RC Qualifier

Offset compensating A Arms.

Iíve been thinking about switching over to these solely for the reason of being able to buy whole sets of rear offset wheels. Has anyone made the switch to these? What are your thoughts ?

It would greatly help if you stated what A-arms you're considering.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    It would greatly help if you stated what A-arms you're considering.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    I was specifically referring to the RPM “offset compensation “ Arms . I was vague because I wasn’t sure if there are other manufacturers that make an offset compensating A arm as well. I know Pro Line has a whole Pro trac front end kit, but the RPM ones are just a bolt on A Arm that is a few mm off from stock so you can run Rear offset wheels at all 4 corners without the front sticking out further

Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    I was specifically referring to the RPM ďoffset compensation ď Arms . I was vague because I wasnít sure if there are other manufacturers that make an offset compensating A arm as well. I know Pro Line has a whole Pro trac front end kit, but the RPM ones are just a bolt on A Arm that is a few mm off from stock so you can run Rear offset wheels at all 4 corners without the front sticking out further
    In a matter of speaking, the Pro-Line ProTrac A-arms are "bolt-on". The 'kit' just happens to include not only all 4 A-arms, but also the appropriate offset wheels. You can buy just the A-arms, ignoring the rest, and select your own wheels.

Last edited by Panther6834; 09-30-2019 at 11:43 PM.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    Ok, cool. Good to know.
    So if you have tried the Pro Trac Kit, is the handling difference on a HCG chassis really noticeable? Or would one be better off going The A Arm only RPM route and only getting the change in offset the better way to go?
    I should probably specify I’m mainly casually driving in yards and parks and a little light bashing. This rig really isn’t a track machine.

I been using the RPM “offset compensation “ Arms on my Slash 2wd for years. They work great imo.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, cool. Good to know.
    So if you have tried the Pro Trac Kit, is the handling difference on a HCG chassis really noticeable? Or would one be better off going The A Arm only RPM route and only getting the change in offset the better way to go?
    I should probably specify Iím mainly casually driving in yards and parks and a little light bashing. This rig really isnít a track machine.
    The "kit" also has longer toe and camber rods which are also available separately. You might be able to lengthen your stock rods but I prefer the rod end thread engagement with the longer rods. If you use rear 2wd or 4x4 wheels instead of the ProTrac wheels it will give you a wider track which will help handling. I'd have to measure my trucks but I believe using the ProTrac wheels will actually give you a narrower track than stock, mostly to make a Slash R.O.A.R. legal but still improve handling characteristics because of more shock and camber adjustments with the ProTrac shock towers and A arms.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

For your application the RPM offset compensating arms will be perfect. They're a little too flexible for racing applications, but are amazingly resilient and tough for any bashing environment. They are a few millimeters wider than the ProTrac setup, which will also be an advantage for your intended purpose.

As an added bonus, as previously mentioned, your wheel selection is not only greatly increased, by using any 2wd Slash compatible rear wheel, or any 4wd Slash compatible wheel (front and rear), but these wheels will be available pretty much anywhere on the planet - for fairly cheap...
    Knowledge gained is lost forever if not passed on.

RC Competitor
    They work. That’s all there is to it. Being able to rotate tires front to rear is a bonus.

+1 for these arms.

I only wish Traxxas would make them that length to start with! They're high up my next generation platform wish list alongside a sealed diff, captured hinge pins, aluminium casters, bulkhead and motor plate.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolf View Post
    +1 for these arms.

I only wish Traxxas would make them that length to start with! They're high up my next generation platform wish list alongside a sealed diff, captured hinge pins, aluminium casters, bulkhead and motor plate.
    I agree. Those would all be great upgrades for a next gen platform. Do you think they’ll upgrade the 2wd platforms? They have done so much with their basic 2wd chassis and transmission set up over the years, including launching the SCT into popularity, but their innovation seems to have been in the bigger ticket platforms the last couple of years.

I agree. Those would all be great upgrades for a next gen platform. Do you think they’ll upgrade the 2wd platforms? They have done so much with their basic 2wd chassis and transmission set up over the years, including launching the SCT into popularity, but their innovation seems to have been in the bigger ticket platforms the last couple of years.
    I truly hope so but Traxxas's approach to developing platforms is very slow and evolutionary so I wouldn't expect any radical changes. I think the best we might be able to hope for is hopped-up Platinum versions (like Slash 4x4) of existing VXL models without radio gear. That said, Traxxas would need to expand its range of upgrades to address all the issues.

It's funny how Traxxas seem quite happy to not address design shortcomings and leave it to the aftermarket suppliers like RPM and STRC to fill the void. If Traxxas fixed these issues at source and/or offered their own upgrades at competitive prices, the aftermarket suppliers would struggle. As you suggest, I guess their priority lies elsewhere on the more expensive platforms.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolf View Post
    I truly hope so but Traxxas's approach to developing platforms is very slow and evolutionary so I wouldn't expect any radical changes. I think the best we might be able to hope for is hopped-up Platinum versions (like Slash 4x4) of existing VXL models without radio gear. That said, Traxxas would need to expand its range of upgrades to address all the issues.

It's funny how Traxxas seem quite happy to not address design shortcomings and leave it to the aftermarket suppliers like RPM and STRC to fill the void. If Traxxas fixed these issues at source and/or offered their own upgrades at competitive prices, the aftermarket suppliers would struggle. As you suggest, I guess their priority lies elsewhere on the more expensive platforms.
    Indeed, that said, with the rising popularity of no prep SCT conversion drag racing why not a 2wd on road car? It could be either a touring car like the 4tec or something like a factory made 2wd road car based off the Rustler/Bandit/ Slash transmission.
    Either way, on the existing models or something new, I agree that the factory would do well to offer the existing transmission with aluminum motor mount plate .