Thread: New Teton build

RC Enthusiast

New Teton build

I just picked up a new Teton and ordered some upgrades.

Brushless motor and esc (hobbywing quicrun), rally gearing, HR steel shafts.

I am excited to get started on this and will post pics once it is ready. Any advice is also welcomed.

RC Enthusiast
    Starting on the swap now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Success!. Wow thing thing really woke up. Very fast now.

RC Enthusiast
    Fits like a glove. Just had to drill out the pinion with a 3/32 bit. Others were saying there was modification needed on the motor plate, but my holes lined right up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks like a cool project. Considered buying one, but donít think Iíd use it much, being so small.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Qualifier
    looks nice might have to look on thefb market place for one to use for the winter

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Looks like a cool project. Considered buying one, but donít think Iíd use it much, being so small. .
    I wasn't sure how much I would use it either, but with the brushless power this thing is a lot of fun. Especially when I don't want to bring out the Slash 4X4. I can drive it in the house and my dog absolutely loves chasing it around.

Got the diffs shimmed and HR steel axles to help hold the power. It has held up great so far for me and is much faster than you would expect for the size.

RC poster
    Looks great! Any heat issues? Looking into doing the same. Iím a complete noobie here but am not completely mechanically handicapped so Iím hoping I can get it done. Did you simply double-side tape the power switch to the box?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsl324 View Post
    Looks great! Any heat issues? Looking into doing the same. I’m a complete noobie here but am not completely mechanically handicapped so I’m hoping I can get it done. Did you simply double-side tape the power switch to the box?
    No heat issues at all. I have ran very hard trying to see what temp I could get it to and was pleasantly surprised. The warmest I could get the esc with the infared gun is 110F. The warmest I could get the motor to is 160F. Per the spec sheet of the motor it should not go above 194F. And again, that was after running a full pack (2000MAH 35C Venom LiPo) very hard trying to "test" the system.

Yes I used double sided tape to attach the power switch. The quicrun 16bl30 esc comes with this tape in the box.

RC poster
    That sounds very promising. That’s it I’m ordering the quicrun today.

I read your post the other day about using the 14t pinion as it was much easier to drill out the hole. Anything else I should know? Was it easy to program the new esc? I’ve read about people purchasing programming cards and such for other combos. Any and all advice is much appreciated for this noob. Thanks again.

RC Enthusiast
    Nothing else I can think of besides the 14t pinion being quite a bit easier to drill.

Also I would recommend shimming your differentials if they have any side to side play in them. If not I could see them eventually stripping out with the added power of this system. Mine had some play in them and after shimming them with Associated part# ASC21141 they are nice and tight and I have not had any issues with them. If you need help with that I can walk you through it also.

I did not get the programming card. It was easy to program. If you don't mind counting beeps its super easy. And you don't really need to mess with the programming once you have it set where you want it. I don't set a drag brake or anything like that so the only thing I tweaked from default settings was the Low voltage cutoff range and the "punch" setting. But I actually ended up going back to the default punch setting lol.

If any questions come up while you are doing the swap don't hesitate to ask on here.

RC poster
    Default settings sound good. Lol

Do you recall how many shims were used on each side? I suppose it could also just be different case by case. As it comes in a pack of 4 should that be more than enough?

Lastly, I noticed in your parts photo that you also ordered the accompanying 54T spur. Did you install that spur or use the stock one?

I’ve got everything ordered already including the 54t spur and ordering the shims now. I can’t wait to get it all done. While the extra power sounds great I just want to get this thing as reliable and cool running as possible. Thanks again really for all the help. I’ll be sure to update once I get it all installed.

RC Enthusiast
    I used four in the rear and one n the front I think. I would get two packs. I used the stock 60 t at first and monitored temps. But then I put in the 54T to give it more top speed. Either will work but I like the 54T better

RC poster
    Finally got everything installed. I think I ended up using three in the rear and two in the front. Also accidentally launched the spur gear pin when reassembling and had to order a new center driveshaft just for the pin! Couldn’t find anywhere I could pick up just the pin. Waiting for parts is not very fun. But she’s back up and running and better than ever. Thanks again so much for all the help!

RC Enthusiast
    Hey no problem. I am glad you got it up and running. These things are a lot of fun with the quicrun combo for sure!