RC poster

Best ESC upgrade from VXL-3s?

Looking for a new ESC to power a servo as high as 8.4V and capable of running at a 2S through at least 4S.

Or, is it a waste and the best thing to do to power an 8.4V servo is to just get a BEC and keep the VXL-3S and stock motor? The rest of Stampede VXL is mechanically upgraded to handle 4S.

Also, recommended ESC brands besides Castle Creations?

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Hobbywing max10 sct
    Will work with stock motor
    2s-4s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Awesome, I will check it out. I appreciate it.

RC Enthusiast
    The hobbywing max10 sct is a great upgrade for the stampede that can run 2 - 4s, but the BEC is only 6.0v or 7.2v

RC poster
    I see that. I'm now looking at the Protek RC270TBL which is lightening fast and high torque compared to the TRA2075 at both 6 and 7.4V.

RC Qualifier
    Get a savox

RC poster
    Another one that is just too much money is the MKS X6 HBL599 at $190. That one is impressive as well. 7.4V and sub .1sec/60 degrees is gonna be pretty amazing as well.

RC poster
    Yeah the SAVOX SB2292SG is even faster and stronger than the Protek for $10 cheaper. That's amazing.

RC Qualifier
    I would get a savox in the 70 to 120 range

RC poster
    So I need a 7.4v ESC or a BEC then to run at 7.4V. Or keep the VXL-3S and run it at 6V.

RC Qualifier
    If the servo can run 6.0v and 7.4 wouldnít you just be able to run it at 7.2 I really donít know the answer but I would like to know

RC poster
    Yeah the 2274SG is also great for $100.

RC poster
    I do not know. I'm under the impression from asking on Reddit that if my BEC is rated to max at 6.0V, it will perform at 6.0V. I would need a BEC or a new ESC with a higher built in BEC to set it to run at 7.4V

RC poster
    It can't physically run higher because the BEC on the ESC is limiting it to 6.0V is how I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by gauntlet21 View Post
    It can't physically run higher because the BEC on the ESC is limiting it to 6.0V is how I understand it.
    Yes. A servo rated for more than 6V can run on 6V, but can work better if the BEC goes higher than 6V. If it's rated for 7.4V and the BEC only goes to 7.2V, the servo will work but not at it's full potential, but will work.

That said, I won't spend that kind of money on servos anymore. I've been buying JX servos that put out decent numbers at 6V and most recently put one of these in my outcast to replace the savox 1210sg that died on me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RNFQYD2 Really good servo so far for $30. I'll likely get another one to put in my ERBEv2 to replace the JX DC-5821LV which is also a really decent servo for $20.

The max10 sct works fine in the stampede. I only run mine on 3S, but not with the 3100kv 3660SL motor I got in the combo. I'm now running a 3100kv hobbystar 3665 and it does a better job. Still runs on the warm side but has more grunt than the 3660SL.

If I were to do it over again, I'd likely go with something even stronger so it was less of a nuisance when bashing hard in the grass, but still run 3S in it because that's what I have. Really don't feel like dropping another $100+ on a couple packs just for my stampede. Whatever packs I run in my stampede, I also run in my converted ejato, which currently are some 7200mah 3S SMC packs I made out of old 2S packs.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Qualifier
    I would get an external BEC, and set it to whatever voltage you like. Bypass the receiver and you an then run it at 8.4vdc with no issue. If you are wanting a better motor/ESC, look into the Castle Creationsís MMX with the 2400kv motor. Well capable of running 2-4s and it has an adjustable BEC that is high amperage as well. Just some food for thought. If you want to keep the stock system, I would recommend getting an external BEC, and make an RX bypass harness. JMHO.

RC poster
    Is this the Castle setup you're talking about?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...145-03/p587669

RC poster
    This might be a dumb question but, the other servos I've been looking at are of standard size (LxWxH - 40x20x38mm). This Castle Creations Monster X ESC is 53 x 49mm. That somehow gonna fit or will I need to install it by drilling, tapping, cutting, etc?

RC poster
    I've watched a video or two on installing a BEC and have outfitted my tool kit with a high-quality soldering station, good hobby solder, electrical connectors, shrink wrap, etc. I've not soldered yet and I think I'll just take some spare wire I bought and do a few test runs before I would actually do any cutting on my car. I've watched many soldering videos so I've got a grasp of what to do. I am completely unfamiliar with what an RX bypass harness is, why I'd buy/make that, and how to install it. I'm committed to learning soldering and whatnot but haven't had a need to do so yet. I know a BEC installation would require it but that's partially why I'm contemplating the ESC upgrade (so that I wouldn't have to do that).

It is a lot more money for an entire ESC or ESC and motor (not to mention the servos that I've been discussing). On a side note, I also just fell in love with a Husqvarna automower that's in the ballpark of $2500 so although I've got some disposable income, I don't NEED to spend more on the ESC, motor, and servo than I did to get the Stampede VXL originally. I've probably dropped a few hundred already on suspension, axles, clutches, differentials, etc. so after the servo and whatever necessary components are needed to glorify the servo, I'll probably start saving for that mower. Hah

Quote Originally Posted by Kathrynheima View Post
    Thanks for the replies I didnt expect a unanimous for the Hobbywing, but there you go. I was hoping everyone would say use the Rooster . I dont know why, maybe its the size of the Rooster, but I just really wanted to use it in my Clod. Anyway, soldering is no problem, but I actually still have my harness from BITD when I ran whatever cheap ESC I could. They never usually lasted as long as I thought they should. Maybe because they were cheap and not rated for dual motors. Which is what led me to ask the question now. Better late than never. =D>
    What's the rooster? Got a link?
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Qualifier

Best ESC upgrade from VXL-3s?

Itís a Novak brushed crawler ESC. Here are a couple pics I found doing a quick search. Itís not available new any longer. I saw a couple of used ones. Itís appears to be an older brushed ESC.

I am no expert but as far as I know the Velineon motor can't work with a brushed only esc.

RC Qualifier
    Nope, a brushed motor ESC will not work with a brushless motor. Youíll need to find something else that is for sure. That is unless you are planning on getting a brushed motor setup which would really be a downgrade from the brushless setup.