Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier Panther6834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    693

    "Laser Battle Scar" effect

    I know...the subject probably just threw more than a few people a "curve ball"...but, I'm serious. I'm also posting this on two other forum sites, in hopes of getting more replies.

    Anyway, I don't know if anyone in here has tried this, but...has anyone painted (or attempted to paint) something equivalent to "laser battle scars" on a vehicle? If so, can you share some photos, and explain how you were able to create the effect? I have an idea...call it a 'theme', if you will...for 2-3 vehicles, and there are two directions I can go with it - "new", or "battle hardened". While "new" would still be good, and is far easier to accomplish, "battle hardened" seems a much better, and more realistic, approach.

    So, has anyone successfully attempted something like this, and, if so, how'd you do it? Again, photos would be appreciated.

    ~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    N Dakota USA
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    I know...the subject probably just threw more than a few people a "curve ball"...but, I'm serious. I'm also posting this on two other forum sites, in hopes of getting more replies.

    Anyway, I don't know if anyone in here has tried this, but...has anyone painted (or attempted to paint) something equivalent to "laser battle scars" on a vehicle? If so, can you share some photos, and explain how you were able to create the effect? I have an idea...call it a 'theme', if you will...for 2-3 vehicles, and there are two directions I can go with it - "new", or "battle hardened". While "new" would still be good, and is far easier to accomplish, "battle hardened" seems a much better, and more realistic, approach.

    So, has anyone successfully attempted something like this, and, if so, how'd you do it? Again, photos would be appreciated.

    ~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    I’ve done this technique on an old X Wing model. I used airbrush with a thinned out black to make streaks . I also did weathering and faux panel lines with rivers on a Rustler body. That was themed like a WW2 warbird . What I did on the Rustler is probably most like what you are going for since I it on the inside of clear lexan. Then I painted the rest of the shell sliver and the weathering the panel lines/ rivers appears “above” the metallic skin color of the rear of the body.

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier Panther6834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    693
    Actually, my plan is paint the inside of the body using the colors of the body (so that it's still 'glossy'), then do the "battle scars" on the outside of the body (as they should have a somewhat 'flat' appearance).

    ~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    N Dakota USA
    Posts
    472
    I’ve also hear of people painting the inside of a body with a metal tone and the outside flat black, then, as the body get scratched up, the scratches appear as bare metal

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier Panther6834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    693
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    Iíve also hear of people painting the inside of a body with a metal tone and the outside flat black, then, as the body get scratched up, the scratches appear as bare metal
    Not what I'm trying to achieve.

    ~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    N Dakota USA
    Posts
    472
    I still think airbrush is the way to go. Paint the inside “normal “ body color of your choice then do the carbon scoring laser streaks. On top. If you don’t have access to an airbrush there are ways to sort of mimic the effect with regular spray cans. Just just a piece of or card stock. Shadow it over the spot you want a streak and mist the spray lightly . That way you get a slightly sharp line, but not a stripe as if you used masking.

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier Panther6834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    693
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    I still think airbrush is the way to go. Paint the inside ďnormal ď body color of your choice then do the carbon scoring laser streaks. On top. If you donít have access to an airbrush there are ways to sort of mimic the effect with regular spray cans. Just just a piece of or card stock. Shadow it over the spot you want a streak and mist the spray lightly . That way you get a slightly sharp line, but not a stripe as if you used masking.
    Back when I used to airbrush t-shirts, I used to use that exact same technique. Thanks for helping me "remember" it. Was a great way to create mountains (tear a few pieces of thin cardboard, so that each piece has a different "jagged edge", and you can create constantly different "mountains").

    ~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7,568
    Go to YouTube, type in "painting scale battle damage," watch, learn, and practice practice practice...
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier Panther6834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    693
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Go to YouTube, type in "painting scale battle damage," watch, learn, and practice practice practice...
    Thanks, Squeegie. Surprised I never thought of that. Guess I'm only half as smartAs my momma thinks I am...lol

    ~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •