to not be a skeptic, I think as long as you can fit a 4070 or 4270 motor in it I see it being a solid truck. A little over priced but solid. Anymore run time than 20 minutes or so on a 10lb truck, running aggressive gearing, in the summer months you'd really be pushing the limits of that 2400kv 3670. The problem isn't going to be performance, or lack thereof, it will be heat. That's how I look at any RC I'm considering. Can I put a bigger motor in when or if I start having heat issues? For some they have enough discipline to keep temps down on stock systems. Other people wanna rip it all pack long and not have to worry about temps. No dought the thing performs, more of a question of how reliable that performance is before the degrees creep into the danger zone.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    That's not a fair comparison. You are talking about a 4275 motor compared to a 3670. That is a big difference in motors. After thoroughly looking over the Maxx and trying to not be a skeptic, I think as long as you can fit a 4070 or 4270 motor in it I see it being a solid truck. A little over priced but solid. Anymore run time than 20 minutes or so on a 10lb truck, running aggressive gearing, in the summer months you'd really be pushing the limits of that 2400kv 3670. The problem isn't going to be performance, or lack thereof, it will be heat. That's how I look at any RC I'm considering. Can I put a bigger motor in when or if I start having heat issues? For some they have enough discipline to keep temps down on stock systems. Other people wanna rip it all pack long and not have to worry about temps. No dought the thing performs, more of a question of how reliable that performance is before the degrees creep into the danger zone.

I think that’s why it comes with a fairly robust looking fan on the motor in addition to the esc having a built in fan. Not everyone really needs a motor the size of the udr/e revo for a 10lb 1/10 vehicle. unless we start hearing reviewers complain it runs too hot on 4s, why not give the stock set up a chance before we all get too pessimistic about the stock system?

I think thatís why it comes with a fairly robust looking fan on the motor in addition to the esc having a built in fan. Not everyone really needs a motor the size of the udr/e revo for a 10lb 1/10 vehicle. unless we start hearing reviewers complain it runs too hot on 4s, why not give the stock set up a chance before we all get too pessimistic about the stock system?
    It's nothing against traxxas, I own multiple brands. I have had heat issues in other brands. It's not being pessimistic if you have real world results and experiences that back up your intuition. It might be fine, just through my experience for me personally I would "likely" have heat issues. There is no way around it. 4s system, 3670 motor, geared for 50+ mph, in a 10lb vehicle, unless it's a revolutionary fan system/ESC, it is at the top of what it's capable of. Look up some specs for some top of the line aftermarket ESC manufacturers, there tech notes and recommendations are going to advise not running more than 4s on a vehicle not to exceed 9-10lbs. because even they know you are really starting to push it. It would be nice to know what the amp rating on the ESC is. If it was a 150amp ESC I would probably shut my mouth, but I'm doubting it is.

Nothing a dremel, foam padding, Velcro straps and some 6s capable Tekin esc and motor can’t fix, since you sound pretty keen on modifying things. SMC makes some 6s batteries that a just a few mm wider than the stock battery tray.
    I don't know, my friend. I gave one a good looking over, and all the components fit very tight. I think you could do something ESC wise, because the Maxx's 4s ESC is really big compared to other 6s ESC's. But with the motor, it's small diameter (and how tight it fits) would make changing it to a 6s motor improbable. Also, trying to do something with having only one battery tray is going to be a big problem with a truck that size.

Generally speaking, I don't have a problem with Traxxas parts, but the way this new Maxx is laid out limits an owners part replacing options. That's something I really don't care for. I like having options (lots of options) when I buy a RTR just incase the factory parts aren't up to the task to which they're advertised.

I think we can all agree that we have seen RTR problems before, not only with Traxxas, but with other RTR makers as well. Some examples of this, with regards to Traxxas, is the 6s Xmaxx, Emaxx and Spartan...just to name a few. Great RC vehicles by the way, but they did need some upgrading to make them truly great. Fortunately they had the real-estate, so that an owner could modify them up to their full potential. Unfortunately, with layouts like the Maxx and UDR I just don't see that happening. Those layouts are just to restrictive.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 10-04-2019 at 03:37 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I don't know, my friend. I gave one a good looking over, and all the components fit very tight. I think you could do something ESC wise, because the Maxx's 4s ESC is really big compared to other 6s ESC's. But with the motor, it's small diameter (and how tight it fits) would make changing it to a 6s motor improbable. Also, trying to do something with having only one battery tray is going to be a big problem with a truck that size

I think we can all agree that we have seen RTR problems before, not only with Traxxas, but with other RTR makers as well. Some examples of this, with regards to Traxxas, is the 6s Xmaxx, Emaxx and Spartan...just to name a few. Great RC vehicles by the way, but they did need some upgrading to make them truly great. Fortunately they had the real-estate, so that an owner could modify them up to their full potential. Unfortunately, with layouts like the Maxx and UDR I just don't see that happening. Those layouts are just to restrictive.
    I understand. I’ve gone down that route with Teknos and ending up getting M2C game changer chassis for the same reason.

I have been staring at the chassis detail photos on the Maxx page, I am thinking that without the fan, and with the inevitable aftermarket motor mounts, you can fit much fatter can motor on there easily, the same idea as say factory works mounts for 6 and 8s motors for sl4sh and rustl4rs. If there is not enough room for some of the larger 6s ESCs, well, we can always relocate with simple lexan sheet and screws. Again the same idea as what Traxxas and Tekno basher builders have been doing for years.

RC Competitor
    Guys, look on youtube. A LHS has already put a 6s system in it. I think it was a Traxxas one.

RC Qualifier
    The VXL-6s from the E-Revo 2.0 is the same size and drops straight in I believe...Ö. although will obviously need some modification to fit 2x3s batteries in.....
    https://www.youtube.com/iftibashir

Quote Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
    The VXL-6s from the E-Revo 2.0 is the same size and drops straight in I believe...Ö. although will obviously need some modification to fit 2x3s batteries in.....
    You can simply pull the jumper wire out of the housings and put both ESC leads into one connector to run a single battery of your choice.

I have been staring at the chassis detail photos on the Maxx page, I am thinking that without the fan, and with the inevitable aftermarket motor mounts, you can fit much fatter can motor on there easily, the same idea as say factory works mounts for 6 and 8s motors for sl4sh and rustl4rs.
    Thinking out loud, mind you, I think upgrading the ESC would be the easiest thing to do. The motor could be replaced by using a stand alone motor mount, but (in my mind) the problem would be that it would be raised from it's natural position. Doing this might make it very difficult (at best) to get the gears (and have them mesh) needed for proper operation.

The problem I see (again in my mind) with trying to get two 3s batteries to fit properly would be getting the body back on over the second 3s battery. From what I seen, there just isn't a lot of space between it and the top of the Maxx chassis. If the Maxx was a 1/8 scale similar to the Emaxx, I think there would be a reasonable chance of pulling it off. But man, that Maxx is a tight fitting Truck. Anyway, just thinking out loud.

RC Qualifier
    I think the gear mesh issue can be solved with something like the factory works mount that pivots the motor from a new higher rotating axis, or the straight sliding mount form another maker that I canít recall the name. I expect any number of custom fabricators are drawing up cnc plans as we speak.

Battery fit shouldnít be too bad with a raised floor and straps, since the body is a MT body there is more room. I have a 2nd battery mount from factory works that works great on a Rustl4r, yes, 6s Rustl4r, and it is a handful.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 10-04-2019 at 02:30 PM.

I'll keep an eye out for when you get started. I'd like to see how it turns out, so don't be afraid to take/post lots of pictures.

RC Qualifier
    I'll keep an eye out for when you get started. I'd like to see how it turns out, so don't be afraid to take/post lots of pictures.
    No need to wait. There are many threads in the Sl4sh and Rustl4r forums from knowledgeable members that show how the motor mounts work, just sort threads by number of replies and youíll see them.

I'm sure your right, and I'm sure I could get the general jest looking at it from a Slash 4x4 point of view. But, it would be better to see it actually on the Maxx. If you don't want to I understand perfectly. I'm sure someone will in the future, though, and I'm not planning on getting one (I'm happy with my Emaxx). So, I have gobs of time to wait.

RC Qualifier
    Well it looks like I'm a little late to the unveiling of the new Maxx truck. I can understand some comments on Emaxx comparisons but everything I look at IMO looks awesome just as it is. I'm not a big upgrading person and run mostly stock and still have alot of fun. I think this is going to be a big seller for Traxxas, way to go nice truck.

I'm definitely a stock guy too, but I like having the freedom of being able to choose better components if stock parts prove to be problematic. I also don't like having to depend on or waiting for a company to come out with a upgraded part. It's better (IMO) being able to deal with a RTR problem quickly.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 10-07-2019 at 03:46 AM.

Looks to me that the day of the TMAXX is coming to an end as a lot of nitro's are....
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Looks to me that the day of the TMAXX is coming to an end as a lot of nitro's are....
    I havenít even had a chance to get mine running. I hope Iím not underwhelmed, I fear with what I run, I may be. Hope the cool factor is there.

Somehow builds are never done....

Battery fit shouldnít be too bad with a raised floor and straps, since the body is a MT body there is more room.
    In case anybody is wondering, every Monday I always stop at my LHS (and next door get my fill of smoked brisket for lunch) on my home from doing my work at Easton. I took another look today at my LHS's display Maxx to see if it would be possible to put another battery in there somewhere other than having two small 3s Lipo's in the Maxx's single battery tray.

(IMO) there's no way. The only extra room between the body and chassis components is the room made by the cab, but due to the slop of the windshield there isn't enough room their either. Everything else under the body has about a half of an inch or less of clearance. With the Maxx's scale and it having only the one sided battery tray, there just isn't the room to do to much with it.

RC Qualifier
    In case anybody is wondering, every Monday I always stop at my LHS (and next door get my fill of smoked brisket for lunch) on my home from doing my work at Easton. I took another look today at my LHS's display Maxx to see if it would be possible to put another battery in there somewhere other than having two small 3s Lipo's in the Maxx's single battery tray.

(IMO) there's no way. The only extra room between the body and chassis components is the room made by the cab, but due to the slop of the windshield there isn't enough room their either. Everything else under the body has about a half of an inch or less of clearance. With the Maxx's scale and it having only the one sided battery tray, there just isn't the room to do to much with it.
    Luckily there are always aftermarket bodies possibilities. As long as the body is not too wide to cause rubbing, one with basic tools can always adapt the body mounting hardware to other bodies, not to mention aftermarket makers, just look at the variety of bodies that Proline has made for the Erevo 2.0.

RC Competitor
    I have yet to see it in person, but from what Ive seen on youtube and such this thing looks like it will be tough as nails. The only thing I can see as a weak spot is the plastic drive shafts, which I'm sure in time there will be metal upgrades for it. I want to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    I have yet to see it in person, but from what Ive seen on youtube and such this thing looks like it will be tough as nails. The only thing I can see as a weak spot is the plastic drive shafts, which I'm sure in time there will be metal upgrades for it. I want to get one.
    I'm gonna go with the weak spot being the steering servo...since just about every Traxxas car I have needed a steering servo within 3 runs.

RC Qualifier
    I believe the servo will be ok. If it can turn the big x maxx wheels it can tun the maxx wheels

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Albie72 View Post
    I believe the servo will be ok. If it can turn the big x maxx wheels it can tun the maxx wheels
    Looking at the specs sheet, The 2090 servo is listed for the Maxx, which is listed as 285 versus 365oz for the x Maxxís 2085. But since the esc for the Maxx has the same bec voltage, continuous and peak current ratings, etc as the vxl-8s, I agree, the servo should do fine in a car so much smaller than the x Maxx.

RC Qualifier
    I'll probably get one just to run in stock form TBH. The only thing that's put me off a little is that I'll have to buy a dedicated battery for the thing. I wanted to use the 6700's from the XMaxx!

Luckily there are always aftermarket bodies possibilities. As long as the body is not too wide to cause rubbing, one with basic tools can always adapt the body mounting hardware to other bodies, not to mention aftermarket makers, just look at the variety of bodies that Proline has made for the Erevo 2.0.
    (IMO) an after body won't help, because of the way the Maxx secures it's body. Whatever body is used will have to use that latching system, and that latching system sets the spacing between the body and the chassis. A person would have to be able to covert the Maxx to body posts, and use long enough posts to get the space needed for another battery. The problem with that is, that (IMO) there's a good chance you would ruin the looks of the Maxx by making it look like it's been ninja rigged. No, (IMO) a person is going to be pretty much restricted to keeping the Maxx pretty much stock.

RC Qualifier
    (IMO) an after body won't help, because of the way the Maxx secures it's body. Whatever body is used will have to use that latching system, and that latching system sets the spacing between the body and the chassis. A person would have to be able to covert the Maxx to body posts, and use long enough posts to get the space needed for another battery. The problem with that is, that (IMO) there's a good chance you would ruin the looks of the Maxx by making it look like it's been ninja rigged. No, (IMO) a person is going to be pretty much restricted to keeping the Maxx pretty much stock.
    But you have seen how the Erevo 2.0 bodies from proline using proline mounts work, right?

This is a hobby that people tinker with stuff. Even if you want to stick with the latch system, I t’s not that hard to repurpose the mounting latches on another similarly shaped body with a more vertical windshield and set the spacing using spacers and different length screws. If you are not comfortable with these basic body modifications, perhaps a LHS or someone local to you can show you how.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 10-08-2019 at 11:53 AM.

But you have seen how the Erevo 2.0 bodies from proline using proline mounts work, right?
    Nope. I guess the reason why is because I don't have a ERevo 2.0, but I will definitely take a peak at what you suggest.

If you are not comfortable with these basic body modifications, perhaps a LHS or someone local to you can show you how.
    I'm pretty comfortable...been RC-ing for years. It's just when I do a job I like for it to look like it came stock that way from the factory rather than a hack job. It will be interesting to see what you are saying about Proline. The bad thing is a person can't have their new Maxx the way they want now, because of its' layout. At best, they will have to be dependent on what Traxxas, Proline and others might do in the future...I annunciate the word "might."
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 10-08-2019 at 12:54 PM.

RC Qualifier
    It's just when I do a job I like for it to look like it came stock that way from the factory rather than a hack job. It will be interesting to see what you are saying about Proline. The bad thing is a person can't have their new Maxx the way they want now, because of its' layout. At best, they will have to be dependent on what Traxxas, Proline and others might do in the future...I annunciate the word "might."
    Traxxas chassis being plastic have always been very affordable. Perfect for honing your custom solutions and get it better over time. I’m optimistic with a drill, dremel, file, some sand paper, and basic hardware we can make the Maxx “ours”, and traxxas cars have traditionally been flush with aftermarket options and I don’t see why the Maxx will be any different.

I took a look at what Proline did with the ERevo 2.0 like you suggested, and if Proline does the same with the Maxx there's a very slight chance that you could do another battery for the Maxx. Like I said though, it still blows getting a new Maxx and only being able to hope (rather than know for sure) that Proline, Traxxas, and others will step up to the plate before you can get your Maxx to the way you want.

When the Xmaxx came out, all the more experienced guys new that 35mph wasn't going to cut it, but with the Xmaxx's size (and the way it was laid out) we knew that it could be modified (to where it should be) with available standard parts all ready on the market.

Unfortunately, that's not the case with the Maxx. A person will have to wait and hope. Personally, I'm not much for waiting and hoping. Before I can justify spending 500 and some dollars, I got to know. That's just me, though, but I'm sure there are others that feel the same. And, I don't knock others who will be satisfied with keeping the Maxx the stock, or those who are willing to take a chance with it. It looks like a nice little truck.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 10-09-2019 at 04:03 AM.

I'm one who can't wait to get my hands on it...but then I'm a stock kind of guy!

The Maxx has the potential to be my favorite. It may bump the Rustler out of the top spot! I have to admit the UDR is definitely in my top three. Depending on the day, that is!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    I'm one who can't wait to get my hands on it...but then I'm a stock kind of guy!

The Maxx has the potential to be my favorite. It may bump the Rustler out of the top spot! I have to admit the UDR is definitely in my top three. Depending on the day, that is!
    Im with ya - Im also looking for something just to run pretty much stock, but also something that's a little more manageable in size then my [rarely run] X-Maxx, which is currently up for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
    Im with ya - Im also looking for something just to run pretty much stock, but also something that's a little more manageable in size then my [rarely run] X-Maxx, which is currently up for sale!
    Yeah, I love my X-Maxx, but I can't just run it anywhere...especially after the E-Revo incident! Nothing big at the house anymore.

The Maxx looks like the perfect size for all around fun.

I finally have some time off for a couple days, I'm gonna try and get an orange Maxx to take out when I finally christen the TRX-6. It's supposed to snow here soon, so that might be fun!

RC Qualifier
    6s Maxx - seems like its do-able then!
    TBH though, I think stock would be more then capable for my needs!

RC Qualifier
    I took a look at what Proline did with the ERevo 2.0 like you suggested, and if Proline does the same with the Maxx there's a very slight chance that you could do another battery for the Maxx. Like I said though, it still blows getting a new Maxx and only being able to hope (rather than know for sure) that Proline, Traxxas, and others will step up to the plate before you can get your Maxx to the way you want.

When the Xmaxx came out, all the more experienced guys new that 35mph wasn't going to cut it, but with the Xmaxx's size (and the way it was laid out) we knew that it could be modified (to where it should be) with available standard parts all ready on the market.

Unfortunately, that's not the case with the Maxx. A person will have to wait and hope. Personally, I'm not much for waiting and hoping. Before I can justify spending 500 and some dollars, I got to know. That's just me, though, but I'm sure there are others that feel the same. And, I don't knock others who will be satisfied with keeping the Maxx the stock, or those who are willing to take a chance with it. It looks like a nice little truck.
    Iím glad you brought up the Xmaxx power up scenario. To put things in perspective, with stock all around gearing the Maxx does over 55mph on 4s. Look at the video iftibashir posted, the thing on 6s is darn near impossible to keep the front end down even at 50mph. But hey, no one in this hobby says no to more power, you could sit and hope, or you could get drilling and dremeling and make it happen yourself.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 10-09-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Yikes, that was a cool video, love the 'walk of shame' bit. 6S looks like too much for the Maxx, will just result in a lot of breakage.

I don't get it, why does every one want 6S in this truck so badly? 6S makes my 20+ pound X-maxx boogie and I can shred my E-maxx on 4S.
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    Yikes, that was a cool video, love the 'walk of shame' bit. 6S looks like too much for the Maxx, will just result in a lot of breakage.

I don't get it, why does every one want 6S in this truck so badly? 6S makes my 20+ pound X-maxx boogie and I can shred my E-maxx on 4S.
    I can't speak for everyone, but I see it this way. The truck size wise is closer to an 8th scale then a tenth. The truck weight wise exceeds some 8th scale trucks I already own. It comes with stock 10th scale electronics. Yes, in the demo videos it boogies, but for how long and what kind of temps are you going to wind up with. I have trucks that weigh close to that and run 4s and its plenty fast and fun, but that is with 8th scale electronics. For the msrp you can get similar trucks that are 8th scale and come with 6s capable, 8th scale electronics. I don't dought the truck is plenty of fun on 4s, for me, there just isn't enough value there, especially knowing I would personally likely run into temperature issues. Seeing that the castle system drops right in is a relief. But that would be another 250$, so we are 800$. If it came in a kit version for 300$, I would be interested more.

Last edited by nickruger; 10-09-2019 at 12:20 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    For the msrp you can get similar trucks that are 8th scale and come with 6s capable, 8th scale electronics. I don't dought the truck is plenty of fun on 4s, for me, there just isn't enough value there, especially knowing I would personally likely run into temperature issues.
    It does sound like you and a few other folks who feel the Maxx is under powered are going to be better off buying something else like the Erevo.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 10-09-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    It's to each their own. The arguments based upon personal opinion are relatively the same every time Traxxas introduces a new vehicle - just insert the vehicle name in the blank. Complaining about the MSRP. Whining it is not what they wanted. Wishing for their "perfect" truck for Traxxas to make and that they may as well hold their breath. Comparing it to a Losi, Arrma, HPI and everything else out there. Speculating on what will break. How to outfit aftermarket parts. When will the aftermarket catch up?

As I mentioned in another post, the market will eventually dictate the price based upon the supply/demand curve. The XO-1 came out with an MSRP of $1099 but now around $799. When the price dropped a lot of XO-1 owners lost their minds.

There will be those who feels this truck fits what they want and they will lighten their wallet. There are those who deem it to be a waste and they'll look for something else. Everyone has the right to spend their hard-earned dollar the way they want and to argue opinions gets one nowhere.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    It's to each their own. The arguments based upon personal opinion are relatively the same every time Traxxas introduces a new vehicle - just insert the vehicle name in the blank. Complaining about the MSRP. Whining it is not what they wanted. Wishing for their "perfect" truck for Traxxas to make and that they may as well hold their breath. Comparing it to a Losi, Arrma, HPI and everything else out there. Speculating on what will break. How to outfit aftermarket parts. When will the aftermarket catch up?

As I mentioned in another post, the market will eventually dictate the price based upon the supply/demand curve. The XO-1 came out with an MSRP of $1099 but now around $799. When the price dropped a lot of XO-1 owners lost their minds.

There will be those who feels this truck fits what they want and they will lighten their wallet. There are those who deem it to be a waste and they'll look for something else. Everyone has the right to spend their hard-earned dollar the way they want and to argue opinions gets one nowhere.
    Well said!

Personally, I can't wait to pick one up asap! I don't care if the price drops later...everything gets cheaper over time, not just Traxxas Cars.

I-phones are a good example!

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post

You're right, it is to each their own. Maybe you should read what you wrote. I don't know if it's because you are a moderator or just that type of person, but you're the one who said "it's to each their own" and then criticized the people who aren't totally stroking the new truck. I am aware that this is a traxxas ran page, but I didn't think it was a problem to debate pros and cons on a new product coming out. Is that a problem with you personally or is that a problem with traxxas?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast