Thread: How cold ?

RC Qualifier

How cold ?

So I live in North Dakota and the weather is about to start getting North Dakota-ey. Anyway. I have read lots of threads on cold weather running of nitros. I’ve read tips like “run an aluminum can or sock over the cooling head” etc. I know I could also pre hear the the engine and/or start the engine inside.
    My question is, aside from the extra maintenance of trying to clean and maintain a truck after running in wet and or snow, what is everyone’s personal opinion when they put nitro rigs on the shelf for the season ?

I don't run in the winter. Late fall is the time to do tear-down maintenance and rebuild with clean fluids. Storage is on a 2x4 to keep the tires from flat-spotting and any potential spring sag from happening and the engine is cleaned, lubed and "sealed" from the elements. It sits in an unheated garage here in Minnesota where the average temp in it is around 35° but on the bitter cold days can see around 20°.

If you do run in winter the big thing is not to lean it out to get the temps up. Some wrap a sock and/or foil around the head to keep the temps up.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    I don't run in the winter. Late fall is the time to do tear-down maintenance and rebuild with clean fluids. Storage is on a 2x4 to keep the tires from flat-spotting and any potential spring sag from happening and the engine is cleaned, lubed and "sealed" from the elements. It sits in an unheated garage here in Minnesota where the average temp in it is around 35° but on the bitter cold days can see around 20°.

If you do run in winter the big thing is not to lean it out to get the temps up. Some wrap a sock and/or foil around the head to keep the temps up.
    I’ll probably do tear down and possibly paint a body for the T Maxx for the winter and maybe get some paddles for the 2wb SLash Baja Bug ( I’ve run my electric in the winter before... still a lot of extra maintenance to keep corrosion out of bearings+ the risk of snapping brittle parts, but it can still be fun )