RC Qualifier

1/16 Velineon drive train in a vintage pan car.

So, have this crazy idea floating around. I’m
    Throwing it out there to the community to see if anyone else thinks it is feasible or actually crazy.

When I acquired my 1/16 Merv the guy I traded with gave me an extra “bad” VXL3m esc with the spare parts. Traxxas customer service has told me on the phone they would replace this for the standard $45 service fee. Now currently the Merv has a 3rd party esc with the Velineon motor in it. It runs pretty well on 2s with this combo.
    I’d like to send the bad vxl3 in and use this in the Merv for no other reason than the mounting tabs fitting the chassis.

This led me to think “what would I do with the other 1/16 esc? I don’t have any other 1:16 vehicles. Then it hit me. I have a lot of old 1:12 Pan car parts laying around when when my dad and I raced in the 80’s. These cars usually ran on spec 540 sized motors with 4 Ni-Cd cells powering them ( my club ran 6with “modified” class brushed motors on oval tracks ).

These chassis are big simple and practically bulletproof. They are so simple there is almost nothing to break. More importantly they are LIGHT. I’m pretty sure an empty chassis without electronics weighs considerably less than a 1/16 off rod rigs turning ( relatively) bigger heavier rubber tires.

So, what does everyone think of resurrecting an old vintage pan car with modern ( mini) power plant?

RC Qualifier
    If say go for it and see what happens. I can see the transmission / gears on the pan car going out. Unsure how it's set up. So just guessing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    If say go for it and see what happens. I can see the transmission / gears on the pan car going out. Unsure how it's set up. So just guessing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    It is a 48pitch spur gear ( with ball bearing differential ) mounted to a solid axle. No transmission to break or strip per se. Practically bulletproof. Not only is this a strong set up, but I can just tighten the axle but I can tighten or loosen the axle
    Nut to allow some slippage, all the way down to locking it down to where it is a live axle rather than a diff ( if I wanted more of a spool/ locker affect for drag or drift.The chassis of the pan car is one sheet of carbon fiber.
    The whole thing with a body on it is only 434g with a servo mounted. So I estimate a little over 1/2KG with the motor esc and mini revo sized 2s pack.

Sounds good... maybe I should do that to my vintage Tamiya Porsche 956 RM. Mk. 5 pan car as well.

Found this pic on-line. My original body was destroyed back in the 80s!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Sounds good... maybe I should do that to my vintage Tamiya Porsche 956 RM. Mk. 5 pan car as well.

Found this pic on-line. My original body was destroyed back in the 80s!
    mine is an Assocated RC 12L . But it has a carbon fiber LTO oval chassis . However, the new school mini scale Brushless electronics are so small and light compared to a 540 Brushed motor and 6 NiCds I don’t think I’ll have a weight distribution problem. I Might be able to buy a Revo battery longitudinal like your stick pack is, but I would have to build a slight standoff to get it to not interfere with the the T -Bar suspension travel. I think I’ll probably have to just Velcro strap the battery as close to center line as I can get it on the left side and Esc& receiver on the right .
    Interesting enough, for a while I used to run a Porsche 962 body as well, even though I ran mostly oval, our club didn’t require nascar bodies for oval.
    The clapped out junk body I have for it right now is a 1/12 Nascar T bird of the 90s variety though .

Did you decide to do the project? Because I was hoping to see progression pics if possible.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Did you decide to do the project? Because I was hoping to see progression pics if possible.
    I did. But I’m going to have to send the Vxl3m in first. Once I have that I’ll probably couple it with “another brand” motor and source a radio for it . But I Will def post pics as I go .
    In fact, I might have to post some “before “ pics tonight after work .

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    In fact, I might have to post some “before “ pics tonight after work .
    Please do. This sounds like a cool winter project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro