Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hop ups

RC Qualifier
    Great to see the steel drive shafts are available for order! Just looked up the parts search for them too and Traxxas has now added pictures.

They indeed look like erevo2.0 style. Nice

https://traxxas.com/search?keyword=8950

RC Qualifier
    Lakeboy, did you get an estimated delivery date on the steel driveshafts? Just wondering how far away they are.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by boosta View Post
    Lakeboy, did you get an estimated delivery date on the steel driveshafts? Just wondering how far away they are.
    Traxxas shipped them the day after I ordered them. I am out of town for a week but I expect them when I get home.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome. Thatís good news mate. Thanks for getting back to me and canít wait to see how they go!

RC Qualifier
    I hadnít noticed these mount points on the arms previously. Could they be for mudguards?

That made me rethink the front mount point too. I originally thought it may be for an anti sway bar, but perhaps it may be for shock guards like the stampede 4x4? (combined with the shock mount screw)

Look forward to seeing what options keep coming...

RC Qualifier
    Original width toe links...

https://traxxas.com/search?keyword=8948

Wide Maxx toe links! Bring on the wide Maxx!

https://traxxas.com/products/search?keyword=8997

Also what would this be?

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8984

RC Qualifier
    Regarding the forthcoming 8940X hardened hinge pin set...

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8940X

Traxxas has obviously designed the C-Hubs and steering knuckles to work with straight kingpins and a retaining screw. (And it seems like the alloy C-Hubs may require those upgrade pins?)

But, Iíve been wondering how they are going to work with the kingpins as thereís no holes in the knuckles at the pin bottom to push them out.

So without a method to remove the pins they are going to be stuck in there once dirt works itís way in.

Then I noticed that the hop up pins have 4x47 for the upper inner and 4x22 for the kingpins, both 4mm longer than the stock pins.

Plus thereís 8 Ďretainersí listed in the description that Iíve been wondering about too.

So... Have Traxxas devised a method to retain the pins with a screw, while leaving the end of the pin protruding for easy removal?

Maybe theyíre holding back the picture of those pins so others canít copy them before theyíre released?

Looking forward to seeing what the solution is!

RC Qualifier
    Actually, just found the X Maxx uses a similar system. Not up on the X Maxx at all. So Iím guessing the Maxx will probably use a similar method.

Good to see the kingpins will have provision to come out easy. Was really wondering how that was going to be made possible.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/7743

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Actually, just found the X Maxx uses a similar system. Not up on the X Maxx at all. So Iím guessing the Maxx will probably use a similar method.

Good to see the kingpins will have provision to come out easy. Was really wondering how that was going to be made possible.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/7743

HR and Traxxas make aluminum to round
    Out a look. Iíd recommend screws just a bit
    Longer. Sucks when they disappear.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Qualifier
    I wonder if they are the same as the X Maxx? I just imagined the X Maxx would have wider pins?

Good point on the retaining screws. They supply a 3x8, but the C-Hub hole depth is 8mm. So as long as the retainer is 2mm+ thick a 3x10 should fit there.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I wonder if they are the same as the X Maxx? I just imagined the X Maxx would have wider pins?

Good point on the retaining screws. They supply a 3x8, but the C-Hub hole depth is 8mm. So as long as the retainer is 2mm+ thick a 3x10 should fit there.
    I would assume that too. Just google both exploded diagrams.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Qualifier
    Was too lazy to look it up before, but actually the X-Maxx has 4mm pins too.

Man that says a lot for how beefy the Maxx is!

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/7740

And uses the same method for the king pins...

RC Qualifier
    Talked to traxxas the guy I talked to said the wide kit will be out before the new year. He also said now u can use revo wheels and tires with the kit

RC Qualifier
    Thatís brilliant. Did he say whether you can sub in the erevo dogbones to the maxx steel CVDís with the wide arms?

RC Qualifier
    Nothing about that

RC Enthusiast
    I like the performance of the stock tires, but can anyone provide any details about the photos of the tires mounted to the Maxx in the SEMA(?) photo?

https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...ory-layout.jpg

RC Qualifier
    Probably tires there coming out with

RC Qualifier
    They look great hey! Hope they are long lasting.

Man those Traxxas c hubs and knuckles look good. Way better than the GPMs. So smooth.

The pin retainers are on the top too. Hadnít seen the high res version of that pic before. Thanks for posting.

RC Champion
    I ordered part 8654 aluminum wheel hubs. Not too sure how to install them though. There's a little set screw but it doesn't fit in the wheel hexes. Am I not seeing something?
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    MAXX

RC Qualifier
    Are you using them with the 8950x steel driveshafts? As those hexes are specific to the CVDs and wonít fit the stock plastic.

If so, the pin goes through the hub and axel first, then the set screw goes in the center of the axel from the outside, putting pressure on the center of the pin to retain it.

RC Champion
    I'm using whatever came stock. So plastic driveshaft are being used.
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    MAXX

RC Qualifier
    Those 8654 hubs are specific to the steel shafts. Keep them for when you upgrade but youíll need a different one for the stock shafts.

Part 5353x. Scroll up to see pics.

RC Champion
    Thanks boosta
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    MAXX

RC Qualifier
    Just found that the XO-1 17mm hubs seem to fit the maxx stock plastic driveshafts.

The only problem I can see stopping it working is the hub retainer is M4, where the Maxx needs M5. Other than that they seem a good fit.

If they could be made work they add a bit of offset too.

Does anyone know of a M5 barrel nut as a spare for any vehicle?

For reference hubs are part 6469, still need 5353 wheelnuts.

RC Qualifier
    Funnily Traxxas has taken down the listing for the 8997 wide Maxx toe links. Their phones were probably ringing off the hook with people chasing the rest of the wide conversion.

That 8984 transmission gear looks like a center diff replacement spool. That will be an interesting option if it can take the power. If the center diff is locked with 20M anyway, may as well use a spool and reduce rotating mass. Iím wondering how the plastic output splines hold up though. Maybe it needs to be used with a slipper?

Theyíve also added the 8983 gear shaft now too, which makes the spool make sense. A lot like the X-Maxx center diff outdrive system.

RC Qualifier
    Wide kit is now available in stores! 8995X. Doesnít seem to be online yet.

Looks great. Somewhere between Maxx and Erevo2 width by the looks...

But... What steel driveshafts do we use Traxxas???!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2367...4824432448337/

RC Enthusiast
    Of course this would happen not even 24 hours after I placed an order for the steel CVDs. However, one of the Facebook commenters claimed that the wide arm kit is compatible with the steel CVDs. If not, I'm going to be staying narrow. I've broken 2 driveshafts back-to-back on separate days a week apart. Both days were in the low 30s so it may have had a lot to do with the affect of cold air on the specific plastic being used.

RC Qualifier
    You could perhaps put a hold on the order mate? But then a wide steel driveshaft solution hasnít been heard of. I chatted to Traxxas support, as a lot of people are going to be in the same position as we are... and they had been given no information.

I must admit I went on somewhat of a roller coaster ride of emotions when first seeing the wide kit. We all knew the wide kit was coming, but personally I was really expecting it to be something significantly different, that took the Maxx into E-Maxx 2.0 territory.

So the initial excitement quickly turned to the bewilderment of why the Maxx wasnít just released with the wide kit in the first place.

As someone who likes trying to design things myself... I have a lot of faith in, and take a great deal of inspiration from the designers at Traxxas. They design awesome gear and generally have an excellent sense of balance and proportion, and I just canít believe they were the driving force behind releasing the Maxx so narrow???

My first reaction to seeing the Maxx was obviously ďAWESOME!Ē, but a close second was, ďwhy is it so narrow?Ē And a very prominent initial reaction from a lot of people was also, ďwhy does it roll over so easy, and what can I do to fix it?Ē That doesnít seem to be something that could possibly get past the design team... whoís goal, one would assume, is to make something good.

Seeing the actual wide Maxx conversion for the first time was revealing in that it just obviously looked like it should have from square one. Much more balanced. It wasnít the full Emaxx stance, but it just looked right for what you would expect the Maxx to be. It even looks to have more clearance than the 1/10 Stampede 4x4 now! :P

Then that set me to thinking, if the narrow arms roll so easy, and the wide Maxx seems so obviously right, why was the Maxx released narrow at all? Especially only to follow up so quickly with the wide arms... and extra especially, after the narrow steel CDVs?

I just cannot think of a single good reason why, and would genuinely like to understand how this is a positive experience for customers?

We have a timeline of narrow Maxx, narrow steel CVDs, wide arms, and presumably now wide steel CVDs. That is a heck of a lot of upgrades when it appears that there doesnít seem to be that much purpose to the stock narrow stance at all.

Iím not bashing Traxxas or the Maxx, I think theyíre both awesome, but that is a two way street, and I am genuinely questioning, why was all this necessary and, how this is a beneficial progression for customers?

When one buys a $550 new car and then spends an extra $120 on steel shafts, you generally donít experience a manufacturer making a minor change a month later that costs a further $170 in new arms and driveshafts, that only then takes the vehicle to what is obviously a good place to start.

Thatís my main point, I donít think I would have this question if the wide kit took the Maxx out wider and used existing E-Revo 2 shafts, but when the wide kit only takes the Maxx to an obvious good starting point, I really do question what was the point of the narrow arms at all?

Anyhoo!... What Iím thinking at the moment is that I could use the narrow parts to make a Maxx lite for my son. Maybe use the plastic center spool to shed some weight (if it holds up) and run 3S 5000mAh with a 4268 2650KV buggy motor I already have. That should lighten it up nicely, run cool, plus take some of the weight from the high CG making it more stable. Maybe add the Hot Racing +10mm hubs that get you halfway to the wide Maxx width anyway. Seems a good way to make the most of the investment in narrow parts and still get to build a Maxx Iím ultimately happy with.

RC Enthusiast
    I've been running my Maxx on 3S and in loose enough dirt that I haven't had too many issues with rollovers. Considering that I've been staying away from jumps over 3 feet, it's surprising to me that I've broken 2 driveshafts so easily. The first one really caught me off guard since I was driving on a smooth, dirt road. It could be that the driveshafts just don't like the cold. I only ordered 2 driveshafts from Traxxas and had hoped that with some reasonable driving it would take me several weeks (or more) to break another one. I never would have guessed it would be within 15 minutes after having replaced one. I figured that I just needed to commit to steel CVDs and head that direction. I never anticipated that the wide kit would appear so quickly.

I just received confirmation that my order with the steel drive shafts and 8654 wheel hubs is in transit. I suppose I could always just turn around and sell them, install my one remaining plastic driveshaft, order the wide kit and wait for the wide steel CVDs. I really like driving the Maxx, but with the bad luck I've been having with the driveshafts it's possible that a wide arm kit paired with plastic driveshafts is just going to lead me further down the road towards frustration. I'm better off accepting the consequences of being an early adopter, focusing on mastering narrow-stance driving and getting down with my yet-to-arrive 8950x driveshafts. Heck, it's entirely possible that the steel driveshafts may also have a short life with me. I broke a steel driveshaft on my X-Maxx within 2 weeks of owning it and I broke a driveshaft on my X-01 just last week. Do you hear a recurring theme here with me?
    Last edited by colbynobo; 12-19-2019 at 02:06 AM.

I'll be honest, I like the stock width of my Maxx. I only run on dirt though, but it drives awesome. I'm guessing they shipped with that to keep the stock XMaxx type proportions rather than an extra wide Truggy look.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Qualifier
    Your comment saying the Maxx wasnít the best on asphalt was one of the views I had in mind when writing my ďHi, my nameís Boosta and Iím a Traxxas addict / early adopterĒ group therapy post above. :P

Perhaps youíre onto the actual reason there, that Traxxas found the longer wheelbase to width ratio ultimately made it handle better off-road, even though it made it less than ideal on road? But then there are a good number of experienced users going to wider +10mm hexes and being very thankful for the extra stability.

Thereís so many details I donít know about whatís going on behind the scenes. Maybe the wider arms break easy, and Traxxas knew people would do ridiculous jumps and complain when it broke? Maybe the wide arms make it handle like a dog?... but Traxxas knew weíd jump up and down if we didnít get wider arms, and offered them to give the people more of what they want?

Like I said, a million things I donít know, Traxxas could only be trying to do the very best they can by their customers. Iíd be much happier to be wrong than right, and would genuinely feel very sorry for questioning their motive when it was honourable and just...

But. I do think given the timing and way this particular situation has played out, the questionable benefits of the narrow version, and the fairly minor difference between the narrow and wide versions anyway... it is a simple and fair question to ask... Why was the Maxx not made with the wider arms in the first place?

RC Competitor
    the wide kit sure did come out fast and does make you wonder why it wasn't released with it in the first place? I was a little angry to see the parts come out so fast and I was quick to think this was just a way for them to get back some R and D dollars spent on the platform. but it was Razors comment saying "I'm guessing they shipped with that to keep the stock XMaxx type proportions rather than an extra wide Truggy look." that reminded me of why I ever even looked at the maxx. I am part of what may not be a huge group but I am sure there are others like me thinking the same thing before the maxx came out. I was thinking of how much I wanted a XMAXX but I really did not have the room to store it with my other rcs and I also don't have a lot of room to run it. once I saw the first Maxx email from traxxas I was HOOKED and I think that was because I finally could get a mini "XMAXX" for myself and I loved it. its that reason I think it was released with the short arms and then the wide kit released to get closer to the E-maxx/Revo performance but it no longer looks like a XMAXX. Mabey in the future traxxas will release a rtr wide maxx with a different body and tires but shares 90% of its parts with the original maxx. who knows

RC Qualifier
    Perhaps that is the reason. And maybe when scaled down the Maxx ended up with relatively more mass higher up, and they realised the wide arms were going to be a necessity. And full credit to Traxxas for making that option available quickly.

Thatís a question for those who own both a Maxx and the X Maxx, do they both have the same stability? Iím very interested to hear peopleís thoughts on that.

Iíve thought a bit on what may have happened to the Maxx there, due to the X Maxx not getting a wider set of arms. Maybe it will?

The defence of the Maxx roll overs Iíve seen most often is that itís a Ďmonster truckí and itís high (which I like), but in my mind monster trucks are also wider, so they donít roll over. When I think Ďtruckí I tend towards LCG. Thatís just my personal thoughts though.

Anyway, very valid point, liking the look as is! I think thereís probably a lot of people who think that too!

RC Qualifier
    Oh! And second your thoughts on a dedicated wide Maxx model! Hopefully it will be like the slash ultimate and come with the alloy C-Hubs etc... and the steel driveshafts

RC Enthusiast
    I've done my X-Maxx a disservice by running it a couple of times with heavy Proline Badlands tires. One of the negative effects has been a loosening of my servo saver. I haven't taken the time to crack it open and make an adjustment. As a result I have to steer it more with the throttle - kinda similar to UDR driving. My Maxx is opposite of this in that I can steer hard off-throttle. This combined with the narrower stance means it's more likely to roll over than my X-Maxx. I'll wait to hear what people say about how the wide kit changes the handling characteristics, but I would like to retain the faster steering of the Maxx - even if it means having to be more mindful of rollovers. It's cold, muddy and snowy here right now in Colorado so I haven't been getting in as many quality runs as I would like.

RC Competitor
    Oh! And second your thoughts on a dedicated wide Maxx model! Hopefully it will be like the slash ultimate and come with the alloy C-Hubs etc... and the steel driveshafts
    That would be cool if they did. Ultimate maxx could be the 1/10 child of an Xmaxx crossed with a Erevo maby even come with the vxl6s esc and a bigger battery tray Whoa! That would be a killer truck. But probably won’t happen.

RC Qualifier
    They have green parts up their sleeve, so itíll be interesting what happens there too.

Itís funny how the erevo, x-Maxx and UDR etc are on their own pretty much, yet the 1/10ís are a whole ecosystem of parts sharing.

I hope the Maxx ends up in a ecosystem of vehicles and not a one off.

RC Competitor
    I think that is because 1/10 is so popular. It’s not to small not to big. Not to expensive eaither. Let’s hope the maxx brings extreme power/durability to more 1/10 trucks.

RC Qualifier
    For sure. The possibility the Maxx is the stampede 4x4 of the family, and there could be LCG slash and rustler 4x4 family members is really enticing. Maybe just make the slash a monster slash :P

A world of possibility there.

Maxx has the exact same wheelbase as a Slash, and I don't think that was an accident.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast