RC Competitor

Is Frequent Charging Bad?

I charge my Sl4sh's 5800mah ID 2s every time I get done with it. I usually charge it on balance mode, though I try to run it every 1-2 days

Just wanted to know if I'm doing any harm?

Onyx
    I'm Just A Guy With A Sl4sh

If you'll use it before the end of the following day, then it's ok to charge of after using it...as long as you allow it to cool down first (at least 10-15min). If it'll be longer than that before you user it again, hold off charging.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Yeah that's general good practice. Only charge it to capacity if you are going to use it in the next 1 or 2 days like mentioned above. I have a hectic life so I had to upgrade my charger to something that would take my batteries from storage charge to full in a couple minutes. I could charge that 5800mah 2s from storage to full in about 5 minutes, so what I do works for me. What you're doing is fine if it works for you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It should be fine for 1-2 days at full charge.

Do remember that lipos cells suffer the most stress at charge levels over 90% and under 10% and the least stress at 50%. So if you have the time it is best to charge to storage level (3.8v per cell - 50%) then fully charge just before use.

I put mine to storage charge after every run and charge them the morning just before I go run. Even if I'm going to run the next day. I don't like letting them sit overnight at full or empty.

Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    I could charge that 5800mah 2s from storage to full in about 5 minutes, so what I do works for me. What you're doing is fine if it works for you.

What packs and what amperage are you charging them up at? Just curious. Even at 2C, my 3S 5000mah packs take 15-20 minutes from storage. That's on the charger that I can do that on (2x20a/2x200w). On my 4x100w/4x10A, they only charge at around 8A because the charger hits the wattage limit, then it takes 25-30 minutes on it.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I put mine to storage charge after every run and charge them the morning just before I go run. Even if I'm going to run the next day. I don't like letting them sit overnight at full or empty.

What packs and what amperage are you charging them up at? Just curious. Even at 2C, my 3S 5000mah packs take 15-20 minutes from storage. That's on the charger that I can do that on (2x20a/2x200w). On my 4x100w/4x10A, they only charge at around 8A because the charger hits the wattage limit, then it takes 25-30 minutes on it.
    I don't have those particular batteries, but my 7400mah SMC 2s take about 9 minutes at 2c, my SMC 6700mah 4s take about 8 minutes at 2c and my SMC 9200mah 4s take about 15 minutes at 2c. My charger is 2x40a/2x1000w, and I run a 1000watt power supply.

Last edited by nickruger; 09-27-2019 at 09:11 AM.

I don't have those particular batteries, but my 7400mah SMC 2s take about 9 minutes at 2c, my SMC 6700mah 4s take about 8 minutes at 2c and my SMC 9200mah 4s take about 15 minutes at 2c. My charger is 2x40a/2x1000w, and I run a 1000watt power supply.

What charger are you running? Sounds like a beast!
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    What charger are you running? Sounds like a beast!
    Junsi iCharger 406 duo

Junsi iCharger 406 duo

+1 on the 406 Duo. Installed mine in a PRC case. My "backup" charger is a Hitec X2 AC Black Edition

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    Always storage charge! I’ve had batteries stored with a full charge puff in a matter of 12 hours, and those were high end packs.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    if you are using it within a day or 2 full charge is fine, but if you aren't going to use it immediately, you need to put it to storage mod. you can't leave a battery fully charged, it will puff, and kill it's lifespan