Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New E maxx!! ?

RC Competitor

New E maxx!! ?

Well maybe,,, Is the new Maxx the E max replacement?

Yes, it looks like it. It's a full 1/8 size.

https://traxxas.com/products/landing/maxx/

EDIT: It looks more 1/8 than 1/10 to me
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 09-23-2019 at 12:31 PM.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

Its 1/10 scale. Not quite as big as a eMaxx, almost as big. A lot more power.
    Slash 4x4 lcg(heavily modded), Telluride(modded)gone, TCP, Monster Buggy, Latrax SST(heavily modded), Spartan, "My Summit" pic of that posted in the gallery........and some other things.

RC Qualifier
    Just saw the video on YouTube from traxxas!
    Im very curious and excited.
    Seems like a new e maxx but i think it’s not that big since the wheels is only 2.8" that we find on stampede, but with a High profile tires.
    Plastic drive shafts from the 1/10 serie, but e revo 2.0 diffs.

Could it be more like a 1/9 not as a stampede and not like a e maxx?
    Last edited by Ray87; 09-23-2019 at 01:35 PM.

RC Champion
    Sizes are confusing these days, I just hope it handles better than the emaxx did. Looks amazing and definately on my list.
    2wd Slash VXL, 2wd Slash 9t , E Maxx 2200kv ,Trx4

RC Qualifier
    Though for about 525 street price, I’m not sure if I can justify it over an Erevo.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    Well maybe,,, Is the new Maxx the E max replacement?
    Id say its definitely the replacement for the emaxx

Emaxx wheelbase was 13.2 The new Maxx wheelbase is 12.9.

Its not as wide as the emaxx but a set of wide offset wheels and your right there

Seen it posted in the Xmaxx forum. It looks nice.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...axx-1-10-scale!!!
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

Well, the upgraded 1/10th scale MAXX is here. https://traxxas.com/products/landing/maxx/ There was no replacement for that electric powered MAXX… The upgraded MAXX is nice!
    Last edited by maximum; 09-24-2019 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nixhex32 View Post
    Its 1/10 scale. Not quite as big as a eMaxx, almost as big. A lot more power.
    I don't know my friend. I don't see how a 4s system can be more powerful than a 6s system. A person could (IMO) make a case for more usable power, but not more power. For the life of me, I don't know why Traxxas didn't make the Maxx a 6s truck like the new ERevo. They already had the design with the Xmaxx. All they would of had to do is shrink the Xmaxx down to the size of the Emaxx or Maxx, and give it the Revo's exact same drivetrain. That way a Traxxas customers would have the choice of using 4s or 6s like they do with the Emaxx, Xmaxx and new ERevo. The way they have it now you're corn holed into using 4s only. Oh well, you win some...you loose some.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 09-28-2019 at 02:14 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I don't know my friend. I don't see how a 4s system can be more powerful than a 6s system. A person could (IMO) make a case for more usable power, but not more power. For the life of me, I don't know why Traxxas didn't make the Maxx a 6s truck like the new ERevo. They already had the design with the Xmaxx. All they would of had to do is shrink the Xmaxx down to the size of the Emaxx or Maxx, and give it the Revo's exact same drivetrain. That way a Traxxas customers would have the choice of using 4s or 6s like they do with the Emaxx, Xmaxx and new ERevo. The way they have it now you're corn holed into using 4s only. Oh well, you win some...you loose some.
    Traxxas doesnít yet make a 6s battery pack, and itís reasonable to assume the Maxx set up is cheaper to produce and run with one battery, one servo, 4 shocks, versus the twin battery, twin servo, 8 shock Emaxx brushless. 4s is a handful in a car the size of a slash 4x4, 6s would be akin to running 8s in an E Revo 2.0.

RC Racer
    At like 2:30 he compares to T-Maxx

https://youtu.be/75EWa9K0HYA

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Pic from vid

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Traxxas doesnít yet make a 6s battery pack, and itís reasonable to assume the Maxx set up is cheaper to produce and run with one battery, one servo, 4 shocks, versus the twin battery, twin servo, 8 shock Emaxx brushless. 4s is a handful in a car the size of a slash 4x4, 6s would be akin to running 8s in an E Revo 2.0.
    A slash 4x4 is 6-7 lbs in stock form. This thing is pushing 10lbs. Just based on my experience from all my vehicles, I have a few different brands from 10th scale to an Xmaxx, that thing is really heavy to be as ReglarGuy said corn holed with 4s on that stock system. I know personally I wouldn't be able to keep it running cool. If you ran 6s in a 10lb truck with a 3670 motor it wouldn't last long for me. I feel like the truck would be perfect for someone that just likes to keep things stock and isn't looking to "overpower" everything, and not get too crazy with it. That is not me, so it doesn't really interest me. The layout alone is just to restricting. I think they did include some nice features like the 16mm shocks. With that being said, I just don't see enough to warrant the price tag. Similar vehicles in that price range are 6s capable, have full metal drivelines and get you alot more for your money. If they priced it right, maybe 429.99$ msrp, sell realistically for 399.99$ they'd be selling out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The truck is not for you. It may be what someone else was looking for and fits their wants.

As for price, let the market determine that. If it is too expensive then the price will adjust based upon supply/demand. One example was the XO-1 which was around $1k when it came out; now look where it is at.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    The truck is not for you. It may be what someone else was looking for and fits their wants.

As for price, let the market determine that. If it is too expensive then the price will adjust based upon supply/demand. One example was the XO-1 which was around $1k when it came out; now look where it is at.
    You are right. After the last post I realized that I was kind of ranting about it. Not for me. I'll quit being the debbie downer.

Traxxas doesn’t yet make a 6s battery pack, and it’s reasonable to assume the Maxx set up is cheaper to produce and run with one battery, one servo, 4 shocks, versus the twin battery, twin servo, 8 shock Emaxx brushless. 4s is a handful in a car the size of a slash 4x4, 6s would be akin to running 8s in an E Revo 2.0.
    I hear what you're saying, but with double battery trays guys like me could of used their pre-owned 2 x 2s for 4s or 2 x 3s for 6s. Considering your point of expense, Traxxas could of used 4 bigger shocks instead of 8 smaller ones, and 1 bigger servo instead of 2 smaller ones. Like I said, they did it with the new ERevo, and bought it in with a reasonable price tag. They should of done it with this new Maxx too.

As it stands now, guys like me have to either use one pre-owned 3s (boring) or invest in 4s with this new Maxx. The new Maxx is okay if your just starting out in RC with a new Maxx, or if you're more experienced and just happen to have a 8s Xmaxx. But if you're like me, a experienced person who has already invested in 3s batteries for 6s running, buying 4s batteries for one (single battery tray) 4s Maxx is a bigger jump and expense than the other two groups.

(IMO) it would of been better for the Maxx to of had double battery trays. This would of made it easy for all three (above mentioned) groups to make a small jump to owning a Maxx. As it stands now, though, it's just an easy jump for two out of the three groups. The third group (my group) was kind of forgotten about. That's okay, I'll just hang on to my Emaxx. It's still a great truck to have fun with.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 09-29-2019 at 04:24 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I hear what you're saying, but with double battery trays guys like me could of used their pre-owned 2 x 2s for 4s or 2 x 3s for 6s. Considering your point of expense, Traxxas could of used 4 bigger shocks instead of 8 smaller ones, and 1 bigger servo instead of 2 smaller ones. Like I said, they did it with the new ERevo, and bought it in with a reasonable price tag. They should of done it with this new Maxx too.

As it stands now, guys like me have to either use one pre-owned 3s (boring) or invest in 4s with this new Maxx. The new Maxx is okay if your just starting out in RC with a new Maxx, or if you're more experienced and just happen to have a 8s Xmaxx. But if you're like me, a experienced person who has already invested in 3s batteries for 6s running, buying 4s batteries for one (single battery tray) 4s Maxx is bigger jump and expense than the other two groups.

