RC poster

2.5 and proline trencher 2.8's

I'm new to the RC Nitro world and I picked up a Jato 2.5 for basically nothing. It came with a set of Proline Trencher 2.8's mounted on wheels. He also told me that when he used the that he kept popping glow plugs so he put the stockers back on.
    My question is are these tires too big for the truck? I am assuming that he was popping the plugs from the engine getting to hot because the wheels/tires are too heavy. Am I correct in this?

RC Qualifier
    Tires directly have nothing to do with glow plugs dying. Running bigger tires without re-gearing can cause the motor to run hotter. Gearing for the difference in tire size will help with engine temps. Your assumption about overheating without changing the gearing is correct.

Personally, I really like those tires on my jato, but I never ran them on it when it was nitro. I ran 1/8th buggy adapters with proline badlands on it back then.

What @grizzly03 said is accurate. Without regearing for the larger tires, you would likely run hot.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    What size gear do you recommend? Also is there a book out there that walks through how to work on these things. I’m a capable mechanic with full size cars.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jon.smith76063 View Post
    What size gear do you recommend? Also is there a book out there that walks through how to work on these things. I’m a capable mechanic with full size cars.
    I’d search on this site for a Jato manual. It should have a general tubing guide. Hopefully some else on here has a good tuning guide they can share a link to. I’m experienced with electric RCs and have Ben and aircraft mechanic for 17 years and tinker on on own bikes and full size cars. However, like you I’m new to nitro RCs.
    This guide, along with advice on here was helpful to me to set up my 2.5 T Maxx.
    Hope this helps with your Jatohttps://traxxas.com/support/Factory-Carburetor-Settings-TRX-25-25R-and-33
    And by the way. The 2.8 Trenchers are a great tire ,I ran them on a Brushless Rustler, and I needed to come down to a smaller pinion from stock.
    Idk what stock gearing on your Jato is, but start with a couple of teeth down from stock possible a tooth or so up on the spur, as well. And tune according to that chart I linked .

What size gear do you recommend? Also is there a book out there that walks through how to work on these things. Iím a capable mechanic with full size cars.
    Looks like stock is 22/54, which to me was a bit tall anyway. I'd drop down to an 18T bell and see how that does. Keep in mind, different size bells may take different size bearings, so check the parts list to see what it needs. It's listed in there.

I think I ran a 16T with 1/8th buggy tires on mine and it was still faster than I could handle offroad at WOT.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Qualifier
    What size gear do you recommend? Also is there a book out there that walks through how to work on these things. Iím a capable mechanic with full size cars.
    Finally tested out my jato project. I have my jato geared 18/56 running Proline Badlands MX28 with the TRX3.3 engine. No overheating issues with that gearing running in grass for me. Still plenty fast!
    No chilton repair manual for these little guys, LOL. Need to look at exploded views and owners manual. Youtube has some good videos that can help.