RC Enthusiast

Which TRX-4 to buy?

Hey all, I am looking to get into the crawler world finally

I've decided on the TRX-4 line, but cannot decide between the many different models

I can build kits or buy RTR, doesn't matter to me

Just looking for the best bang for the buck

I will be using it for crawling, mudding, and some trail driving between crawling spots

RC Qualifier
    I have been trying to tackle the same question, pouring over videos and threads. I have Combe to this conclusion.

If you want lockers and 2 speeds, the Bronco RTR or the Builders kit is a wash. So it comes down to do you want to build it yourself and make your own body.

As far as the Sport, I would build it. I priced it with a HW1080, HH Motor, and HD servo from amazon for $370. Add a Flysky GT5 controller for 75$.. this I知 not putting in my budget because it can and will control my Stampede and Slash build I知 finish up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualungs View Post
    I have been trying to tackle the same question, pouring over videos and threads. I have Combe to this conclusion.

If you want lockers and 2 speeds, the Bronco RTR or the Builders kit is a wash. So it comes down to do you want to build it yourself and make your own body.

As far as the Sport, I would build it. I priced it with a HW1080, HH Motor, and HD servo from amazon for $370. Add a Flysky GT5 controller for 75$.. this I知 not putting in my budget because it can and will control my Stampede and Slash build I知 finish up.

The Flysky has 5 channels and gyro for Slash and stampede. It痴 an awesome radio and better than the TQI I知 using.

RC Enthusiast
    I own five TRX 4s, Chevy Bronco Merc g500 Defender and Sport, if i could only keep one it would be the Sport, but waiting for the TRX 6 so could change my mind, my second choice would be the G500 this truck seems to go anywhere.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by UKC View Post
    I own five TRX 4s, Chevy Bronco Merc g500 Defender and Sport, if i could only keep one it would be the Sport, but waiting for the TRX 6 so could change my mind, my second choice would be the G500 this truck seems to go anywhere.
    So you don't feel the two speed trans or locking diffs are worth the money?

RC Enthusiast
    Yes i do think there worth it but i really love the Sport, i am very lucky where i live i can go out of my back gate onto all sorts of terrain, sometimes i rotate my trucks but for some reason the Sport handles everything i throw at it, it would be fair to say your locations could be very different to mine, depends what mood i'm in today was the Chevy's turn though.

RC poster
    gotta admit, i bought the kit, kinda surprised how quick it was for a crawler in high gear, and its just plain for having the option of the locking diffs.....i kinda dig it....

RC Competitor
    Well, I have no "good" answer to this, as everyone prefers different types, but I made a list based on my opinions and some of my friend's opinions.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most customizable: Land Rover Defender, and Bronco, many different aftermarkets stores such as RC4WD offer many different aftermarket accessories for the Defender and Bronco.

Best Looking: In my opinion, the TRX4 Land Rover and the TRX6 Mercedes 6x6 are the best looking ones. The Mercedes G500 4x4 looks a bit toyish in my opinion.

Best price/Performance: The TRX4 Sport offers the best combo of price and performance. It lacks some of the functions of a normal TRX4, such as the 2-speed transmission, but it is much lighter and can climb steeper inclines.

Best Performance: The TRX6 has the best performance, it can climb a steeper incline and has greater traction than the normal TRX4, I own a TRX6 and it performs just as well, if not better as a TRX4 defender, but it is 200 dollars more than the normal TRX4s, so that is a disadvantage.

Other: the TRX4 tactical is just a normal TRX4 with a different body, there isn't really a difference in performance as a Bronco/Defender

You should choose one that you like the most.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    Well, I have no "good" answer to this, as everyone prefers different types, but I made a list based on my opinions and some of my friend's opinions.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most customizable: Land Rover Defender, and Bronco, many different aftermarkets stores such as RC4WD offer many different aftermarket accessories for the Defender and Bronco.

Best Looking: In my opinion, the TRX4 Land Rover and the TRX6 Mercedes 6x6 are the best looking ones. The Mercedes G500 4x4 looks a bit toyish in my opinion.

Best price/Performance: The TRX4 Sport offers the best combo of price and performance. It lacks some of the functions of a normal TRX4, such as the 2-speed transmission, but it is much lighter and can climb steeper inclines.

Best Performance: The TRX6 has the best performance, it can climb a steeper incline and has greater traction than the normal TRX4, I own a TRX6 and it performs just as well, if not better as a TRX4 defender, but it is 200 dollars more than the normal TRX4s, so that is a disadvantage.

Other: the TRX4 tactical is just a normal TRX4 with a different body, there isn't really a difference in performance as a Bronco/Defender

You should choose one that you like the most.
    I totally agree very well said Titanium.

RC Enthusiast
    I ended up buying the TRX-4 Sport Kit. I can put my own electronics in it, paint it the color I want, and from what I heard from my buddies who crawl, they don't have two-speed transmissions or the ability to lock/unlock diffs, and they enjoy their trucks anyways

Thanks everyone!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyle View Post
    I ended up buying the TRX-4 Sport Kit. I can put my own electronics in it, paint it the color I want, and from what I heard from my buddies who crawl, they don't have two-speed transmissions or the ability to lock/unlock diffs, and they enjoy their trucks anyways

Thanks everyone!
    Cool, can稚 wait to see your build! Like someone said you can always add 2 speed. Besides 4-5 mph is still quick, and if you do the HW esc/HH motor and it will be even quicker than stock. Look at it this way people have been crawling with only locked diffs all these years. One less thing to go wrong too. I知 still trying to decide too. Someone in the area had a new wrapped Gwagon 500 for 325$. Waiting to hear back. Not my first choice but for that price I can get a new body and tires. Good luck!

RC Enthusiast
    Some people on the forums mentioned getting a fender kit for the Sport that will help protect the body

Can someone link me which one that is? The only ones I can find online are for the non-Sport models

RC poster
    the one with the narrow fenders is for the sport

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you. What batteries do you guys recommend?

I will be going with a HH 550 21T motor and HW 1080 ESC

RC Enthusiast
    I like a 2200 3s. i get around 30 mins with them usually.

RC Racer
    Battery needs/results are incredibly subjective, and i would advise buying a small 3s and large cap 2s so you can get the best of both worlds. When i feel like tearing up some dunes and running high speed, i shed the excess weights and run a 1500mah 3s. If im on the trail i load up and run a 5000 2s for creepin around. For ref my bronco packs out out at 10.5 lbs and i get about an hour on that 2s battery, 30 min on the 1500 3s.

RC Qualifier

Which TRX-4 to buy?

I have 4 3200mah 3s for my boat. I plan on using those. Would you reccomend picking up 5000 and a 1500?

RC Qualifier

Which TRX-4 to buy?

Ordered the Sport kit this morning from RC Superstore

Started a build thread:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...2s-Sport-build