(IMO) it would of been better for the Maxx to of had double battery trays. This would of made it easy for all three (above mentioned) groups to make a small jump to owning a Maxx. As it stands now, though, it's just an easy jump for two out of the three groups. The third group (my group) was kind of forgotten about. That's okay, I'll just hang on to my Emaxx. It's still a great truck to have fun with.
    Here is the thing though, the third group probably would be better served by the E Revo anyway if running 6s is a high priority. Traxxas already has a dual battery tray 4/6 s monster truck, so having another one is going to yield less new customers than paying attention to people who are not yet invested in multiple 2/3s batteries, but rather ready to step up from a slash 4x4 to something more robust, but not as expensive to run as an E Revo or UDR or even X Maxx.

My first reaction when I saw the Maxx was literally “oh come on” because I just built a monster sl4sh with 4s and once all the upgrading of shocks, axles, Servo, wheels , etc are done, I would have been no worse off than my Tekno MT410 build cost wise and get far more durability and performance, and the Maxx is everything a monster slash should have been at half the cost of a properly built monster Sl4sh.

A dual battery set up will require a bigger chassis pan, longer travel suspension, and by the time you are done making the drive train durable enough and handling stable enough for 6s, it will overlap too much with the e Revo, in my opinion.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 09-29-2019 at 04:32 AM.

Here is the thing though, the third group probably would be better served by the E Revo anyway if running 6s is a high priority. Traxxas already has a dual battery tray 4/6 s monster truck, so having another one is going to yield less new customers than paying attention to people who are not yet invested in multiple 2/3s batteries, but rather ready to step up from a slash 4x4 to something more robust, but not as expensive to run as an E Revo or UDR or even X Maxx.
    I agree that the Traxxas marketing strategy is probably as you say: 4s = Maxx, 6s = ERevo, and 8s = Xmaxx. I also can get my arms around guys coming up from Stampedes and Slashes and going to a Maxx for 4s and Revo for 6s. Try, however, to look at this from a Emaxx point of view.

Most Emaxx owners (if they are like me) don't care for the Revo, so the new 6s Revo isn't really an option. Again, looking at this new Maxx from an Emaxx point of view, it would of been better to have the Revo as a 4s machine and the Maxx a 6s machine.

In a perfect world (for everyone) it would of been better to have both the Maxx and Revo 6s machines. That's what Traxxas offered before. Looking at this, again, from a Emaxx point of view Traxxas took a step back by offering a 4s Maxx rather than two steps forward by not offering both (the Maxx and Revo) as two updated 6s machines.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 09-29-2019 at 05:18 AM.

RC Qualifier
    In a perfect world (for everyone) it would of been better to have both the Maxx and Revo 6s machines. That's what Traxxas offered before. Looking at this, again, from a Emaxx point of view Traxxas took a step back by offering a 4s Maxx rather than two steps forward by not offering both (the Maxx and Revo) as two updated 6s machines.
    My entirely outsider guess is that the Emaxx sales dwindled at the end as E-Revo sales stabilized. The Maxx architecture seems to be prepping then market for the next iteration of 4wd 1/10 platforms across the board, the tub design address a lot of the chassis flex that made products like the vg racing brace so popular, the large shocks dwarf even the GTRs. Yet it still breaks down into front, rear, and chassis assemblies the same way as a Sl4sh, and the telescopic driveshafts will make implementation on brushed model cost effective.

Again itís an entirely outsider perspective.

My entirely outsider guess is that the Emaxx sales dwindled at the end as E-Revo sales stabilized.
    Like you say, us being outsiders and all, who knows for sure. I got to believe that Traxxas had their reasons. Now, whether they're good or not, only time will tell. In the past, Traxxas has done some really great things for the hobby, maybe this will work out too. It's just a shame the new Maxx is not nearly as mod friendly as the Emaxx was. That way Traxxas and guys like me could have their cake and pastrami sandwiches too.

If you get the chance to drive one you will see. I had a couple emaxxs, when the first gen came out I got one and modded it for track use. We would have 4-6 at a local track. This truck is a ton more fun to drive and the power is eye opening.

Last edited by Double G; 09-30-2019 at 11:16 AM. Reason: hmmm
    Slash 4x4 lcg(heavily modded), Telluride(modded)gone, TCP, Monster Buggy, Latrax SST(heavily modded), Spartan, "My Summit" pic of that posted in the gallery........and some other things.

RC Racer
    This is not the replacement for the Emaxx. In the video Im linking below, the Traxxas employee says it is literally a 1/10 Xmaxx and that producing a smaller Xmaxx is something they have wanted to do for a long time. Anyhow, enjoy the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKs2CVX9E6E

RC Enthusiast
    Is it the same size of a E-Maxx or no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stopped by my (LHS) yesterday to order a few parts, and seen the new Maxx...very nice. For sure, it's not something I would want to give up my Emaxx for, but I thought Traxxas did a really nice job with it. It's definitely smaller than a Emaxx and the old ERevo, but it definitely looks to be more rugged too. Even though I'm not a big fan of having a setup with the battery tray on one side and the electronics on the other side, doesn't mean I can't appreciate the fact that Traxxas made a nice little truck there with its' new Maxx. From what I seen (and played with) people who get it will be very happy with it.

I stopped by my (LHS) yesterday to order a few parts, and seen the new Maxx...very nice. For sure, it's not something I would want to give up my Emaxx for, but I thought Traxxas did a really nice job with it. It's definitely smaller than a Emaxx and the old ERevo, but it definitely looks to be more rugged too. Even though I'm not a big fan of having a setup with the battery tray on one side and the electronics on the other side, doesn't mean I can't appreciate the fact that Traxxas made a nice little truck there with its' new Maxx. From what I seen (and played with) people who get it will be very happy with it.
    I already have my name on an orange one!

I am set to pick up my TRX-6 today!

Too bad they didn't get any Maxxs.

I think you'll like it a lot. For the guys who have worked out the bugs with their Emaxx's, I think they would be a little disappointed. It's a really nice truck, though, and I think you'll have good luck with it.

RC Qualifier
    The raised portions above the shock mounts should make drilling small holes to add proline type mounts and then aftermarket bodies a cinch, hopefully all those 13 inch wheel base MT bodies don’t rub with mt tires too much. Also, perhaps Nomad or Yeti cages ala Tekno DB48.3 builds?
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 10-02-2019 at 04:19 PM.

RC poster
    I am the only one who is a bit confused and worried about the fact that the Maxx only have one battery? and 3s or 4s. I mean it's almost the size of the E-Revo 2.0. It's almost the same weight 4.04kg compared to the E-Revo 2.0 5kg. Yet it only has 1 battery, the biggest size that can fit is the 5000 mah 4s. So this means, that it will have what? half the run time of the E-revo 2.0 which clocks in about 20 min or so. So the Maxx will run 10min ? this is a disaster if this is the case. But i do not see any way around it.

RC Qualifier
    That’s nearly a full kg less, that is quite a weight difference on something that size. ( it is still significant and heavy enough though, so I understand your concern ).

RC Competitor
    HighTower84, there are batteries larger than 5000mah that will fit this truck. I have a 7200mah that fits and pretty sure I saw an 8000mah that will also fit.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by crazycd1 View Post
    HighTower84, there are batteries larger than 5000mah that will fit this truck. I have a 7200mah that fits and pretty sure I saw an 8000mah that will also fit.
    But those are 3s are they not? or can you get bigger than 5000mah in 4s ?

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower84 View Post
    I am the only one who is a bit confused and worried about the fact that the Maxx only have one battery? and 3s or 4s.
    Nope, in one of my above replies I mentioned that the 1 side battery, 1 side electronics is a design that is very restrictive to modifications. And, that if you wanted to increase/upgrade your batteries, ESC or motor you'd be hard pressed to do so. There just isn't enough real-estate to do much. To be happy with the new Maxx, a person is going to need to always be happy with keeping it stock. I think it's a very nice truck, but having to be completely dependent on using stock parts isn't the direction I want to go to with my RC vehicles.

RC Qualifier
    I wouldn’t get so hung up on 4s for this thing. I built an HCG Sl4sh desert buggy using the udr motor and esc, vg racing cage, mip axles, aluminum carriers + motor mount, proline 2.8 badlands mx28 tires, 17mm hot racing 10mm offset hubs, the works. The thing weighs a ton. On 4s there is so much power to spare it’s ridiculous. This is a 2400kv versus the 2200kv from the udr motor, so with proper gearing gearing it should be more than fine on 3s

RC Qualifier
    Nope, in one of my above replies I mentioned that the 1 side battery, 1 side electronics is a design that is very restrictive to modifications. And, that if you wanted to increase/upgrade your batteries, ESC or motor you'd be hard pressed to do so. There just isn't enough real-estate to do much. To be happy with the new Maxx, a person is going to need to always be happy with keeping it stock. I think it's a very nice truck, but having to be completely dependent on using stock parts isn't the direction I want to go to with my RC vehicles.
    Nothing a dremel, foam padding, Velcro straps and some 6s capable Tekin esc and motor can’t fix, since you sound pretty keen on modifying things. SMC makes some 6s batteries that a just a few mm wider than the stock battery tray.

RC Competitor
    4 cell batteries. They just are not Traxxas brand, they are from other sources. SMC makes a 4 cell 7200mah pack that fits per one of the videos on youtube. He claimed over 1/2 hour runtime with it.
    Last edited by crazycd1; 10-03-2019 at 03:08 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by crazycd1 View Post
    4 cell batteries. They just are not Traxxas brand, they are from other sources. SMC makes a 4 cell 7200mah pack that fits per one of the videos on youtube. He claimed over 1/2 hour runtime with it.
    That is good news indeed. Makes me slightly less worried!

RC Competitor
    That is good news indeed. Makes me slightly less worried!
    Same here! I already have that battery in hand (it's on sale right now) and my name on the list at my LHS for a blue or orange Maxx!

RC Competitor
    I am the only one who is a bit confused and worried about the fact that the Maxx only have one battery? and 3s or 4s. I mean it's almost the size of the E-Revo 2.0. It's almost the same weight 4.04kg compared to the E-Revo 2.0 5kg. Yet it only has 1 battery, the biggest size that can fit is the 5000 mah 4s. So this means, that it will have what? half the run time of the E-revo 2.0 which clocks in about 20 min or so. So the Maxx will run 10min ? this is a disaster if this is the case. But i do not see any way around it.
    Hopefully you understand that 2-5000mAh 3s batteries in an E-Revo will be basically the same run time as 1-5000mAh 4s battery in the Maxx. The 2-3s batteries act as one 6s battery. You don't add the 5000mAh together.

As has been said, SMC makes a 4s, 7200mAh battery that fits perfect. I would think other options would come out too.

I wouldnít get so hung up on 4s for this thing. I built an HCG Sl4sh desert buggy using the udr motor and esc, vg racing cage, mip axles, aluminum carriers + motor mount, proline 2.8 badlands mx28 tires, 17mm hot racing 10mm offset hubs, the works. The thing weighs a ton. On 4s there is so much power to spare itís ridiculous. This is a 2400kv versus the 2200kv from the udr motor, so with proper gearing gearing it should be more than fine on 3s
    That's not a fair comparison. You are talking about a 4275 motor compared to a 3670. That is a big difference in motors. After thoroughly looking over the Maxx and trying to not be a skeptic, I think as long as you can fit a 4070 or 4270 motor in it I see it being a solid truck. A little over priced but solid. Anymore run time than 20 minutes or so on a 10lb truck, running aggressive gearing, in the summer months you'd really be pushing the limits of that 2400kv 3670. The problem isn't going to be performance, or lack thereof, it will be heat. That's how I look at any RC I'm considering. Can I put a bigger motor in when or if I start having heat issues? For some they have enough discipline to keep temps down on stock systems. Other people wanna rip it all pack long and not have to worry about temps. No dought the thing performs, more of a question of how reliable that performance is before the degrees creep into the danger zone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast