Thread: Busted shock

RC poster

Busted shock

I have a stock slash 4x4 vxl and my shock cap popped off. All my local hobby shops are telling me not to get the aluminum shock caps. They just want me to upgrade the shocks. So I am looking for suggestions on what to do. I do some bashing and jumping with the truck.

RC Racer
    I bought the caps and run the stock shocks on my basher. I donít have a lot of good jumps to get a lot of air with mine but these have held up ok for me. Once I had the top cap rip off but I could screw it back in, and twice I had the bottom connection to the a arm strip out and come off the shaft but at $15/set Iím ok keeping them on my trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by cooleocool; 10-05-2019 at 10:26 PM. Reason: merge

Quote Originally Posted by Smott View Post
    I have a stock slash 4x4 vxl and my shock cap popped off. All my local hobby shops are telling me not to get the aluminum shock caps. They just want me to upgrade the shocks. So I am looking for suggestions on what to do. I do some bashing and jumping with the truck.
    That is not a good LHS then because they are just trying to get you to spend more money. The aluminum shock caps are great on ultra shocks. Even if you buy better shocks later on you will want the stock ones as backups with the aluminum caps.

If you do decide to buy new shocks go with Traxxas GTR shocks they come on the Platinum and Ultimate. They preform awesome and don't leak plus take high jumps like champs. But by means think they are required to have a good bash or even race.

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Slash.../dp/B00ERUGL9S
    Last edited by zedorda; 10-05-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    . . . they are just trying to get you to spend more money.
    This is definitely a possibility. Generally speaking, aluminum shock caps will be all that you need to prevent blown shock caps. I run stock (plastic) shock bodies with aluminum caps on several of my vehicles without issue.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    That is not a good LHS then because they are just trying to get you to spend more money. The aluminum shock caps are great on ultra shocks. Even if you buy better shocks later on you will want the stock ones as backups with the aluminum caps.

If you do decide to buy new shocks go with Traxxas GTR shocks they come on the Platinum and Ultimate. They preform awesome and don't leak plus take high jumps like champs. But by means think they are required to have a good bash or even race.

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Slash.../dp/B00ERUGL9S
    Keep an eye on Jennysrc as well. They come back in stock every couple days

RC poster
    So and ended up buying the wrong caps. So I fixed the old shocks. The my son has an arrma granite and bent his one shock , so I ended up buying him new shocks from jennysrc and my self the gtr shocks too.

RC Competitor
    Alloy shock caps are one of the first, essential hop ups for the Slash. The plastic caps are crap. No one is trying to rip you off.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
    Alloy shock caps are one of the first, essential hop ups for the Slash. The plastic caps are crap. No one is trying to rip you off.
    The LHS told them NOT to buy the metal shock caps and that they should buy new shocks. Seems like a grab for a better profit margin to me.

Aluminum caps are a great upgrade for the ultra shocks.

The problem is that when the stock shock cap goes under a heavy load it deforms, if the deformation is big enough, the cap loses contact with the treads and the cap comes off. But, in the process threads on the shock body can be damaged. So, if a cap has popped off of a particular shock, then it is a good idea to replace that shock body when upgrading to aluminum caps.

And I agree, it sounds like your LHS doesn't know what they are talking about, or are trying to get you to spend money.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Everything I own or have built has plastic Slash ultra shocks with aluminum caps and have had not a failure one with them (typically a rear shock on the front of my rigs, different brand on the rear because of the required length). A Slash rear with the aluminum cap is the go to standard on the front of my scratch builds, simply because they work well and you don't have to mess with them. I don't run the track, so shaving nanoseconds off my time is not of concern. My experience on my Slash has been pulling the lower shock mounting screw out of the passenger side rear arm on occasion after "sending it" numerous times. Never a bent shaft...... I will take ultra shocks all day long with aluminum caps.

RC Competitor
    The LHS told them NOT to buy the metal shock caps and that they should buy new shocks. Seems like a grab for a better profit margin to me.
    That’s what I get for being half blind and still trying to speed read.

RC poster
    Trust me, do it. The stocks are absolute crap, they want you to upgrade, but not JUST because they want the money. If you buy the Traxxas aluminum ones, you'll be set for a while. I've been using my upgraded ones for 3 months now, broke the OEM ones on the third run.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedieGonzales View Post
    Trust me, do it. The stocks are absolute crap, they want you to upgrade, but not JUST because they want the money. If you buy the Traxxas aluminum ones, you'll be set for a while. I've been using my upgraded ones for 3 months now, broke the OEM ones on the third run.
    The stock shocks are just fine if you upgrade to TiN coated shafts and metal caps. It is much cheaper than new ones.

RC poster
    I bought the gtr shocks but what screws do I need. Because the stock screws are shoulder bolts and they don't fit the gtr shocks top eye bolts.

I bought the gtr shocks but what screws do I need. Because the stock screws are shoulder bolts and they don't fit the gtr shocks top eye bolts.
    Per exploded view:
    https://traxxas.com/explodedviews/Sl...Front-Assembly

Screws:
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/2579
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein