Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RC Competitor
    Can go full 17mm hex setup with traxxas 5353x. Credit youtube!

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    My LHS charges $10/hr for labor...lol...I cant touch that! P

FWIW, I dont care if the Maxx doesn't look real. Like I said, I like detailing the crawlers...the Maxx is just a fun basher for me.
    Man, that's a really good labor rate. Here (on Delmarva) it's 65 dollars an hour plus parts. I think a better word (that I can identify with) would be "believable" rather than "real." Very few (IMO) RC vehicles are realistic, but many are believable. (IMO) most of Traxxas stuff is believable...Maxx included.

P.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    You forgot Jedi Knight!
    You're right I did. Yes, I agree it was to bad our stuff got dumped. We were definitely off subject, but sometimes MAN subjects need to be expressed....I learned how to do that a long time ago in my Man Training 101 class. (lol)
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 10-21-2019 at 01:22 PM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Man, that's a really good labor rate. Here (on Delmarva) it's 65 dollars an hour plus parts. I think a better word (that I can identify with) would be "believable" rather than "real." Very few (IMO) RC vehicles are realistic, but many are believable. (IMO) most of Traxxas stuff is believable...Maxx included.
    I'm thinking more like the TRX's and the UDR...

I see what you are saying.

Man, that's a really good labor rate. Here (on Delmarva) it's 65 dollars an hour plus parts. .
    Um...so I took my Evil-O and Summit in to get the servos replaced and their $10/hr sign was gone and I got quoted $40 for labor. So I don't know what that is per hour but to me still worth having them do both cars.

RC Qualifier
    Just wanted to share a thought that occurred to me regarding the battery tray sizing by Traxxas.

I was checking out some of the newer Chinese lipos and they seemed to be overall smaller than previous packs and seemingly compatible with the Maxx sizing.

So, perhaps with Traxxas being in the lipo business and being privy to upcoming lipo technology trends, maybe what is behind the sizing is a push toward the future of lipo tech where we have smaller cells with similar or better capacities / discharge rates?

I was a bit miffed initially that I wouldn’t be able to use my existing standard size 2S packs in series. But if it means the Maxx is more compatible with a future where packs are smaller then I’m all for that.

That may be wishful thinking but good to give them the benefit of the doubt. Obviously a massive amount of thought and planning has gone into the Maxx.

Um...so I took my Evil-O and Summit in to get the servos replaced and their $10/hr sign was gone and I got quoted $40 for labor. So I don't know what that is per hour but to me still worth having them do both cars.
    That's still a pretty good labor rate. Even at that, you're a better man than I am. When you're a ReglarGuy 40 bucks is a lot of money. A ReglarGuy can almost buy a new house with 40 bucks.

What I do is work on my stuff after I workout and before my wife has dinner ready. That time usually varies between 20 to 45 minutes. If I didn't work on my RC stuff that time would be wasted in front of the TV time anyway, so spending that time on my stuff is no big deal.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 10-25-2019 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by boosta View Post
    I was a bit miffed initially that I wouldn’t be able to use my existing standard size 2S packs in series. But if it means the Maxx is more compatible with a future where packs are smaller, then I’m all for that. That may be wishful thinking, but good to give them the benefit of the doubt. Obviously a massive amount of thought and planning has gone into the Maxx.
    There's no doubt that a reasonable amount of thought went into the new Maxx, and I'm like you. I think its important for a person to put their best foot forward, and to give people the benefit of the doubt. But I got to tell you, when it comes to 500 bucks, I got to know. I'm just not comfortable spending that kind of money, and not knowing for sure that things will work out the way I want.

I think I know, now, the reason (I've been thinking about this) why I was so disappointed when the new Maxx came out. It's not that it wasn't nicely done. It's because, when the Emaxx got discontinued, I was hoping for a new updated one.

When the Maxx came out, and it was only a 1/10 scale, I new that my beloved Emaxx was to be no more. If the Maxx would of at least been a 1/8th scale, I could of worked with that by transitioning from my old to the new. But as a 1/10 scale, that's just isn't doable. Having the final nail driven into my Emaxx's coffin kind of breaks my heart, but I'll get over it...someday...maybe a little. (lol) Fortunately, I'm a firm believer in "Time heels all wounds."
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 10-25-2019 at 04:11 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I was of a similar state of mind, however not owning an e maxx, but wanting something that size, and not wanting to tackle the learning curve if a new platform was coming.

I do think (or at least hope) that we’ll see more vehicles on this platform. I’m hoping the Maxx is the new stampede 2.0 and we’ll see maxx slashes and monster maxx slashes.

There are holes in the arms that look like they’re sway bar mounts, but there doesn’t seem to be any provision on the maxx for sway bars.

The maxx wheels also look a lot like short course wheels.

There was also a comment here somewhere (maybe in the hop up thread???) where a hobby shop was quoted as saying (possibly just rumouring) that there’ll be wide conversion arms coming.

It all seems possible! To me the maxx definitely seems like the smallest vehicle this chassis layout should support, so hopefully the platform has room to grow!
    Last edited by boosta; 10-25-2019 at 06:07 AM. Reason: what is up with emojis here :p

That's still a pretty good labor rate. Even at that, you're a better man than I am. When you're a ReglarGuy 40 bucks is a lot of money. A ReglarGuy can almost buy a new house with 40 bucks.

What I do is work on my stuff after I workout and before my wife has dinner ready. That time usually varies between 20 to 45 minutes. If I didn't work on my RC stuff that time would be wasted in front of the TV time anyway, so spending that time on my stuff is no big deal.
    A HOUSE for $40??? WHERE? LOL!

I don't have TV so that's not a problem...I have A TV but it only plays Prime and DVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by boosta View Post
    I was of a similar state of mind, however not owning an e maxx, but wanting something that size, and not wanting to tackle the learning curve if a new platform was coming.

I do think (or at least hope) that we’ll see more vehicles on this platform. I’m hoping the Maxx is the new stampede 2.0 and we’ll see maxx slashes and monster maxx slashes.
    I agree. I originally talked about that in my review video, but decided to cut it out. I think there will be a short course and other vehicles based on this drivetrain, Traxxas likes to stretch their design dollar and it makes sense considering this vehicle is the same wheelbase as a short course truck.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Qualifier
    Similar wheelbase to the E Maxx too so maybe the wide arms will make it the E Maxx 2.0? Seems like the mechanics will hold up to it, the maxx is a solid little nugget.

RegularGuy I forgot to mention I was reading your thread on replacing the emaxx diff pinion bearings with oilite bearings, that is really interesting.

I took the Maxx out to the dirt today and put it through its paces! What a fun truck...I ran two batteries through it and had quite a few tumbles, but it held up flawlessly!

Somehow I got a rock wedged in between the body and the roof skid plate...it required pliers to pull out, but no harm done!

FWIW, the truck still looks beautiful dirty!

Remember, I did say "almost." You can definitely buy a house around here for 40 bucks...plus or minus 249,960 thousand. (lol)

I don't have TV so that's not a problem...I have A TV but it only plays Prime and DVDs.
    I'm like you. I don't have much time for TV. I only have an hour a day to sit and watch television before beddy-by. That hour is my time for Xbox, a DVD, or a Prime movie with my wife. I do listen to Fox news while I'm working out, though, but I have to listen rather than sitting and relaxing with it.

RC Competitor
    Well, back to batteries. I just ordered my Maxx. Finally found one online for $530, no tax. I started to look for batteries and found this one, 14.8V 20C Hardcase Pack. Nice that it's a hard case. It measures 137 x 47 x 40 so hoping it will fit like the SMC. At $32.38 a piece, seems like a pretty good value. I can buy two for less than one SMC and have money left over. I should have the truck and batteries around Thursday next week. We will see. I already have some 3s that will fit so I am good there.

*There are brand name items from a certain overseas website that are banned from being mentioned here. If the language filter has been tripped please edit your post.
    Last edited by Double G; 10-27-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Remember, I did say "almost." You can definitely buy a house around here for 40 bucks...plus or minus 249,960 thousand. (lol)
    That's about what I paid for mine four years ago.

RC Racer
    heres a video of a guy who tries a few different lipos that do fit .

https://youtu.be/JFk79Zrmj0Q
    slash P 4x4/cen colossus/rustler vxl/arrma kraton

Quote Originally Posted by funmoneypit View Post
    Well, back to batteries. I just ordered my Maxx. Finally found one online for $530, no tax. I started to look for batteries and found this one, ******* 5000mAh 4S1P 14.8V 20C Hardcase Pack. Nice that it's a hard case. It measures 137 x 47 x 40 so hoping it will fit like the SMC. At $32.38 a piece, seems like a pretty good value. I can buy two for less than one SMC and have money left over. I should have the truck and batteries around Thursday next week. We will see. I already have some 3s that will fit so I am good there.
    20C is a very, very low C rating, I would have recommended buying something 50C+.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    20C is a very, very low C rating, I would have recommended buying something 50C+.
    Thanks for the recommendation but I run 20c in all my 6s stuff. They do very well. I would put it up against most batteries. The Maxx with 3s is very fast. Any 4s battery makes it stupid fast. For just bashing, I doubt most would notice much difference. If one was drag racing or track racing then I can see spending the extra money, bashing, I would rather spend the extra cash on upgrades. YMMV

RC Competitor
    Maybe I am missing something. Can you tell me why you would suggest a 50c+?

My 20c, 5000mAh will give me 100a continuously or 200a burst. I am guessing the Maxx 2400kv motor will draw less than 80a at full throttle (probably closer to 70a) so I am good there. I do understand that a higher c rating would give me more room and work the batteries less but is it that much of a difference compared to price. I know my batteries will get warmer and most likely not last as long but at the price point, I can certainly buy more.

I certainly don't know everything about lipo batteries and I am always willing to learn more.

Quote Originally Posted by helizrnew2me View Post
    heres a video of a guy who tries a few different lipos that do fit .

https://youtu.be/JFk79Zrmj0Q
    Nice informative video, but the yellow watchband and bracelets got to go.

Nice informative video, but the yellow watchband and bracelets got to go.
    Dang! I was thinking the same thing! LOL

I always think it's strange when someone (Especially men) have many adornments...rings, bracelets etc.

Maybe I am missing something. Can you tell me why you would suggest a 50c+?

My 20c, 5000mAh will give me 100a continuously or 200a burst. I am guessing the Maxx 2400kv motor will draw less than 80a at full throttle (probably closer to 70a) so I am good there. I do understand that a higher c rating would give me more room and work the batteries less but is it that much of a difference compared to price. I know my batteries will get warmer and most likely not last as long but at the price point, I can certainly buy more.

I certainly don't know everything about lipo batteries and I am always willing to learn more.
    The C ratings are not real, that said it's the only thing you have to go by to determine relative quality. The red brand recommends 45C+ in their cars, and I think that's a good rule to go by for Traxxas vehicles too. The Lipos I see that have the most problems (heat up, puff, voltage sag, etc.) are the lower C rating ones. Not that there probably aren't good low C Lipos that work, just that all of the high C rating Lipos I've seen have no problem keeping up on high current draws.

RC Competitor
    The C ratings are not real, that said it's the only thing you have to go by to determine relative quality. The red brand recommends 45C+ in their cars, and I think that's a good rule to go by for Traxxas vehicles too. The Lipos I see that have the most problems (heat up, puff, voltage sag, etc.) are the lower C rating ones. Not that there probably aren't good low C Lipos that work, just that all of the high C rating Lipos I've seen have no problem keeping up on high current draws.
    Ok, makes sense. Thanks!

Odd as it may sound, when I stopped trying to save money on everything is when I really started having money to save...
    Yeah, it does sound weird, but with most anything, when you spend more on better stuff, you end up spending less than if you take the cheaper route.

The cheapest route I try to go is using ebay or sales whenever possible. I usually aim for decent quality stuff because I know it will pay dividends later by lasting longer or just working better, which ends up paying me with enjoyment.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Competitor
    This one fit like a glove

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

RC Qualifier
    They look a good fit and seem a good quality lipo.

Pretty slick the orange and blue matches the Maxx too!

Quote Originally Posted by IamRevoMaster View Post

Without the foam padding I assume?

RC Competitor

Does it fit height wise? Maybe I am seeing something else but it looks like the lock down for the battery holder in the bottom of your Pic. Looks like the battery is taller than the hold down.

RC Competitor

Does it fit height wise? Maybe I am seeing something else but it looks like the lock down for the battery holder in the bottom of your Pic. Looks like the battery is taller than the hold down.
    I just checked the specs. The height is 47.5mm. How does this fit like a glove. Unless I am missing something, this battery won't be able to be locked down with the stock lock-downs. Did you do some sort of mod?

RC Competitor
    I just checked the specs. The height is 47.5mm. How does this fit like a glove. Unless I am missing something, this battery won't be able to be locked down with the stock lock-downs. Did you do some sort of mod?
    Width and length are perfect. Stock battery hold down useless. Velcro strap for height. For the rating of the battery well worth the Velcro straps

2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

RC Competitor
    Width and length are perfect. Stock battery hold down useless. Velcro strap for height. For the rating of the battery well worth the Velcro straps

]

Ok, gotcha. I am guessing that if you are going to ditch the factory hold down, there are tons of batteries that will work. I guess I would just stick with the SMC 7200mAh 75c. Fits perfect with the battery hold down and costs less but that's just me. Either way I am sure that battery will work great.

RC Competitor
    ]

Ok, gotcha. I am guessing that if you are going to ditch the factory hold down, there are tons of batteries that will work. I guess I would just stick with the SMC 7200mAh 75c. Fits perfect with the battery hold down and costs less but that's just me. Either way I am sure that battery will work great.
    You don’t have to remove the factory hold downs to run this battery. You just have to add the Velcro straps. Best of both worlds.
    2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

RC Competitor
    You don’t have to remove the factory hold downs to run this battery. You just have to add the Velcro straps. Best of both worlds.
    Ah, ok. Nice!

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the notice!! I almost bought that battery. It would've really sucked if I did and it didn't "fit like a glove".

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by DG40 View Post
    Thanks for the notice!! I almost bought that battery. It would've really sucked if I did and it didn't "fit like a glove".
    No problem. That's what I was afraid of. Someone would see the comment and take it to mean it fits stock. Look at the SMC True Spec 4s 7200mAh lipo. It does fit like a glove. Nice battery and is a little cheaper. You can also order it with a Traxxas connector if that is what you are using.

RC Competitor
    Without the foam padding I assume?
    Foam padding is still there. Just a little taller

2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

RC Racer
    well this sucks, i just ordered my new maxx with a traxxas 4s 6700 liop, the 2890x lol. guess i will lose the battery door and go with straps lol.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cris View Post
    well this sucks, i just ordered my new maxx with a traxxas 4s 6700 liop, the 2890x lol. guess i will lose the battery door and go with straps lol.
    Why not. Then you can run a lot more different types of battery’s and not limited
    2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

RC Competitor
    No problem. That's what I was afraid of. Someone would see the comment and take it to mean it fits stock. Look at the SMC True Spec 4s 7200mAh lipo. It does fit like a glove. Nice battery and is a little cheaper. You can also order it with a Traxxas connector if that is what you are using.
    Cheaper because of rating and quality. 100c pack with 200c burst in a hard pack with great warranty. You get what you pay for. Also you do not have to remove the stock battery hold down to run this battery. Just add Velcro straps and you get the best of both worlds. This way you are not limited to what battery’s you want to use.
    2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast