RC poster

Rookie question on relays

Got a rookie question on how these receivers work, and how to instal a relay.
    I have a E-Revo 2.0 with the simple 2-channel transmitter (and a TRX-4 Tactical).
    I want to instal a simple fan (GPM Racing) that connects directly to the battery (via an adaptor).
    But I don't want to connect it that way, I'd like it to come on when I power up the car (not when I connect the jst connector at the battery adaptor). Like my LED's come on in my Tactical (simple TRA8028 plugged into a receiver slot). Turn on the car's ESC and the lights come on.
    I've seen some relays out there that can be 'controlled' by the transmitter via a channel on the receiver.
    Since I only have a 2-channel transmitter, but 5 slots in the receiver, how would (let's say channel 3 or 4) work if I plug that really into it? Will the relay simply come on when I turn on the car (car's ESC) or nothing at all?

RC Enthusiast
    Plugging the fan directly into a free slot on your receiver will result in the fan turning on when you turn on the esc (probably the result you want). Depending on the power draw, I've seen fans cut out when pulling the throttle (too much amp draw leaves none for the fan). If you already have the fan at hand, why not try it out and then decide if you want a separate power source?
    E-Revo 2.0
    E-Revo VXL Brushless 1/16

RC poster
    Tried that last night, worked. But the fan turns pretty slow at 6-7 VDC.
    But it answered my question, when the ESC fires up the receiver there will be power at the empty channel slot and therefore flip on the relay (so the fan can run off of the battery, a greater voltage/supply for the fan).