RC Enthusiast

J concepts carvers

I used to race stadium trucks years ago, and ribbed front tires were the norm. I was wondering why I never see short course trucks utilize them for racing. J concepts makes a set (carvers) and I was wondering if anybody runs them, and how well do they help with your steering. It seems like a no brainer to me...

RC poster
    I wish I could answer your question. However, I race in Texas about 4 months out of a year and I just put a set of Carvers up front on my LCG brushless Slash. I run a similar tire up front on an Associate T4.

Quote Originally Posted by Username for me View Post
    I used to race stadium trucks years ago, and ribbed front tires were the norm. I was wondering why I never see short course trucks utilize them for racing. J concepts makes a set (carvers) and I was wondering if anybody runs them, and how well do they help with your steering. It seems like a no brainer to me...
    While popular back in the day for stadium trucks, and still used occasionally today for them, they are specifically banned for use on short court trucks in the ROAR Rules - see below;

"8.10.12.6.1 Use of ribbed front tires is inconsistent with a category that has achieved
    most of its popularity on the basis of scale appearance. Therefore, ROAR
    has decided not to allow use of this type of tire on this basis. Ribbed front
    tires and "dashed" ribs will not be permitted. The rules will favor scale tread
    patterns, but the front tires must at least feature a tread pattern that's
    consistent with those used on the rear of the truck."

While this won't matter at most club level racing, most guys in the SCT class have just accepted it over the years and choose not to run them at all.
    Knowledge gained is lost forever if not passed on.

RC Enthusiast
    I guess that makes sense why they are outlawed.
    I still am going to try a set out since my backyard track isnt sanctioned by ROAR I think my biggest problem is my truck pushes or understeers in the corners if on throttle. I think ribbed fronts should help alot.

Not all tracks even use ROAR standards for every race.