RC Champion

Broken Throttle Return Spring

Hello guys,

I recently had the throttle return spring in my TQi transmitter break. The result was that the throttle trigger would not return to neutral when untouched making the truck difficult to drive and way too easy to accidentally take off unexpectedly. This is the second transmitter that I've had this problem with.

The first time the transmitter broke like this, I checked out several hobby shops and hardware stores looking for the right size spring but I couldn't find anything close. You really have to be careful not to use a spring that has too much tension because I'm sure that those little plastic tabs that attach to either end of the spring will not hold up to too much pulling. I eventually used a modified rubber band for awhile but it would break every few weeks and require another repair. I finally decided to get another transmitter and re-bind it to my trucks. That worked fine until the spring on the "new" transmitter broke.

This time I decided to email Traxxas support to try to find a way to source the right spring. The support rep at Traxxas was very helpful and a week later I had the new spring in my mailbox. I asked the rep if this was a common problem (since I had it happen to me twice in about 2 1/2 years) and he said it wasn't at all common. I'd tend to believe him because there wasn't much information available online from this kind of thing so I thought I'd post up my experience with it and hopefully it will help others.

Here is the spring they sent:

And a better idea of its size:

The screwdriver in this picture is pointing to the replaced spring:

Here is a slightly wider view of the transmitter & new spring:

RC poster
    I've had the same problem. This time the spring fell in the grass to never be found again. I'll give Traxxas a call. Thanks

RC poster
    Turns out Traxxas does not make that part, at least now. Fortunately I'm still under warranty so it's on it's way back to Traxxas now.

RC poster
    Just wanted to say thanks for posting these detailed photos. On Christmas day my sons new stampede transmitter had this issue almost immediately. I carefully opened the case and was never able to find the spring. However, with your pictures I was able to understand how it goes back together and found that a small hair elastic was perfect to fix it. It's working great again, and I must say even smoother with the elastic rather than the spring.

RC poster
    Anyone found a replacement yet? This just happened to me.

RC Qualifier
    A small rubber band would work as said in above post. Hit up the local Walgreens or Walmart or whatever store you have near you, and look for small rubber bands either for braces or in the hair section. If that won’t work, try the local hardware store for a similar length spring. Shouldn’t be that hard to make something work I wouldn’t think anyhow.