Thread: Servo

RC poster

Servo

I’m running a 2wd slash vxl and my servo went out. I’ve read bad reviews on traxxas brand servos. Are there any aftermarket servos with all metal gears? If so what do you recommend?
    Last edited by Gunslinger x11; 09-28-2019 at 11:14 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Savox 1231

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger x11 View Post
    I’m running a 2wd slash vxl and my servo went out. I’ve read bad reviews on traxxas brand servos. Are there any aftermarket servos with all metal gears? If so what do you recommend?
    I had my original Traxxas 2075 servo out of my 2wd Slash crap out after a couple months when I first got it 3 years ago. Taxxas replaced it for me and it’s lastes fine since. I do hear a lot of good things about the Savox 1231 mentioned above, but I haven’t run one myself. I also have heard good things about the cheap Annimos 20kg servo onaazon

Take a look at the specs and you'll see the Savox are pretty power hungry that many recommend using a glitch buster to avoid brown outs. Or install an external BEC to bump up the power supplied to the servo to get the quicker speed and higher torque.
    I have the Annimos on my Slash 4x4 just to see how it goes ($25 for high-speed and high-torque; something has to be cheap about it). Seems okay so far though I have to play with the trim just as much as with the Traxxas servo just to get it to track straight. We'll see about long-term use.

I do like Promodeler servos though. Have one in my nitro Revo for the past 1+ years and am happy with the build quality and strength; the power consumption seems to be just fine too and never had a brown out (though I did install a glitch buster just in case) while using the stock radio and a 5-cell nimh battery. John, Promodeler's owner, emailed me yesterday asking if I'm still running the servo and how it is holding up. Hey, if large-scale RC plane owners trust them on their very expensive aircraft, then they must be very good. I have been eyeing his selection to replace my Revo's throttle as well as both my Slash's steering servos.

When purchasing a servo, look at the speed and torque, but also take into consideration the current it uses at idle, no load and stalled.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Take a look at the specs and you'll see the Savox are pretty power hungry that many recommend using a glitch buster to avoid brown outs. Or install an external BEC to bump up the power supplied to the servo to get the quicker speed and higher torque.
    I have the Annimos on my Slash 4x4 just to see how it goes ($25 for high-speed and high-torque; something has to be cheap about it). Seems okay so far though I have to play with the trim just as much as with the Traxxas servo just to get it to track straight. We'll see about long-term use.

I do like Promodeler servos though. Have one in my nitro Revo for the past 1+ years and am happy with the build quality and strength; the power consumption seems to be just fine too and never had a brown out (though I did install a glitch buster just in case) while using the stock radio and a 5-cell nimh battery. John, Promodeler's owner, emailed me yesterday asking if I'm still running the servo and how it is holding up. Hey, if large-scale RC plane owners trust them on their very expensive aircraft, then they must be very good. I have been eyeing his selection to replace my Revo's throttle as well as both my Slash's steering servos.

When purchasing a servo, look at the speed and torque, but also take into consideration the current it uses at idle, no load and stalled.
    I am glad to hear someone reviewing the Annimos. I am VERY curious about a lot of these budget banggood and amazon products and while I have certain items I feel obligated to support legitimate quality hobby products ( from both LHS and legit online hobby dealers I also want to know which cheapo chinesium products actually work.
    However, it is hard to find legitimate, objective review for these products that arenít planted adverts for them

RC Enthusiast
    On my 4x4 Slash I went with the Power HD WP-23KG servo. Works fine, with plenty of power/speed for me.

Found the Annimos 20kg servo on Amazon for only $17 with a servo horn. I am going to get one for my Slash 2wd will see how it works.

https://www.amazon.com/ANNIMOS-Digit...9968156&sr=8-2

PRO version $24
    https://www.amazon.com/ANNIMOS-Stain.../dp/B07KTSVSSJ
    Last edited by zedorda; 10-01-2019 at 05:24 PM.

RC Competitor
    There are so many great servos out there to fit any budget. You can spend more than average and get a Savox 1258TG. POWERFUL and fast. Going a little below average ********* ******* *********s are amazing. I’m using a TS-99...something. Really good stuff.

RC Qualifier
    I have a Savox in the new HCG Slash I acquired yesterday and a stock Traxxas in my existing one, , a Hi Tec mini in my Merv and all stock Traxxas in my T Maxx. Only the Maxx feels like it could use an upgrade, but perhaps switching to a hump pack instead of 4AA cells.
    But overall, very happy with the Savox in a 2wd Slash

RC Qualifier
    https://www.youtube.com/iftibashir

RC Qualifier

RC Qualifier

For my complete series of videos on the Slash : https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...ur-Traxxas-4X4!

Don't forget that if you're only running 2S lipo you also have the option of running a high voltage capable servo straight off the battery which can give you more servo speed and torque than you'll need without taxing the ESC's BEC or having to buy a UBEC.

If you want an example, I've been using a high voltage Hitec HS-5565MH in my race Slash for about 5 years which is fast and strong (0.09s and 194oz/in on 7.4V). Not the cheapest servo option out there but it's performance is simply awesome.

https://hitecrcd.com/products/servos...5565mh/product

If you're not running 2S lipo you can just run it like a normal servo off the BEC but performance drops to 0.11s and 153oz/in which is still way better than the stock 2075. The high efficiency of the motor means it should never need a UBEC as despite its high power it has a relatively low BEC friendly maximum (at stall) current draw of only 2.7A.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car